• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Well, I am thinking of giving up motocross (hard to say) and getting a cruiser to ride with others in my family that have one. Looking at the Honda in a 750. What do yall think of this bike? I have never riden a street bike for any length of real time (a few minutes on a freinds Ninja 250, but my dirt bike felt better and more powerful!). My main issue is that I am 5'4" and seat height and how far forwrd the controls sit are major for me.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Have had several in my cycle days, A Czech Jawa, some Hondas, a Kawasaki 4 cylinder (nice) but it took a Harley Davidson Sportster or two to realize what
    a great way to go ! Bikes, like guns bring forth a lot of opinions....

hogrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Texas
    The Honda 750 is a good mid sized bike. But regardless of what bike you get I would suggest you get a custom saddle. It will be money well spent. I can't go more than 75 miles with a factory saddle. With your height you will need(probably) a custom.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    There are a few smaller-engined cruisers out there, but most are larger capacity (1000cc or greater). You might consider getting a mid-sized sportbike such as an older Honda CBR600RR or a standard bike in the 500-600cc range for a year or so first. I "crossed over" from dirtbike to street motorcycles many years ago (late 70s) and while you already know how to ride, riding in traffic is a different experience.

I would also recommend spending time on backroads for a while before tackling those with more vehicles on them. You are at an advantage of knowing what to do on a bike, but you still have to learn how to react to the seemingly endless supply of brain-dead drivers who don't know how to drive around bikes.

Good luck, and be sure to get all of the necessary gear (helmet, leather jacket, boots)! Not just the stylish stuff, but gear that will actually save your hide in case of an accident!

Cheers! M2

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    IMO, the Honda Shadow series is probably one of the best "starter" bikes out there. They hold their value better than about anything I've seen, and are pretty much "bullet-proof" in terms of reliability. Fast enough to get you where you wanna go, not so fast that you'll be tempted to see how much trouble you can get into......

THIS is comin' from a feller what got pulled over doin' 120 on a Goldwing.... Tip-Hat.jpg

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    My first bike was a Honda VTR1000 Superhawk...I know, it was crazy fun..but I took it easy for the first 1000 miles or so...Sold it and bought a KLR 650 in 08'...go anywhere fun.. Now I am thinking about selling it to pick up a cruiser.. I like the sporty cruisers....Mean Streak, Warrior, or dare I say a possible trip to the dark side...V-Rod....LOL..

or possibly pick up a normal cruiser off Craigslist...I don't think I would go any smaller than an 1100, or maybe even a 1300..mainly because I like to ride 2 up form time to time...best to have the extra power in the hills....

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I fully agree that starting on back roads is best. I could not even imagine riding in Houston strting off. I feel safe on a motocross track since it is other bikes and for the most part they know what they are doing. I am really leaning in the Honda 750 direction, but sat on a used Kawi Vulcan 900 at a shop the other day and loved it. It felt HEAVY though. I guess all of them will compared to my dirt bike! The Vulcan seemed to fit me good though. Seat height was low enough and I could reach the controls pretty good I think.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If the bike feels good and the controls are in a comfortable and natural position for you, then maybe you should take it for a test ride. Just try to take it out as long as they'll let ya, as bikes can be different on the road as compared to sitting in the showroom.

By the way, compared to most dirt bikes and especially motorcross bikes, almost all street bikes will feel heavy. Heck, even my 2005 CBR1000RR is just under 400 pounds dry; whereas a 2010 Honda CRF450R is almost half that (218lbs dry).

Cheers! M2

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I prefer adventure bikes for their dirt bike like ergonomics, higher seating position and pack-mule like carrying capacity. Cruisers just seem so uncomfortable to me after a while. Whatever you decide on, come on over to Two Wheeled Texans and join in the fun. My latest bike is on the left.

1.gif

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I'd hesitate to recommend a 600cc+ sportbike to start with. Not so much that it's too much speed for a new street rider (although that's true to an extent), but also because some have a higher center of gravity and greater seat height then a cruiser. I started with the Ninja 250 (wish I had it back) and have a Kawi ZZR600 now - the Zed is a little taller and felt kinda tippy when I started on it. The recommendation to get an aftermarket seat is a good idea - either Corbin or Sargent will do fine, although they're a bit pricey. Depending on the bike and seat, a new seat can lower the ride height just a bit.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Squid.

How did that stop go, BTW?

Pretty good, actually. He was so amazed ("I've never realized they could go that fast")<d'uH!!> that I immediately pulled over when he popped the hill an' nosedived goin' the other way ("I doubt I could've caught you...") that he let me off w/a warning!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    THIS is comin' from a feller what got pulled over doin' 120 on a Goldwing.... View attachment 6325

120? That's second gear on my CBR1000RR....

9Feb20063.jpg

And I disagree on the non-recommendation of a sport bike. Coming from motorcross bikes, the power shouldn't be too hard to control; and if anything it will be more balanced and handle better than a cruiser.

The only downside is that it will be faster, but we all have to learn how to keep the throttle under control!

Cheers! M2

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Might have to take you up on that. I've done plenty of 500+ mile days. An Iron Butt isnt out of the question.

And just to be an ass: what oil is best to use with my bike? Which tires are best Bridgestone or pirelli? And what is the best way to break in my new bike's engine? :)

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Depends on whether you're dry or wet clutch. The kind of bike will often dictate the tire - unlike car tires, what works well on one doesn't always transfer to another - even the riding style of the individual will influence what tire works best.

For me, ridin' it like I'm gonna ride it is how I've broken in my engines.

Top Bottom