• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    so you wanna help me find a scope?? :)

Two low priced scopes I've purchased recently are an Intensity 5-20x44 from Sportsman guide for $99, the best quality one I purchased for the price is a Mueller 4-14x44apv $114, think you would like it.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    What about a savage 111 in a 243 or 270?? Or just any bolt action rifle chambered in a 243 or 270?? Im not big on breakdown rifles except for a t/c. Heck what about a surplus sks??

Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    Well I have decided to look around for maybe a bolt action... just wondering if there are any suggestions in what y'all think would be a good start for me.. I'm not looking for something like AMAZING. Just something simple...

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think that a marlin XS7 would be a great start. It is reputable as a sub MOA rifle for around $300 and then we could get her a decent scope like a Leupold or Nikon to top it off.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Well I have decided to look around for maybe a bolt action... just wondering if there are any suggestions in what y'all think would be a good start for me.. I'm not looking for something like AMAZING. Just something simple...

Most of the new Savage models with accutrigger are super accurate out of the box. I purchased a used
    Model 25 223 cal that gives me .500 or less groups at 100 yards. All depends on what your needs are
    hunting, target, etc.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Both she plans to shoot pigs, and coyotes with it to. I could be wrong but I think she likes the whole 243 thing and that is just as good as anything so I don't care. I'll let her give ya her plans though.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Both she plans to shoot pigs, and coyotes with it to. I could be wrong but I think she likes the whole 243 thing and that is just as good as anything so I don't care. I'll let her give ya her plans though.

Personally I view the 243 as one of the best hunting caliber made especially for Texas deer,lite recoil,super accurate and with the 85grHP a clean one shot kill./

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah. I've seen a lot of 243's at the range and they're often a good choice for the predator hunters that shoot deer sometimes, they are a short action round so firing multiple shots without have to move you're head is always a plus when predators are on the list. And like I told her "this is your deal I'm hear to offer advice and suggestions when asked" well she seems to be wanting to hold out for a good bolt action and I personally think that is a great idea. It's her first gun so I want it to be the best that it can be because it's gonna be around for ever and she may not even want another one if she gets a good one on the first go. Then more for me! LOL

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    My dad shot a pig with his .243 a few weeks back and at 75 yrds the bullet entered the back of the skull and the exited the front leaving about a 2" hole.

Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    Lol I do plan on looking at the bolt actions and I'm pretty sure the .243 is what I want... guess we will see what happens. will probably end up at academy here soon to look at some more..

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Lol I do plan on looking at the bolt actions and I'm pretty sure the .243 is what I want... guess we will see what happens. will probably end up at academy here soon to look at some more..

My wife almost went with a .243, but we decided to get the .270. She shot it without any issues.. My first thought was to get a .270 and if she had issues with the recoil, we'll try going with the managed recoil ammo. But, after she fired a few rounds, no problems at all. She's 5'5" and weighs (well I'll say this much, alittle more than she did in high school). Still, she is a mid-frame and was ok with the .270. I'm still thinking of getting the managed recoil ammo, just to see if she likes it better... As for the rifle, finding one with an accu-trigger style is good. The Marlin XL7 is really nice and so is the Savage. In most cases, they will let you dry fire the rifle if you ask... Good luck..

Top Bottom