Texas SOT

Get your water heaters now. New regulations next month.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Water heaters produced after April 16, 2015 must conform to new energy efficiency standards. These translate to a mandatory increase of 3% – 30% greater efficiency vs. current models.

2015 Government Changes to Water Heaters WILL Affect You - Washington Energy

Federal Regulations Will Dramatically Increase Water Heater Replacement Prices For Austin Residents

In a nut shell.

Many plumbers are buying up as many of the water heaters they can to stockpile.

New water heaters may not fit into existing access holes or spaces like old ones causing costly renovations to that space.

They will not only cost more, the installation costs may be higher.

If you think you will need a water heater in the next year or so it might be wise to purchase one now and store it until you have to put it in.

(for all you nit pickers, notice how I did not say 'Hot Water Heater', LOL)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    (for all you nit pickers, notice how I did not say 'Hot Water Heater', LOL)

It's not nit picky if I'm right! :p

Timely info since my heater is kinda old and yes, space is limited. TKS.

Does anyone have particular recommendation(s) for propane heaters?

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    It heats colder water. Hot water does not need to be heated :)

I don;t think mine varies in temp much while not in use ... which is a majority of the time.
    So no cold water is being heated.

Once hot water is used and the tank replenished, then I agree ... it becomes a water heater.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I'm pretty sure the sensei's sarcasm is high gear but just in case, show a legitimate listing of a manufacturer calling it a "hot water heater" and I will concede (for today :p).

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I wouldn't be surprised if some manufacturers start making lower capacity tanks to match the dimensions of previous heaters. Of course that would mean the thing would run more and use more energy and do the opposite of what the EPidiots think it will do.

I wonder if it would cost less to refurbish an old one than the price of a new one. That's often not the case with these things, but with the government forcing the prices up artificially you never know.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    There is a bit of fear mongering mixed in with the rule change. FWIW, there are lots of existing water heaters that meet or beat the new NAECA regs and are the same or very close to the same physical size as the ones you're used to. There's little worry of not being able to purchase units that will fit your attic space - neck bearding is not necessary. It would obviously be suicide for the manufacturers to build units people can't actually install. Yes, SOME units may increase in diameter to accommodate thicker insulation, but it's not like a foot wider or anything - more like an inch or so. Either way, a quick browse of Home Depot's site shows many options smaller than the avg. 22.5" wide attic ladders that meet or exceed the new NAECA standard for a typical 40 gallon gas fired water heater.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Brains, not entirely correct.

My plumbers are worried about the new units not fitting in completed houses. They have the catalogs from the suppliers and are not worried about new construction, but replacing old ones. I am not saying buy a bunch of them if you are a homeowner, but get one now if you expect to have to replace yours in a year or two if it is in a hard to get to place. The cost will go up on the unit, and you may incur other costs to get it in. If you have ever replaced one, you know that a few inches can be a big deal.

It would obviously be suicide for the manufacturers to build units people can't actually install.

Not obvious at all, new units are installed at time of construction, big difference. It has not stopped them in the past from design changes, builders adapt. Homeowners suffer. Lots of thing that need replacement by the end user cause issues, the crafts/trades make more money off the homeowners.

We all know the plumbing regulations are stupid, conservation toilet sitting next to a 60 gallon tub, LOL. But it does not mean you can't prepare for future issues today, and make things easier.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    There is a bit of fear mongering mixed in with the rule change. FWIW, there are lots of existing water heaters that meet or beat the new NAECA regs and are the same or very close to the same physical size as the ones you're used to. There's little worry of not being able to purchase units that will fit your attic space - neck bearding is not necessary. It would obviously be suicide for the manufacturers to build units people can't actually install. Yes, SOME units may increase in diameter to accommodate thicker insulation, but it's not like a foot wider or anything - more like an inch or so. Either way, a quick browse of Home Depot's site shows many options smaller than the avg. 22.5" wide attic ladders that meet or exceed the new NAECA standard for a typical 40 gallon gas fired water heater.

Never saw an attic water heater til I moved to Texas. Hardly seems reasonable to store 40-50 gallons of water ABOVE the living space. Pretty sure that's what garage.basement space is for.

UH...Mr. Plumber, Sir...How much EXTRA will it be to remove our ATTIC water heater and drag another one up here?(Assuming ours doesn't leak before then).

Water heater in the attic????????????? Are we using gravity or sumthin'?

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I'm pretty sure the sensei's sarcasm is high gear but just in case, show a legitimate listing of a manufacturer calling it a "hot water heater" and I will concede (for today :p).

Everyone has their buttons ... some is grammar, some punctuation; and some hot water heater.

:p

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

My plumbers are worried about the new units not fitting in completed houses. They have the catalogs from the suppliers and are not worried about new construction, but replacing old ones. I am not saying buy a bunch of them if you are a homeowner, but get one now if you expect to have to replace yours in a year or two if it is in a hard to get to place. The cost will go up on the unit, and you may incur other costs to get it in. If you have ever replaced one, you know that a few inches can be a big deal.

Not obvious at all, new units are installed at time of construction, big difference. It has not stopped them in the past from design changes, builders adapt. Homeowners suffer. Lots of thing that need replacement by the end user cause issues, the crafts/trades make more money off the homeowners.

We all know the plumbing regulations are stupid, conservation toilet sitting next to a 60 gallon tub, LOL. But it does not mean you can't prepare for future issues today, and make things easier.

Out of context, lol.....

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring

I've lived in homes built from 1873 to 2010, and not one of those would have a problem installing available 2015 NAECA compliant units. In fact, the older homes I've lived in are the ones with the best options! Would some available units not fit in some of those homes? Definitely - but that was the case BEFORE the new regulations too. Have you read the regs? Have you looked up dimensions of compliant units? Have you measured your available space? I'm guessing you haven't, because when I first got wind of the news that's the first thing I did - and I found it was a non-issue. Ironically my current home (built in 2010) has the narrowest passage yet (22.5" attic ladder) and I have two 40 gallon Bradford White Defender heaters. They're 20" diameter by 59-3/8" tall, pre-2015 NAECA rule water heaters. A quick search on Lowe's and Home Depot finds newer, more efficient units that are identical in diameter, and with heights both taller and shorter than the units I currently have. There may be some cases where there MIGHT be a fit issue, but I can't jump on the fear bandwagon on this one. A simple measuring tape is all one needs to know for sure.

Never saw an attic water heater til I moved to Texas. Hardly seems reasonable to store 40-50 gallons of water ABOVE the living space. Pretty sure that's what garage.basement space is for.

UH...Mr. Plumber, Sir...How much EXTRA will it be to remove our ATTIC water heater and drag another one up here?(Assuming ours doesn't leak before then).

Water heater in the attic????????????? Are we using gravity or sumthin'?

I replaced the 40 gal unit in my previous home. It was fun lugging the new one up the stairs, and lugging the old one down. Wasn't too bad I suppose, but certainly not as easy were it to be in the garage or a basement with 36 inch wide stairs. On the plus side though, you get to make use of the "free" attic heat to cut down on gas/elec. costs.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    On the plus side though, you get to make use of the "free" attic heat to cut down on gas/elec. costs.
    Yeah, but you give back any saving in the winter. My WH is in the attic also and I hate it there. Wish it was in the garage but too much of a problem to relocate it.

Top Bottom