• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Looks like Randall’s (same company as Tom Thumb) has the same deal. Limit 1. The closest Randalls is a bit of a drive though.
    Randall's is actually owned by Albertsons. I went to work as an apprentice meat cutter for Randall's in 1982. They have been bought and sold first to KKR who gutted them, then Safeway who cheapened them & cut service and now Albertson's.

I was Randall's go from the Largest market share in Houston that where innovators in the industry, to a pretty ratty operation. I actually worked at the Sugarland store in 1983 when it was a Flagship store that Bob Onstead (on of the original Owners & Founders)wife shopped weekly. I was shipped back in 2018 when the amount of thefts of the charts and the ceiling leaked badly. I had enough of their shit & quit.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Not as good as a prime cut but good enough. Secret to good BBQ is always serve beer and make them wait.
    Smoked Brisket.JPG

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Not as good as a prime cut but good enough. Secret to good BBQ is always serve beer and make them wait.View attachment 459436
    The whole thing about making a great brisket is not about using a prime grade. Smoking a brisket is all about taking a lower grade tough piece of meat and through the process of slow cooking with smoke making it great.

Any one can slow cook a brisket inside the house using their oven. I have an oven cooked recipe that produces a killer brisket. Not that he was very intelligent but my father in law swore it was smoked.

A tender brisket is not unlike great fajitas, it’s all about the skill of turning what at one time were considered lower cuts of meat.

One of the reasons why briskets are stupidly high priced is all about them going from a nominal cut to a more popular one. The same thing applies to so many different cuts of meat or fish. The popularity of Blackened Redfish damn near decimated redfish.

I have a real chef friend, who told me a good chef can make something good out of flour and water, a great chef can make something out of water and air. I proved that to him with prime rib.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    The whole thing about making a great brisket is not about using a prime grade. Smoking a brisket is all about taking a lower grade tough piece of meat and through the process of slow cooking with smoke making it great.

Any one can slow cook a brisket inside the house using their oven. I have an oven cooked recipe that produces a killer brisket. Not that he was very intelligent but my father in law swore it was smoked.

A tender brisket is not unlike great fajitas, it’s all about the skill of turning what at one time were considered lower cuts of meat.

One of the reasons why briskets are stupidly high priced is all about them going from a nominal cut to a more popular one. The same thing applies to so many different cuts of meat or fish. The popularity of Blackened Redfish damn near decimated redfish.

I have a real chef friend, who told me a good chef can make something good out of flour and water, a great chef can make something out of water and air. I proved that to him with prime rib.
    Would you pm me that oven recipe. Since i sold my house I no longer have my own grill or smoker. I'd like to try one in the oven.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I smoke mine until they are 150/160 on the pellet grill, at which point the meat closes-up and doesn't absorb smoke anymore. Then she goes in foil in the oven to finish to 204. The bark may suffer in the foil, but nobody complains and I don't need to worry about the pellets going out and saves me pellets ( B & B are the best)

Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 13-49-54 B&B Charcoal Charcoal Chips Chunks Cooking Wood Pellets.png

Top Bottom