• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    First time I’ve seen Brisket under $2/lb in a long time. $1.87/lb at Kroger until July 4th. Too bad there’s a limit of 2.
    IMG_1194.jpeg

glenbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    That sounds good, but when you get them home and realize that over half of it is fat, the price per pound of edible meat just doubled.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    That sounds good, but when you get them home and realize that over half of it is fat, the price per pound of edible meat just doubled.
    Yes, there is some loss. Typically about 1/4 to 1/3 on the briskets the way they are packaged around here (weighed it one time, just out of curiosity) - at least the ones I pick out.. Yes, it increases the cost. Haven't seen as good a sale as $1.87, but have seen $2.50. A third trimmed off puts that at ~$3.75/lb. That is still a good price, less than ground beef normally is priced.

Even it it is half, with what the OP paid it is pretty dang good.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I dealt with more briskets than most people could comprehend. The days of pallets of briskets for the Fourth of July @.99 cents was just the way it was.

The packing house are no fools when it comes to what they were doing, so they shipped them out like you’re talking about. It’s easier for the market to pull out the nice ones to trim. I had been in stores where flats out sold the trimmed.

I have seen brisket that were so pretty that most people would cray over. Straight grind producing 80% without trimming. Most meat cutters would buy as much ground as they did whole packers. Meat cutters tend to be fat beer drinking brisket smoking dudes. Never trust a skinny meat cutter.

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    I hope HEB will follow suit.

There's good use for that fat!
    Looks like HEB still has them $3.46/lb…

Yes, there is some loss. Typically about 1/4 to 1/3 on the briskets the way they are packaged around here (weighed it one time, just out of curiosity) - at least the ones I pick out.. Yes, it increases the cost. Haven't seen as good a sale as $1.87, but have seen $2.50. A third trimmed off puts that at ~$3.75/lb. That is still a good price, less than ground beef normally is priced.

Even it it is half, with what the OP paid it is pretty dang good.
    Glad you’re a glass half full type of person. As far back as I can remember, briskets sold during holidays were always untrimmed.

I guess it had been since pre Rona that I’d seen them for less than $2/lb, just wanted to pass the info along to other folks here who might enjoy smoking.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Picked up two this morning which is the limit. I go when they open for better selection. They don't look bad at all though you always need to trim some of the fat off. They had a few with really thick points and very skinny flats that I skipped. Anywhere from 8.5lbs to 15lbs at my local store. I'm hungry already.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I took a look at the Kroger briskets- there were 6 to chose from, and they all were rejected. They were 50% fat and had grey freezer burn. The fat was all speckled and unappetizing. Excel was the packer on the cryovac.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I took a look at the Kroger briskets- there were 6 to chose from, and they all were rejected. They were 50% fat and had grey freezer burn. The fat was all speckled and unappetizing. Excel was the packer on the cryovac.
    They shouldn't have freezer burn. I think what you saw was along the one side of the flat is from boning it out.

Top Bottom