• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Well, we got in our first Generation 4 Glock and I had a chance to look it over.

Some things that I noticed about it:

- The frame is more ergonomic and the "Glock Hump" is less aggressive (Think SF frame)
    - Backstraps simply attach to the back of the grip via a cross pin.
    - Dual recoil spring system like the HK USP (Should improve reliability and reduce felt recoil)
    - Recoil spring force is increased considerably (Harder to rack the slide back)
    - More aggressive stipling, not nearly as effect as the RTF2, but it's better than what they had.
    - Mag release is 200% larger and more intuitive (I like it alot over the previous Gens.)
    - Old magazines work just fine with the new mag release.

Everything else is standard Glock as usual.

1.jpg

Gen 4 has a dual spring recoil system and thicker guide rod.

2.jpg

Gen 4 has a slimmer "Glock hump" and feels much better in my hands (more of a 1911 grip fan).

3.jpg

Gen 4 has a modified Rough Texture Frame (RTF) which helps the frame to bite into your hands. This is good for control, especially in wet hands or cold hands. Polymer guns need all the bite they can get.

4.jpg

Gen 4 has a larger slide end to hold the larger guide rod. The Gen 3 in the picture is a .40, hence the barrel difference.

5.jpg

Gen 4 has a much larger mag release.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Gen 4 not guaranteed to get you a date. (Co-worker shows it off)
    Hurley's Gold

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Nice.

I handled the 22 last Saturday. Liked it alot. Fits my grubby sausage fingers pretty well. Slightly more comfortable than my 19, but not by much.
    Didnt get a chance to shoot it though. Or try the different back panels.
    Will I trade up when the 19 G4 comes out? Maybe.
    Not in a hurry.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Thanks for the review...

I would like to get a Glock 10mm and make that my pig gun. I think I'll wait to see if there's any issues with the Gen. 4 before buying one.

30+GSXR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    YEAH - Thanks for the review on the new Glocks. I was wondering about the new mag release and compatibility with my older 33 rounders

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    The mag release is HUGE!!!!!!

i shot the 4th get yesterday and that mag release has to go. I dropped the mag 3 times within 7 mags worth of ammo.

that thing is just not necessary big. The Straps don't really make a noticeable different in my hands either. But the recoil is less. Even it being BRAND new opposed to a well broken in gen 3 17 the gen 4 had a softer recoil with less muzzle rise.

i'll wait a little longer and let them work out the bugs.. there are already reports coming out of dependability issues.

JOe

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    Hay Tex, thanks for the note.
    Question about the back strap. When they are installed, are they rock solid secure.
    I have seen pictures on how they attach and it looks iffy.
    How in your opinion sturdy are they?
    I am waiting for the G19 to come out, picked it for my next CCW if I like it after shooting.
    Gen3 G17 is a sweet heart. Hoping the Gen4 G19 stays true.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    i'll wait a little longer and let them work out the bugs.. there are already reports coming out of dependability issues.

JOe

I would be VERY suspicious of dependability issues. Nothing has changed about the functionality of the pistol beyond the recoil spring, which has increased considerably in pull weight. This translates to people that have poor grip will have far, far more short stroke issues.

I took a bunch of pics and will post them tomorrow.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Any word of a GEN 4 Glock 21 or are they just updating the venerable 9mm version?

Great review and pics BTW.

All of their gun line will be going to Gen 4. They are releasing the more popular version first which includes the 9mm and .40 line, the 10mm / .45 ACP should be along shortly.

I wish they would build a SF Gen 4 21 ... I'd be real tempted to get one.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Heck, I would be happy with a compromise between the 21 and 36SF...give me a compact between the full-size and subcompact! Would have owned one years ago!

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I wanted to see an ambi slide release and mag release for weak handed shooting.

Technically, it's a slide stop, not a slide release. Some simple training methods would remedy any problems that arrise from weak handed shooting. I'm sure you already know that, but it's amazing how many customers believe the hollywood-style use of the so-called slide release is the only way to chamber a new round.

Also, the mag release is reversible like a SIG or Beretta.

jagged97

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Euless, TX
    i'm on the verge of pulling the trigger (pun intended) on a g17 gen4 at the big 'd' show on saturday.

has anyone who has actually run this pistol had any issues? if so, what?

Top Bottom