• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    My first post and new to reloading. New as in reading and learning (and purchasing a few components here and there) with hopes of being able to get into the game in a once the supply chains are restored.

I would like to reload for 30-06, 30-30, 308 and probably 300 Win Mag. Since these reloads are for hunting and general range time, I think it would be best to identify a single powder for the calibers in question. Do reloaders try to consolidate your powder choices?

I looked at the IMR-4895 and Hodgen says it will work for all of the above calibers and projectiles I am initially researching.

The loads in question would be for hunting and general range outings, nothing competition wise.

Thanks in advance.

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Cool, thanks. The underlying reason for the question is when I look for powder, I can target specific ones that will be able to load what I'm currently interested in. Mainly the ones that have a broad application range.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Try 2 or 3 powders that will work for as many rounds as possible. You will find that with the bullets you chose for each that no one powder will give you the most accurate load for all of them.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Another vote for h4895 for the rounds in question.
    IMR4350 does well for all of them as well. It does fill a .308 win case to a compressed load depending on projectile choice. Using 180 grain projectiles for any of the mentioned .30 rounds, it does very well.

If you run into any questions, post them up. There’s a lot of good knowledge floating around this forum.

Main thing to do before getting started is to read the intro to reloading in most manuals, stock up on manuals, read those too (half priced books, goodwill and garage sales), and ask questions.

IMR has an online database for loading data and most of the old reloaders here have a small library of manuals and software if you need some input or reference.

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Will do and thanks for the input on the powder.

I did pick up the ABCs of Reloading based on a comment made in another thread for new reloaders. Been going through it off and on.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    All the above powders mentioned will work, a lot of it is going to be trial and error to find the right combination your rifles like. Invest in a few manuals so you’ll have different choices.

Top Bottom