• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Just for fun, we rented one for the last week and a half in Costa Rica. It specifically was a GX3 Pro 5 speed MT We needed to rent a car and I picked that one since you don't find them in the states. After driving it a couple of hours, I named it "The Gutless Wonder." 1.5 L naturally aspirated, Claimed 105 HP - doubt it. The good: It actually handled pretty well in the mountain twisties, it had enough features to make it comfortable, the suspension handled the horrible roads pretty well. The bad: Holy Mother of God - the shifter was so sloppy, if it didn't have springs in the shifter that centered in on 3rd & 4th, you couldn't even guess what gear you might select, headlights were equivalent to an old Ray-O-Vac flashlight running on C cells, the A pillar blocked your vision anything past 10:00 o'clock on the drivers side, the engine had a power band (lol) to 1200 rpm, nothing above that until ~3000 rpm, and very little above that.

With just a little refinement, I could see something like that being a great starter car though. I don't understand why nobody makes a cheap utilitarian car like that anymore that is available here. They're between $12.5 and 15.2k brand new.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    With just a little refinement, I could see something like that being a great starter car though. I don't understand why nobody makes a cheap utilitarian car like that anymore that is available here. They're between $12.5 and 15.2k brand new.

Yeah I really think a no-frills, reliable car would sell well. IMHO that’s why used Toyota pickups hold value so we’ll.

The biggest problem see is:
    Frills = Profits

Top Bottom