• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • claimbuster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Rowlett, TX
    From the information I have, the Garland Shooting Range is back in court on April 22. Supposedly a final decision will be made if the range will be forced to close.

I moved here from CO last year and one good thing we had, ignoring the latest atrocities, was that shooting ranges were "grand fathered" in. That is, if the shooting range was there before the subdivisions showed up, they couldn't take action to close the range.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Garland range, it has really become my home away from home.
    Gun Zone Deals

qwiksdraw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sachse, TX
    The Garland Range has become my week-end hang out. The staff there is friendly and helpful and strict about the rules. Living 3 miles from there is a blessing and a curse (:rolleyes:), I makes it easy. Let me add that I have met lots of friendly shooters there and have enjoyed talking guns with them during cease fires. I would miss that as much as the shooting.

It would be a crime if they were forced to close. The work they have done to upgrade and improve the range has been tremendous. That berm on the rifle range darn near looks like a mountain back there!

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I have shot at the Garland Range for more than 15 years. Several of us "regulars" went to a Garland City Council meeting several years ago when Garland wanted to close the range down. I think the fact that several "gun nuts" were in attendance caused the council to table the motion and send it to a committee for consideration. It died in committee.
    The Range Officers at the Garland Range tell me the presiding judge told the lawyer for Rowlett that he was not going to close the range. The judge said Jim had been there a long time and had taken reasonable actions to keep the range safe. Jim has also agreed to upgrades recommended by an NRA official which pleased the judge. The range will remain open, but the ban on anything .30 cailber or larger may remain in affect.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I shot at the Garland Rnage yesterday. Mike told me there was another session with the judge last week and he has postponed his final ruling for another 3 months. Seems there is a study underway concerning the installation of baffels on the rifle range and the City of Garland wants the Corp of Engineers to do a water run off impact study. I appears this farce will never end.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Yup, and they are going to redo the city road, raise it above the flood plain or something. Garland city gov is POS,as is most of Dallas county. They may stall to see if GPSR is really going to build a new range east of the present one.
    City of Garland wants the Corp of Engineers to do a water run off impact study
    Been talk about this for better than a year - nothing done so it's still a stall.

Last edited:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Funny you mentioned building a new range east of where it is now. Years ago the range was east of where it is now. Jim had some really nice shotgun fields along with the rifle and pistol ranges. Garland made him shut it down and move to where the range is today. This is a prime case of the "run around". I think Rowlett and Garland hope Jim runs out of money before a final court decision is rendered.

If you like to shoot at Garland, call Garland and Rowlett and voice your displeasure in what is happening. Only the fear of not getting re-elected will sway these bastards.

Miloe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    DFW
    I kind of think the cities may not feel they have enough cause to force the range out of business and the delays are an attempt to cost Jim some money and hope he gives up and shuts down.
    The < 30 caliber is a pita but isn't hurting the range that much, business wise. Jim may not feel it's worth it to spend bigger money on lawyers to push the issue while the range is still mostly in operation.
    Just my random thoughts.

Top Bottom