• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    For many of you, this will be a 'duh' post. I get that.

So I finally got to shoot an IPSC match yesterday. I'm by no means a "contender" and shoot mostly to improve my skills as I figure out what I want to do to become competitive. I'm shooting production with a Glock 21 right now because it's the handgun I'm the most familiar with. Yes, I know it's a "major" round and Production is all scored "minor" in IPSC.

Last week while just at the range generally, the spring on my extended slide stop broke, causing the slide stop to "bounce" up and lock the slide back mid-string of fire. Rather than order a new one, I put the original back in and didn't shoot it before my match this week.

Apparently the original was "loose" (or I put the one from my Glock 22 in the 21 frame) and during the match the slide locked back on me mid-string several times.

I happened to have just picked up a Glock 17 I intend to put rounds through and use for competition, and I had some Magpul G17 mags. The problem? I'd never fired a single round out of it. It was literally new in box. Still, it was the "last, best" option I had, so I switched to it mid-match.

Turns out the Magpul mags DO NOT like steel-cased Wolf ammo (the only thing I had with me in 9mm) - they "stick" in the magazine, causing failure to feed. I learned this... you guessed it... mid-string. I ended up dropping an entire stage due to equipment problems.

I switched back to the factory Glock mags that came with it and they ran flawlessly, so I finished the match (the final stages were lower round count).

Lessons learned:

1) Don't compete with a gun you've made any changes to unless you've thoroughly tested the firearm first.
    2) Don't re-use old/replaced parts.
    3) Don't compete with a gun/mag/ammo combination you haven't thoroughly tested first.

Past that?

I've recently signed up for IDPA, too, and I'm thinking of switching up my plans for what I'd compete with.

I'm probably going to go single-stack for USPSA and run my Para Expert with Dawson Precision fiber-optic rear sights on it. I'm comfortable shooting it and the only real choice is between it and my Citadel 9mm 1911, with the advantage to the .45 being major scoring. I've got a chance to get started down this path with an upcoming special classifier match (and another one a month later) to start off with a classification to go forward from.

For IDPA, I'll run the Glock 17, probably as ESP since I'm going to change out the connector and trigger spring because I prefer the different trigger break/reset it creates (which invalidates it for SSP). I'll shoot events and when the classifier comes around, I'll shoot it, but I won't worry about "chasing" a qualification.

In any case, I'm not competing to be a "competitor," I'm doing it for practice and skill-building. I'd love to hear peoples' thoughts, especially if you're also a competitor (casual or hardcore).

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    All you can do is try, learn, and improve. Congrats on competing anyways.

It's been a long while since I've fired under any pressure. Competition is definitely different than having someone shooting back, but it will be nice when I can start getting into a rhythm so I know what to work on more at home.

Domineaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    You can shoot the Glock 17 in SSP as long as no outwardly visible changes are made to the trigger (and other rules are followed as well).

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    You can shoot the Glock 17 in SSP as long as no outwardly visible changes are made to the trigger (and other rules are followed as well).

That's good to know - I'll do that. I thought any trigger modification, internal or external, meant ESP only. I appreciate the education!

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I had a similar experience running a new carbine through a competition once. Kept misfeeding. Ended up bailing on the carbine portion. Was shooting just for practice like you.

Turns out the buffer tube was out of spec and the bolt couldn't quite go back as far as it should have.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Pressure is pressure. Learning to ignore it is the trick. Should help do that. Even people that don't compete well can learn how. Not everyone will become a speed shooter and even those that do may have difficulty while someone is shooting back. Have fun.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    It amazes me the number of people who carry a gun for self defense that they have never shot, or that has equipment they have never proofed, or repairs that have not been verified.

There's a saying in the bicycle world that certainly applies to firearms. TWO times to be most careful...A) After it has broken and 2) After it has been fixed ;)

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It amazes me the number of people who carry a gun for self defense that they have never shot, or that has equipment they have never proofed, or repairs that have not been verified.

There's a saying in the bicycle world that certainly applies to firearms. TWO times to be most careful...A) After it has broken and 2) After it has been fixed ;)

Which is also why I don't compete with my "carry" guns. :)

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Right. Same here. Thats why trying your actual carry will be surprising.

You make a good point. I shoot my carry weapon... but I should compete with it once in a while just to see how different it is. More than likely I'll do that on the IDPA side of things.

Top Bottom