• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Found a thread about this place going out of business, today's incident may make that closer to reality.

About 2:30ish DFW Scanner (which I recommend you follow in FB if you live in the area) reported an accidental shooting of some kind at the range.

Anyone heard any details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

BigDBasser

#OMHIWDMB
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Mesquite
    [h=6]KXAS-TV (NBC5) [/h]Published: 09 September 2015 04:16 PM
    Updated: 09 September 2015 04:22 PM

One person has been hospitalized after being wounded by shrapnel at a Frisco firing range.
    According to the Frisco Police Department, an emergency call was received from the Frisco Gun Club on Eldorado Parkway at about 2:15 p.m. after a customer was injured while reloading.
    Officials said the bullet exploded after it was inadvertently dropped to the ground while being loaded into a magazine.
    The exploding round sent shrapnel flying into the customer's side, causing a minor injury. The customer was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment with injuries that are not life threatening.
    On Tuesday, an Irving SWAT officer with more than 20 years on the force was injured at a gun range when fragments from a discharged round ricocheted and hit the officer in the hand. The officer was hospitalized and expected to be released Tuesday evening.
    The investigation into Wednesday's incident is ongoing.
    NBC 5's Meredith Yeomans cont

found this on MSN

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I call CRAP!! Dropped and exploded? I've NEVER seen that. Aside from the fact a bullet cannot do anything, I've dropped primers, cartridges, etc. tons of times. No way. I also use to take .22lr rounds as a kid on put them on a stump and hit them with a hammer. BANG, but no booboo.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I've read the news reports about the cops guns that just go off in their holsters. I bet these exploding bullets are what those types of guns use.

What I can't figure out though is, is it just the stupid media who doesn't understand how this stuff works, or are they just reporting what is written or relayed by the police and it's the responding officers that fall for this stuff?

I'm also not sure how this will put Frisco Gun Club out of business if you have to follow DFW scanner on facebook to hear about it. I didn't hear about it in any news stories.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I can see it happening. The round falls perfectly on the base with the primer hitting a small pebble or something. The bullet wouldn't have much if any power, but the brass would go flying. A small piece could hit somebody.

It may have been just a scratch but in these lawsuit filled times a trip to the hospital is almost mandatory.

It really isn't that unbelievable.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I can see it happening. The round falls perfectly on the base with the primer hitting a small pebble or something. The bullet wouldn't have much if any power, but the brass would go flying. A small piece could hit somebody.

It may have been just a scratch but in these lawsuit filled times a trip to the hospital is almost mandatory.

Can not agree with that. It takes more than a pebble to set off a primer. Hell, even some firing pins can't do it!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

I concur. Out of chamber ignition isnt unheard of. Brass cases invariably rupture.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Y'all are correct! ..................................there is always a chance .................................... 14 gazillion to one! I've rolled over primers with an office chair and they didn't go off!

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    I'm also not sure how this will put Frisco Gun Club out of business if you have to follow DFW scanner on facebook to hear about it. I didn't hear about it in any news stories.

I was merely referencing the other thread where others have mentioned they may be struggling.

Instances like this, accidents ect. Can be very costly for a business. Insurance prices go up, a law suit could be filed, more people could avoid the range. Ect.

I've never visited the range, me finding out about this on Facebook will not cause them to go out of business.

I was more curious in finding out if anyone had any details about the incident and recently read the thread questioning if this facility would remain in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Y'all are correct! ..................................there is always a chance .................................... 14 gazillion to one! I've rolled over primers with an office chair and they didn't go off!
    Unseated primers are very stable. The crush in seating them makes them more volatile.

I saw the aftermath of a fired case hitting loaded rounds still in the styrofoam packaging. One hit a primer just right and fired a round off.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The weight balance of a round almost insures that if dropped, it will hit on the bullet end and not the primer. I guess it is possible if some how it was interrupted during the fall (hit something just right a few inches from impact) it 'might' spin and hit primer down. But then it would have to also hit something other than the flat floor. Like a BB or such on the ground. Then it would have to have enough force to ignite the primer. Pretty slim odds I'd say.

There was a video floating around awhile back of a semi trailer loaded with ammo (many thousands of rounds of all types) that was set on fire to ignite it all and they measured damage from projectiles at various distances. The conclusion was you'd be pretty safe just standing pretty close as long as you had eye protection.

But okay.... I guess it can happen. Oh wait, I think I see a unicorn. Did that just fly out of my ass?

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I've read the news reports about the cops guns that just go off in their holsters. I bet these exploding bullets are what those types of guns use.

What I can't figure out though is, is it just the stupid media who doesn't understand how this stuff works, or are they just reporting what is written or relayed by the police and it's the responding officers that fall for this stuff?

I've met many of the journalist type in college and yes they are that stupid. Very few would ever dare ask a question to learn about anything in particular and when getting a story they believe everything the police tell them hence the reason the stories are often fubar.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The weight balance of a round almost insures that if dropped, it will hit on the bullet end and not the primer. I guess it is possible if some how it was interrupted during the fall (hit something just right a few inches from impact) it 'might' spin and hit primer down. But then it would have to also hit something other than the flat floor. Like a BB or such on the ground. Then it would have to have enough force to ignite the primer. Pretty slim odds I'd say.

There was a video floating around awhile back of a semi trailer loaded with ammo (many thousands of rounds of all types) that was set on fire to ignite it all and they measured damage from projectiles at various distances. The conclusion was you'd be pretty safe just standing pretty close as long as you had eye protection.

But okay.... I guess it can happen. Oh wait, I think I see a unicorn. Did that just fly out of my ass?

Weight and balance are irrelevant when it comes to falling objects given the same aerodynamics. I doubt there would be enough aerodynamic difference from one end of a cartridge to the other to cause it to change its orientation or rotation in the ~5' it may have fallen.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Weight and balance are irrelevant when it comes to falling objects given the same aerodynamics. I doubt there would be enough aerodynamic difference from one end of a cartridge to the other to cause it to change its orientation or rotation in the ~5' it may have fallen.
    Yup. Being way out of balance on that short of a fall has no effect.

I would also guess that the fall was not much over three feet. Most people load mags near waist height where they have more leverage and control.

Top Bottom