• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ASCO12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Belton
    Anyone have any suggestions on which ones are the best for the money and that actually taste good?

Anyone used food insurance?

Wise Foods?
    Guns International

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I am a big fan of mountain house but haven't tried many other brands. Last night I ate the beef stew just to know how it tasted. It is actually very good and the portion size is appropriate for 2 people. Of course, I shoveled the whole thing down and it sat well with me. I have also eaten the beef stroganoff and it is very tasty but loaded with sodium. The freeze dried fruit are great snacks, especially when added to cereal. Overall, tasty stuff at reasonable prices.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    What are you using them for? I've found that the Mountain House pouches are a fair value for short term storage and camping. The offerings taste good and they are easy to pack and prepare.

For longer term storage, a mixture of bulk grain and legumes and a foundation of freeze dried #10 cans from Auguson are a better option. Buy the Auguson goods from Sam's Club online. The prices there are surprisingly competitive.

If you're looking for #10 Mountain House offerings, wait for the annual or semi-annual sales from places like The Epicenter. You just missed a sale there that was 10% off on single cans and 25% off full cases.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I looked at mountain house online the other day and it looked like a single serving can for $43 I was like no way in hell but I went up to ctd the other day and they had a crap load of mountain house food and that's a BIG can, a can like that could last me 3-4 days with the way I eat.

ASCO12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Belton
    I did see the daily bread stuff and it looks like a good option, but you have to call for information. 25 year shelf life is pretty eye catching.

Im just looking to get a little "bug out bag" put together and figured I have the guns & ammo covered so I just need some food and water and i'm ready to hold down the fort.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    I did see the daily bread stuff and it looks like a good option, but you have to call for information. 25 year shelf life is pretty eye catching.

Im just looking to get a little "bug out bag" put together and figured I have the guns & ammo covered so I just need some food and water and i'm ready to hold down the fort.

The DB customer service people are very helpful and nice. The only thing is their stuff comes in #10 cans which makes it not so good for bugging out IMO. It will be fine for bugging in. I think I will put a few cans (and water) in a big rubbermaid tote to make it grab n go.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Since it's for the bug out bag, I'd recommend MRE's. You might not have the water to spare to rehydrate the dried foods.

ASCO12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Belton
    I shouldn't have used "bug out bag" as what my uses are intended for. I don't really intend on bugging out, just holding down the fort and picking off zombies and looters

Top Bottom