Join TexasGunTalk

Ford vs. Chevy type question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ttuttle, Jan 29, 2020.

1. TheMailMan

TheMailMan TGT Addict

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I've got four vibratory tumblers. I prefer them. Brass is good to go as soon as you take it out. I don't need, nor want, squeaky clean brass. I like that little bit of carbon in the case to help keep the brass from sticking to the powder funnel.

2. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Member

May 10, 2010
    Texas
    I use a vibratory tumbler with corn cob. It does not clean as well as ss pins but it's ready to load when it comes out of the tumbler. I'll have the 300 .45s loaded while you are drying your brass. I don't need new looking ammo but I do want clean brass.

3. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Vibratory with corn cob media for me.

Wet with stainless pins does a better job but I just haven't made the jump yet.

4. Mike_from_Texas

Mike_from_Texas Active Member

Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Stainless pins in a wet tumbler does a much better job of cleaning especially inside and in the primer pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. smittyb

smittyb Well-Known

Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Ford

And this for really nasty brass

6. EZ-E

EZ-E Freedom vs Tyranny 2020 TGT Supporter

May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
  7. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yuck

I agree with this. When it comes to that pile of nasty brass you found at the range that is covered in mud and maybe had some dirty packed in it, wet tumbling with steel pins is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. gll

gll Active Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I haven't made the jump to wet tumbling, though I can see advantages...

I only have an old Lyman vibratory and have never liked how the typical media, either corncob or walnut, gets stuck in the flash holes. I've recently started using ZIlla Ground English Walnut Shells Desert Blend Reptile Bedding, which is finer ground and harder than corncob, doesn't stick in the flash holes and is reasonably priced on Amazon at $6.39 for a 5 quart bag. I like to add a little Nu Finish car polish, helps keep the dust down and yields a decent polish. I dump the Lyman contents through a fryer basket and toss the cases until no more media falls out.

9. Deavis

Deavis Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    If you use the right burnishing compound, you can wet tumble at part on part volumes and get the cases very clean. Flasholes will still have some residue but otherwise they look great. The pins aren't worth the hassle unless you just have to have that very last bit of clesn. No dust, no pins, darn good clean... best of both worlds.

10. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I use the SS pin tumbler. I bought mine before they came out with the smaller version.

I load it up and let it go. Do the separation thing, dry then rifle brass gets lubed, pistol brass goes to the dry tumbler to take the squeak off then into an ammo box or straight to the press.