Join TexasGunTalk

Ford vs. Chevy type question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ttuttle, Jan 29, 2020.

1. ttuttle

ttuttle An old guy who like to shoot

Apr 17, 2015
    I need to get a new brass cleaner. I have a vibratory cleaner that needs replacing. The question is which is better....a vibratory cleaner or a roller rock polisher type? I'm open for suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Personal preference imo. Stainless media in a wet/rock will get the cleanest but I prefer the dry with corn cob or walnut media.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

just country likes this.
  3. ttuttle

Apr 17, 2015
    I tried stainless steel but all it did was turn the cases dirty gray, but what kind of machine did you use?

4. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Did you use any cleaning agent? That's far from the results I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. sanspeu1r

sanspeu1r New Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Filer, Idaho
    Citric acid/water drops of Dawn in a vibrator.. My fav

EZ-E likes this.
  6. ttuttle

Apr 17, 2015
    No cleaning/polishing agent was used. Do you have a suggestion. The gray crap won't rub off!

7. EZ-E

EZ-E Freedom vs Tyranny 2020 TGT Supporter

May 4, 2017
    Cypress
    PIN TUMBLER is the only way to go.
    Pin tumbler with half a .45 case of Lemi Shine & few drops of Dawn work well.
    Depending on the size of your tumbler you may need to adjust the recipe of lemi shine & dawn ratio.

I started with the harbor freight double rock tumbler. Then my neighbor built a bad ass tumbler for about $250... a motor, belts, rollers & a 6" piece of PVC about 24" long ... ive been borrowing his tumbler ever since.

CyberWolf likes this.
  8. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    I don't need my cases overly pretty, so I just throw 'em in a vibratory with walnut or corn cob and run it overnight. They come out pretty darned clean, and I finish up by putting 'em in a mesh bag that I blast a few times with a blow gun until no more dust comes out.

9. Lonesome Dove

Lonesome Dove Active Member TGT Supporter

Sep 25, 2018
    Texas
    I use an old Lyman tumbler with cob media. It works great though Not a fan of pretty brass. I only clean enough for inspection of cracks or other.

10. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I used a vibratory tumbler for a long time.

Pro: Cases come out dry and basically ready to go. They are plenty clean for use.

Cons: Dust. I hated the dust created and didn’t like changing the media for whatever reason. It was also very loud.

I now use stainless media in a rotary tumbler.

Pros: Cases come out clean. No dust. Much quieter than a vibratory tumbler. Inside of cases seem cleaner (if that matters to you)

Cons: Cases must be separated from the media afterwards and rinsed. I do this in the bath tub. Using hot water and a 5 gallon bucket to rinse brass and separate the pins. A magnet makes collecting the pins much easier. Then the cases have to dry. There are a few ways to speed up the process and I tend to either set them in a cake pan in front of a small heater or put them on a window screen above the fan on the central AC unit in the summer.

Overall I much prefer stainless media. I’m really lazy so I just throw in a dishwasher pack with them, but I’ve also used liquid dish detergent with lemishine and a few other concoctions. Overall the packet is easiest since I just toss it in.

I think which is “better” depends on which factors are more important to you. I also like to deprime my brass before tumbling and the pins seem to do a much better job cleaning primer pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CyberWolf likes this.