• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    To the best of my knowledge, any coloring you can do in your forge or kiln will wear from sheth use. Especially a kydex sheath.

Yeah, I'm planning to stick with leather for sheaths. I just don't like kydex. I figure if someone's dropping the coin on a hand-forged knife and they want a kydex sheath, they can make that happen on their own from someone who knows the material better than me.

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    I'm trying to restrict my options to stuff I can actually do in my forge...without any chemical tanks. Which counts Parkerizing out. And from what I understand of the method, case hardening isn't ideal for blades - it creates a hardened outer layer but leaves the interior soft, while my goal with the blades is to harden the entire blade while making it flexible. A case hardened blade would be too brittle, if I'm understanding the process.

Oil bluing might be the solution - and it happens automatically when I quench a blade anyway - but I'm not sure how durable the resulting black finish is on a smooth blade. And I don't want a finish that'll wear off with reasonable sheath wear.
    Might also look into the rust bluing process. Pretty low on required equipment and chemicals.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    OK, guys. I won't lie, the thought of quenching this tiny, thin blade has given me serious anxiety over the past few weeks. With steel this thin, there is a high likelihood of the quench oil causing the beveled edge to ripple like a piece of bacon, which would trash all of the effort I've put into forging and shaping it. There's also a high likelihood of a thin piece like this curving in the quench (even a good, beefy blade can curve when it hits the oil). But, I did it.

Heating the blade up to critical temperature (1500°F) took...less than a minute. Which is ridiculous, and made me worry even more. It usually takes several minutes to reach that temperature, but the pale red glow didn't lie. I pulled it out of the forge and checked, and the blade bounced right off a neodymium magnet, which told me we were there. I immediately quenched in oil.

Moment of truth...I gritted my teeth, pulled the blade out and was greeted by...perfection. It was straight and even. I ran a file across the edge and it skated right off - the steel was hardened. I went ahead and clamped it just in case there was a chance of uneven cooling warping the blade, but my heart was pounding with relief. Right now, I'm baking a cake tempering the blade at 400° in the oven. That'll go for the next four hours or so. Meanwhile, I give you... @glenbo 's blade after quenching and a quick wipedown.

Tiny dude.jpg

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    OK, guys. I won't lie, the thought of quenching this tiny, thin blade has given me serious anxiety over the past few weeks. With steel this thin, there is a high likelihood of the quench oil causing the beveled edge to ripple like a piece of bacon, which would trash all of the effort I've put into forging and shaping it. There's also a high likelihood of a thin piece like this curving in the quench (even a good, beefy blade can curve when it hits the oil). But, I did it.

Heating the blade up to critical temperature (1500°F) took...less than a minute. Which is ridiculous, and made me worry even more. It usually takes several minutes to reach that temperature, but the pale red glow didn't lie. I pulled it out of the forge and checked, and the blade bounced right off a neodymium magnet, which told me we were there. I immediately quenched in oil.

Moment of truth...I gritted my teeth, pulled the blade out and was greeted by...perfection. It was straight and even. I ran a file across the edge and it skated right off - the steel was hardened. I went ahead and clamped it just in case there was a chance of uneven cooling warping the blade, but my heart was pounding with relief. Right now, I'm baking a cake tempering the blade at 400° in the oven. That'll go for the next four hours or so. Meanwhile, I give you... @glenbo 's blade after quenching and a quick wipedown.

View attachment 479359
    So this project is like the opposite of the "Bone Chopper" you made for Hoji?

Top Bottom