• Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Done. Gave it a like & subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have had the opportunity to meet @General Zod in person twice. Totally cool dude. One of these days, when I finally get my forge up and running, I hope he and I can get together and do some forging and learn from each other.

Forging knives is different than just forging mild steel into usable items, but there are a lot of similarities between the two before you get to the hardening and heat-treating parts. My main focus on making knives is using the "stock removal" method, and so my main reasons for a forge are hardening and heat-treatin blades. But, I would still like to learn how to forge a blade, just for the learning of how to do it.

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I have had the opportunity to meet @General Zod in person twice. Totally cool dude. One of these days, when I finally get my forge up and running, I hope he and I can get together and do some forging and learn from each other.

Forging knives is different than just forging mild steel into usable items, but there are a lot of similarities between the two before you get to the hardening and heat-treating parts. My main focus on making knives is using the "stock removal" method, and so my main reasons for a forge are hardening and heat-treatin blades. But, I would still like to learn how to forge a blade, just for the learning of how to do it.

I appreciate the compliment, and yeah we definitely need to get together some time and forge some steel. My anvil is even portable!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I appreciate the compliment, and yeah we definitely need to get together some time and forge some steel. My anvil is even portable!
    It would be sort of cool in a family historical perspective for me. My great grandfather had his first blacksmith's shop on the other side of my property when he bought this farm.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    It would be sort of cool in a family historical perspective for me. My great grandfather had his first blacksmith's shop on the other side of my property when he bought this farm.

I found out recently (thanks to my wife's research) that my great-great-great grandfather was a blacksmith. He's also the direct ancestor in my dad's paternal line that left Ireland. In 1840 he had a blacksmith shop in Savannah, GA.

I actually learned this over a year after I started blacksmithing.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Do you know the exact spot where the shop was? You might find interesting stuff there if you dig down a little bit - misplaced tools, half-finished pieces maybe.

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    So, I've taken the plunge. I was going to wait till the weather was a little cooler, but...nah. So I've made two knives today that I'll be heat treating and tempering tomorrow, and then...I'm gonna test them to destruction. Since these first two pieces are only to learn to heat treat, I only forged one of them. The other I made through stock removal. I had planned to do both that way, but...well, my anvil was giving me that puppy-dog eyes look, and I just couldn't not forge something today.

So the plan is to touch up the finish and drill pin holes in the handles (in case one or both knives survive their testing, so I can finish 'em!) tomorrow, then heat treat the knives one at a time. I'll have to figure out how to regulate the temperature in my forge to within 50-100 degrees, so that's going to be an interesting process. I'm going to heat the knives up to about 1500 degrees for fifteen minutes, then quench them in oil. Once they've cooled down from that, they'll each go into the oven at 400 degrees for two hours, twice - with a cool-down in between. Afterward they'll each get a simple leather wrap on the handles for comfort while I'm doing horrible things to them like hacking at cinder blocks, chopping 2x4s, and testing if they'll bend and return to true.

If the testing is successful, then knife forging will be something of a recurring habit with me. There's a bit of gunk from the grinder sticking to the blades here - I'll be refining the finish a bit in the morning. The forged blade is on the right, the chonky stock-removal blade is on the left.

View attachment 343846
    Go by color in low light. Should be a cherry red when ready to quench but not going white.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Go by color in low light. Should be a cherry red when ready to quench but not going white.

I have too many different lighting conditions in my forge (and not enough experience judging the color of hot steel) - but I also have a magnet on my anvil, and when the steel is at critical temperature it becomes non-magnetic. And I have a digital thermometer I can shoot it with to be sure.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    That's fine if you have lots of experience in heat-treating metal, and know by the color that it's at the critical temperature for quenching. Testing with a magnet is much more a reliable and tested method that isn't dependent on the lighting conditions in the shop.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    That's fine if you have lots of experience in heat-treating metal, and know by the color that it's at the critical temperature for quenching. Testing with a magnet is much more a reliable and tested method that isn't dependent on the lighting conditions in the shop.

Eventually I'll get there. But even then, I'll probably still test it with a magnet just in case.

Top Bottom