• ...and so much more!
  • Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    If you had orders for two, or more, the logistics would be longer piece of steel, cut two opposing with your plasma cutter and have a small chunk to toss on the swarf pile.

But where is the fun in that

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yes, I understand that the forge welding can be tedious as the carbon will accelerate oxidizing if heated much past initial yellow, even with good fluxing. I would think that your current method has the most integrity anyway.

There's also the oxygen content inside the forge, which I'm still learning to control. Too much O2 and you'll get oxidation in the way of the weld, even with using flux. With more experience a weld would be a good option - maybe even welding a mild steel handle and spine around a carbon steel blade to make a san mai cleaver. But...that's further down the road for me.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Started on attaching the handle on the reasonably sized cleaver today. I'll be grinding the metal bolsters down to match the handle shape, putting in the walnut scales, and hopefully finishing and sharpening tomorrow. We'll see how far I get.

I'll also be doing more forging on the humongous cleaver, getting the handle all the way in place and refining its shape.

20221217_105825.jpg20221217_105900.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The other cleaver got its handle scales today. Here it is all clamped up with the epoxy curing. I never realized juuuust how much blue painters tape a bladesmith goes through. As you can see in the second pic I've even got some cushioning the jaws of my granddad's little bench vise.

20221218_160722.jpg20221218_160729.jpg20221218_160735.jpg

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Last night I was watching some movie to put me to sleep. In it a cook came out using his cleaver as a weapon. His cleaver was more of what I would call a meat axe because of it 2 handed design. I could just picture it being used for removing the ribs from the spine. Then I think back about removing the ribs from the spine using a boning knife, separating the sternum and breaking the pelvis or popping the hips out the joint.

Top Bottom