• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gearhead_Gunsmith

The Gearhead Gunsmith
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2024
    Richmond, Tx
    I was watching some YouTube videos of guys hunting at very close range from a quad with 12-gauge slugs, and more than one hog took a direct hit and never slowed down. They were big-uns though.
    I had one take a .30-06 soft point square to the chest mid-charge, and it kept coming. Second one was a headshot. Came to a stop less than 10 feet from where I was standing. They're built different

GMann1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2024
    San Angelo Texas
    Very nice ! Years ago I guided a young man on an Operation Orphans hunt south of Roosevelt. He shot 2 deer in the morning hunt with 2 shots.The owner of the ranch noticed the deer when we came in for lunch and asked him if he would like to kill a hog that afternoon, to which he smiled and said Yes ! After lunch his foreman took us to a blind and said they move thru here so watch out. We had been in the blind for about an hour when this monster showed up in a clearing. He asked if he could shoot it. I replied yes but only in the head just below the ear .He took aim and shot, the hog dropped in place. After the whooping and hollering and Congratulations we stepped off the distance .After 175 steps we reached the hog and realized how big it was.Upon inspection he had indeed placed his shot one inch below the ear.All of the bullets energy was displaced in the head with no exit hole.It was all he and I could do to roll it over and field dress it, but we got it done. When they picked us up that evening it too 5 grown men and a teenager to load it in an F250 .The owner said it was the biggest one he had ever seen on his ranch or anywhere else. They had a scale mounted to the overhead hoist in the processing house . When they picked it up it pulled the rail loose from its mounts. The guys said it had handled 700 lb calves before with no problem so it had to weigh over 700lbs field dressed .The owner of the ranch had the head mounted and sent to the home. The rifle used was my Mini 14 with Remington 55 grain ammunition The ranch and the kids as well as the owner's names are withheld to protect their privacy!

Top Bottom