• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayvance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2023
    San Antonio TX
    Yesterday at Independence Ranch about 80 miles east of San Antonio where I live. Did their 3-hour hunt and saw 12-15 during that time, but with all the rain, the foliage and underbrush made it very difficult to get any good shots. Right at the end of the hunt I noticed some tall weeds (highlighted in red in the last photo) were moving around, and eventually I was able to tell it was a pig. No telling how long the stinker was hiding in there, probably taking a nap. After she tromped around in the weeds for a few minutes, I could see she was moving out of cover, and I was able to get a good sight on where she would appear. Sure enough, out she sauntered and I was able to put her down with one shot at about 40 yards with a .223 Hornady Black 75-grain boattail hollow-point. She was 101 lbs on the hoof. I'm sure there are lots of thoughts on using .223 for hogs, but in this case the exit hole was at least an inch and she dropped like a rock, kicked for about 30 seconds, and that was that. Thanks for letting me share!

pig1.jpg

pig2.jpg

pig3.jpg

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yesterday at Independence Ranch about 80 miles east of San Antonio where I live. Did their 3-hour hunt and saw 12-15 during that time, but with all the rain, the foliage and underbrush made it very difficult to get any good shots. Right at the end of the hunt I noticed some tall weeds (highlighted in red in the last photo) were moving around, and eventually I was able to tell it was a pig. No telling how long the stinker was hiding in there, probably taking a nap. After she tromped around in the weeds for a few minutes, I could see she was moving out of cover, and I was able to get a good sight on where she would appear. Sure enough, out she sauntered and I was able to put her down with one shot at about 40 yards with a .223 Hornady Black 75-grain boattail hollow-point. She was 101 lbs on the hoof. I'm sure there are lots of thoughts on using .223 for hogs, but in this case the exit hole was at least an inch and she dropped like a rock, kicked for about 30 seconds, and that was that. Thanks for letting me share!

View attachment 456269
    View attachment 456270
    View attachment 456274

Welcome to the Forum!

Nice job!

Gearhead_Gunsmith

The Gearhead Gunsmith
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2024
    Richmond, Tx
    Awesome! I LOVE Independence - I used to fly out there twice a year to go with my buddy. Haven't been in awhile since we're moving to the Richmond area next month. If you ever want a hunting buddy to go with, let me know!

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Thanks for sharing. Been a minute since I got to zap a hog.

I used the Hornady 60 spire point bullet for hogs out of my Mini-14 back in the day & it always dropped them in their tracks.

Great shot on your hog, it ought to cook up nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

762x39TexasGunGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2024
    Dallas

View attachment 456269
    View attachment 456270
    View attachment 456274
    nice hog

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Gkid and his friend use 223 but it takes an accurate shot to put them down right there. Probably just the cheap stuff. I prefer something in 30 cal or larger.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Good hunting and good bullet placement. I’ve had them run off when hit by FMJ .308 when shot through the shoulder.

That was back when I was killing several each week and was just trying to get rid of them on my place. I haven’t seen any in almost a year - thank goodness.

jayvance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2023
    San Antonio TX
    Good hunting and good bullet placement. I’ve had them run off when hit by FMJ .308 when shot through the shoulder.

That was back when I was killing several each week and was just trying to get rid of them on my place. I haven’t seen any in almost a year - thank goodness.
    I was watching some YouTube videos of guys hunting at very close range from a quad with 12-gauge slugs, and more than one hog took a direct hit and never slowed down. They were big-uns though.

Top Bottom