APOD Firearms

Financially, how do you view your firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I know that a lot of things that we purchase lose value over time, especially cars and electronics. To me it seems that firearms hold their value, and sometimes, accrue value. As many of you have very extensive collections, how do you view your firearms financially?

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    My collection is not extensive but I know I could get my money back or make a little on most everything in it. There are a couple of exceptions.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    Thats true, tonight I bought a Glock and I know I could turn around and get almost all my money back (if not all) if the situation arose.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    One thing for sure. If all goes to hell, our guns and ammo will be as good as gold.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. In fact, they will be probably the most valuable thing. When that time comes, having gold may cost you your life, and a gun may save it.

Until then, they are tools and toys, and as such, I don't plan on making money on them. Ofcourse, I don't have any collectables either. There is nothing in my safe that you can't find NIB somewhere, or a better version of it. They all hold their value, but will not increase it.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Something that I hope my posterity will have and hold dear for the next 3 to 4 generations or more. My kids get a rifle at 12 years old. My grandkids will get a rifle when they are 12 years old. My guns will all outlive me and have stories.

I have guns in my collection that are now four generations old and in my family. And some have two generations on them. Each time they come out their previous owners are remembered.

My influence of gun ownership will be echoed though generations and if I've planned right the guns I own now will be the tangible reminder of that legacy.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I hope to God that my grandkids will inherit my guns and take good care of them.

I look at them as break evens, or I lose money on them.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Hmmm. It's true that some guns hold or accrue value. But, honestly, when you try to sell one (esp. if you really need the $$) you may be in for a shock at what you end up having to take - or how long it takes to get someone to pony up what you want.

Guns are tools. (C'mon, we all saw the movie, "Shane".) As such, they have great value to me. They also have great value for that day that the SHTF. But as investments? I don't know that I'd want to put my future on that bet.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I dont have any guns that are investments, most all of mine are either family heirlooms or tools. But I do like knowing that they do hold value.

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    In my own experience..

Everyday guns that you can get anywhere at almost any store may not see an even return on investment but I believe guns in general definitely hold value better then most anything else. I've found whatever you want to sell it for will always be compared to the lowest price on the great interweb because almost always it's pointed out "Well I could get it at guns-o-rama for $XXX.XX. I usually told them to order it then. From my experience blemishes and scratches on the weapon seem to detract more then a high rounds count.

Of course exceptions, like highly desireable,limited runs,no longer produced, long wait, etc,etc.

Used is used, that's what people think. How many times have you seen someone listing a NIB whatever and they are wanting retail price? Don't you think "for that much I'd just get my own non-manhandled new one." I know I do.

I've broken even, I've lost money, I've made money. Haven't we all? I don't sell or trade anymore but I still collect. I like having them.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I buy and sell a lot. You WILL lose money on them if its something that is still made... HK, Glocks, etc... You can't sell a used gun for the price of a new one and expect to actully sell it.

I have only made money on 1 gun I have sold - a Five Seven. Other than that, I lose a few dollars plus the tax cost each time. But, it doesn't bother me too much.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    That is a good argument for buying used. I have bought several I know I could have turned around and made a small profit on ($50-$100). I've never actually sold any of mine, though, so financially they are actually a liability to me. Some people are addicted to drugs; I'm addicted to guns. It's an expensive habit.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Registered machineguns are or were an excellent investment. They keep going up in price year after year. Now if the Hughes Amendment were to be nullified and people could begin registering machineguns again, they would lose value, except maybe some rare specimens like the Stg 44...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Guns, like most things go up in value over time. Electronics and a few other commodities are exceptions. Do they keep up with inflation, or pay dividends as bank accounts, stocks CD's etc do? Of course not. In most cases from purely an investment stand point you'd be way better off putting cash into something else if appreciation is your goal.

But it's nice to know that you have something that does keep it's value. The only thing that could screw that up is government making laws (changing the Constitution or re-interrupting the 2A) or otherwise outlawing or restricting gun ownership.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    When I buy a gun I plan on keeping it for life. I also plan on shooting it. They aren't a savings account or fall back plan for me, I have actual cash, stocks, bonds, retirement accounts etc. for that. I'd sell them if I had to but things would need to get really bad before I got to that point.

I did buy a registered machinegun but less so as an investment than just wanted to get it sooner before prices went up even more.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    They are a commodity and subject to fluctuations. Overall they retain value much better than a car, or land, or an RV. As part of an overall risk reduction strategy I would say they are better than cash, and usually easily convertible by barter to almost anything. I don't get to play with my cash, but my guns are always fun. It is the ammo that costs money. It beats jewelry, but I am on the fence about gold. Collector grade firearms will be a good investment as long as there are collectors.
    I am very suspicious about the long term value of polymer weapons. 1911's seem to be a good investment, as well as lugers, and Sig's. I would resell polymer weapons on a regular basis, and purchase new ones, if that is what you like.

These are my views, certainly yours will differ.

Top Bottom