• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cyberlink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington
    I hope there is an FFL or some one that can help me on this one. I have a few questions about transfer fees when buying a gun online. This started when I realized that one of the local shops has a great websit and the guns list for $30 - $75 cheaper on the website. When I called them they told me that it was to cover the transfer fees and if I wanted to buy them in the store I would have to pay more to cover the transfer fee. I am trying to understand what is involved from an FFL point of view. Maybe give me a little haggle point.

I know when buying a gun you have to fill out the I am not a crook form and then they do a background check, at least until I get my CHL.

Am I right that it is only the one form and the one call no matter how many guns I buy? Same purchase, so buying 1 pistol or a case of 10 pistols at the same time.

Is it common for FFL's charge by the gun for the transfer? 1 AK vs a case of 10 AK's from the same seller.

What is a reasonable transfer fee? $25, $30, $50, $75????

Thanks
    Gun Zone Deals

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    one form and 1 call. It shouldnt take more then 15-20 min start to finish. I would never pay more then $25 for a transfer but thats just me.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    25 seems to be the going rate some places charge out the ass but you can always find one for 25 or even 20
    and most places also
    do like 25 for the first gun 10 for everygun after or something like that anyways and if your buying like 5 guns most will work out a sweet deal for you on the transfer fees

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    Just to clarify, the FFL dealer does not get charged by the FBI to conduct the background check. He can even check multiple names with one phone call - one at a time, of course. The phone call background check usually takes less than two minutes per name. It doesn't matter how many guns are listed on the form, either, because the FFL just reports whether the transfer or sale involves longguns, handguns, receivers or some combination of those. He doesn't list all the firearms to the call taker or even how many there are when he's doing the backgound check.

For the FFL, the transfer doesn't just involve doing a background check when he delivers the firearm to the customer. He has to receive the package, unbox it and verify make-model-caliber-SN and log it into and out of his inventory (bound book). That's why most charge an additional fee for each additional firearm because there's more to it than just one phone call.

Speaking for myself, I charge $25. If I'm selling a gun from inventory, there's no additional fee. Honestly, $25 probably doesn't cover my shop time but this is a service that I provide to my customers as part of the relationship in the hopes that they will be a return customer.

Cyberlink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington
    For the FFL, the transfer doesn't just involve doing a background check when he delivers the firearm to the customer. He has to receive the package, unbox it and verify make-model-caliber-SN and log it into and out of his inventory (bound book). That's why most charge an additional fee for each additional firearm because there's more to it than just one phone call.

This is good to know! Now that leads me to the question of, if you are selling (From your inventory) to another FFL or C&R do you still have to do the same bound book work?

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    This is good to know! Now that leads me to the question of, if you are selling (From your inventory) to another FFL or C&R do you still have to do the same bound book work?

Yes, selling to another FFL or C&R requires a entry in the bound book that contains the other dealer's name, address, and license number. FFL to FFL does not require a 4473 or a background check.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom