• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    As part of my ongoing pondering about getting started in reloading, can anyone provide any feedback regarding the Hornady Lock and Load single stage press?
    Capitol Armory ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have a Hornady LnL AP. As far as the lock bushings go, they work great. I would like to see a pin or something to keep them from turning out like the Lee has. I have had one turn and pop out before. Hornady quality is excellent in general, and I would buy that press if I needed a new one. Very quick die changes.

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    I started with the Hornady LnL Classic kit. (Single stage)
    Kit has everything you need except calipers, bullet puller and of course, dies.

It is my first press and I have never used any other press, so it is hard to compare it with other presses.
    I have had it for about 2yrs now and have loaded 9mm, .38spl., .40S&W, .45ACP, .44mag and .223

The only problem I have had so far was one stuck .223 case. (My own fault, lack of lube) In the process of getting it unstuck, I broke the expander ball on my die. I called Hornady and they sent me a new one for free. (Even though I explained that it was my fault)

I really like the LnL system. Once I get the dies set, I can snap them in and out and change from loading 9mm to .40S&W in a few seconds. (It takes me longer to get my powder charge adjusted)

I can load about 100 rnds an hour (not including case cleaning/tumbling).
    I have the auto-prime added to my press and like that better than hand priming.
    Another plus for me was the free bullets with the press and dies. I hear they are still doing this, but I'm not sure.

One downside was finding the LnL bushings, they were especially hard to find a year ago (as everything re=loading related), probably easier now, but I don't need any, so I have not looked.

Overall I have no complaints and I am pretty happy with the press.
    If I decide to buy a progressive, I will get the LnL AP.
    I say if, because I am able to load all I need on this press.

My setup:
    reloadingbench.jpg

ETA: I have some LEE dies (Universal decapping die) and replaced the Lee lock rings with the Hornady ones.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    If you find a used single-stage, or something like a Lee Classic Cast, Hornady makes conversion bushings to make it a LnL. But this only works to convert the large thread presses.

Eli

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I bought the Lock N Load Classic kit last summer. With 500 free bullets for the kit and 100 for the die set, it was a great deal. I don't know if they extended the free bullet offer into 2010.

As far as the press goes, I have had no problems whatsoever. Instructions were clear and everything worked out of the box. As noted above, I too can load about 100 rounds / hour without rushing. So far only loaded about 2000 rounds of 9mm.

Two recommendations: get the micrometer adjustment for both bullet seating die and, if loading pistol calibers, get the pistol insert and micrometer (separate purchases) for the powder measure. These will make setup and caliber / load changes much quicker and improve reproducibility of the loaded ammo greatly.

I have absolutely no complaints except that I think I should have just went with the L'N'L AP (progressive) press from the get go.

Top Bottom