• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I found this to be interesting. In the U.S., the FBI is allowed to tap a person’s phone if the individual is suspected of being part of an organized criminal entity or a terrorism ring.

This, however, can only be done after certain protocols, listed under Title 18 of the U.S. Code, Section 2516 – that involve getting approval from a federal judge.
    The FBI can listen to everything you say, even when the cell phone is turned off.
    A recent court ruling in a case against the Genovese crime family revealed that the FBI has the ability from a remote location to activate a cell phone and turn its microphone into a listening device that transmits to an FBI listening post, a method known as a "roving bug." Experts say the only way to defeat it is to remove the cell phone battery.

The FBI can access cell phones and modify them remotely without ever having to physically handle them," James Atkinson, a counterintelligence security consultant, told ABC News. "Any recently manufactured cell phone has a built-in tracking device, which can allow eavesdroppers to pinpoint someone's location to within just a few feet," he added.
    According to the recent court ruling by U.S. District Court Judge Lewis Kaplan, "The device functioned whether the phone was powered on or off, intercepting conversations within its range wherever it happened to be."

The FBI maintains the methods used in its investigation of the Genovese family are within the law. "The FBI does not discuss sensitive surveillance techniques other than to emphasize that any electronic surveillance is done pursuant to a court order and ongoing judicial scrutiny," Agent Jim Margolin told ABC News.
    ARJ Defense ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    This is not a new capability. Anything that has a microphone (laptop, smart devices, etc.) is fair game, too. You can thank the Patriot Act for that.

If your vehicle has a built in cellular and hands free capability like, say, OnStar or Sync, that’s fair game, too.

There are two ways to counter this. Remove the battery…increasingly a rare thing or the simple yet incredibly effective faraday bag.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    None of this is new. Edward Snowden gave us a look at what’s was going on a long time ago.
    And almost no one cared. Everyone was up on arms about treason and stealing classified documents instead of being concerned about what was in them.

The Marine Corps made us all acknowledge and sign that Wikileaks had classified information and we weren’t allowed to read it by going to that website. I just bought a copy of The NY Times every morning and made sure everyone saw what I was reading. :laughing:

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    What a huge surprise! (Sarcasim)
    Ive known for years that the Feds (and Amazon) could use our not so smart phonesto listen in on us.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    That’s
    That was DoD wide and across the IC as a whole. Didn’t keep a lot of people from doing it though.

I’ve always had issues on both sides of the equation.
    why I brought the paper in every day, to show how stupid that rule was. Big deal I couldn’t go to one website, the paper printed lots of that information, on the front page.

Again, unfortunately almost no one really cared what they did/do to us (Americans).

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That’s

why I brought the paper in every day, to show how stupid that rule was. Big deal I couldn’t go to one website, the paper printed lots of that information, on the front page.

Again, unfortunately almost no one really cared what they did/do to us (Americans).

What was real funny was the IC had to go look at what was published to figure what was compromised and from there go let the services know about stuff that impacted them.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    About faraday bags - They work if you get a good one. However, I've found that you need to turn off your phone before you put it in the bag. IME (which may just be a byproduct of the cheap phones I use, so YMMV) when the phone is turned on inside the bag it's constantly trying to find a connection. It fails and tries again, over and over. Result? Dead battery in no time.

I've had phones that last for 12 hours in constant use but if I left them on and put them in the bag, the battery would be dead in under 2 hours.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As long as we're touching on ways you can be listened to without realizing it, I hope folks realize that when you dial 911, everything is recorded, starting immediately. Before the phone is picked up, while you're holding, etc., it's all being recorded.

Illustration of how that can go wrong?

Top Bottom