• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My question would be, what kind of unit were you with that allowed the carry of personal weapons?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was illegal for both US soldiers AND US contractors to use non-FMJ's on people.

wllmwallace

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Carrying of personal non-issued weapons is at the discretion of the Company's Commanding Officer. Still in effect today. The United States Military is under Geneva Convention, however when authorized in an NON-Geneva Convention action (ie, when deployed into an area/country that does not recognize the Geneva Convention), personal duty weapons/ammunition may be authorized at the discretion of the Commanding Officer of said unit.

Personally have buddies back in the sandbox and Afghan that went back with FN-P .45's, and SA XD's as secondary service weapons.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Going on twelve years with multiple deployments and two branches, never heard or knew that.....
    Edit: Thinkin back to 2003 in Iraq, NO personally owned weapons were allowed in theatre..... that was across the board.

wllmwallace

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Denton, TX
    I was in 89-97....Corpsman, and never had an issue with carrying non-issue. Hell the 92F that was issued was considered by many to be crap...and MANY "looked the other way" when they were not carried.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I might have some idea what kind of unit he was rolling with if they allowed personal sidearms. At least two of those units were in Mogadishu at that time to my knowledge.

I know of at least one such unit operating in Afghanistan that is perfectly fine with people bringing their preferred sidearm... Someone I know just got a new holster for his Sig for use in the 'Stan. :p

Think about the difference in scrutiny and media coverage. Someone getting caught with JHPs would be a media nightmare.

There was already a congresscritter who took umbrage to snipers using HPBT ammunition. Never mind the hollow point is there for ballistic purposes and doesn't cause expansion or do anything to really aid wounding in any way (as if .308 needs much help against something as soft as a human...) or violate Geneva, as if that applies to the current conflict in any way in the first place.

Ok. I have a funny caliber BS story that you guys reminded me of. A buddy of mine in CA is originally from the Philippines, and they love their .45s there apparently. He told me that he was on a trip visiting the family home and some of his friends were giving him "advice" on how to shoot a .45. Apparently, it has so much recoil that you have to aim at a man's feet to hit him in the chest. Physics must not be a real big subject in school there...

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I had a guy tell me one time, in a hunter ed. class, that he was trading in his 30.06 since it wasn't as powerful as a 270 and didn't shoot near as flat at 300 yds. After I stopped laughing, I asked him if he could actually see 1 inch difference at 300 yds. The totally puzzled look on his face told the whole story. I guess someone should have told the military back in 1903 the 270 was better. I'm sure they would have listened.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I might have some idea what kind of unit he was rolling with if they allowed personal sidearms. At least two of those units were in Mogadishu at that time to my knowledge.

I know of at least one such unit operating in Afghanistan that is perfectly fine with people bringing their preferred sidearm... Someone I know just got a new holster for his Sig for use in the 'Stan. :p

That was my train of thought as well, those units are generally allowed ALOT of leeway when arming themselves.... I also have several friends in the same situation, however, every "conventional" unit I have ever worked with forbids the carrying of personally owned firearms. Mainly because of idiots like one we had prior to deploying, he was trying to bring his .50 Deagle. Talk about a media nightmare....

Ishtacka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Dickinson, Tx
    I still like to recount the story I heard about Insurgents in our sandy conflict zones. How they feel that if they push their rear ak sights up to their highest range setting the bullets will fly farther and faster. MMM, thats some good Taliban Learnin'.

Also, I had a 10 minute conversation with one of my students on the fact that physics does not allow the "bending" of a shot, ex. Wanted. He wouldn't believe me and told me he saw it on youtube. I stared for about 30 seconds then wondered about how much it would hurt if I put a pencil in my eye.

As for the two .45s over Japan, I hear that they were condition 1. And that if we carry condition 1, the same think will happen in our holsters!

Ish

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Also, I had a 10 minute conversation with one of my students on the fact that physics does not allow the "bending" of a shot, ex. Wanted. He wouldn't believe me and told me he saw it on youtube. I stared for about 30 seconds then wondered about how much it would hurt if I put a pencil in my eye.

I wondered about that gimmick when I watched the film, but I had performed the requisite brain shutdown to enjoy the film as best I could.

Seems like the best you could hope for with such a gimmick is a slight angle on the shot since once it exits the barrel, it's not going to have any force acting on it other than the acceleration from the gunpowder and whatever lateral vector it got from the barrel rotating. Of course, the "x" vector ("curving") is going to be trivial relative to the "y" vector (ignition).

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I still like to recount the story I heard about Insurgents in our sandy conflict zones. How they feel that if they push their rear ak sights up to their highest range setting the bullets will fly farther and faster. MMM, thats some good Taliban Learnin'.

Just say no to drugs and stay in school

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I read a story once in a police magazine (I think) about a shoot out with a bad guy and two cops. The first cop had his shotgun out and the second was just arriving. Well the BG sees an opportunity to rush LEO1 with his Bat (maybe) I can't remember the exact weapon but it would have hurt LEO1 if it had made contact. So LEO1 shoots the BG with his shotgun in the stomach. Well the BG fell down and got back up! And started running at LEO1 again, at this point LEO2 had just arrived on the scene and drawn his .45. He saw the BG running at LEO1 and fires a single shot into the BG. Wittiness's said that they saw the man "move backwards and fall". The man was rushed to the hospital and treated for gun shot wounds and he lived. He was latter interviewed by a reporter and asked about being shot with a shotgun and a pistol all in the same day. He said "I was mad and I was fighting, I didn't want to go to jail. I felt something hit me in my stomach hard and I fell down but I wasn't done fighting yet and then, something like to tore my damn arm off and I thought it was time to stop". Keep in mind it's been years sense I read this article and for the most part I'm confident that it is accurate, I know the statement made by the BG was mostly accurate because I have never forgot that part. Talk about a rough night tho.

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I wondered about that gimmick when I watched the film, but I had performed the requisite brain shutdown to enjoy the film as best I could.

This is a required part for most movies.

The actual science is terrible in most movies. The idea of momentum just doesn't exists.

It annoys me when you see a guy firing a fully automatic rifle in each hand with no recoil.

Or have you ever looked at the physics of a movie like Eraser? Fun reads if you are a nerd (like me).

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is when the hero (or bad guy) has been fighting or what not and it comes to the dramatic moment and they a. rack the slide, b. pump the shotgun, or c. pull back the hammer off the gun. . . . . .So where they fighting with an empty gun the whole time or what?!!

Top Bottom