• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    www.fast762.com: FAST is owned and operated by a retired U.S. Army Special Forces Sergeant Major whose service included many years as an Assaulter, Sniper, and Combat Leader in the Army’s highest priority Special Mission Unit. He has been employing a variety of weapons in training and combat for over 25 years in Central and South America, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and most recently Iraq and Afghanistan. As a long time member of America'’s premier Hostage Rescue Unit he attended many training courses taught by top competitive shooters and trained and worked alongside some of today’s most sought after instructors. Members of this Unit are world renowned for being both excellent marksman and extremely safe, practical trainers. He has trained and advised hundreds of U.S. and foreign students around the world as a soldier and as a contractor for various government agencies and private companies.

You can view an AAR from a private pistol class here: AAR: FAST Inc. Combat Handgun, Chappell Hill, TX. - M4Carbine.net Forums

This course is for the shooter who wishes to establish good basic skills so they can safely and efficiently draw from a holster and quickly and accurately hit multiple targets. It is also very appropriate for experienced shooters who are new to pistols or wish to improve, refresh, or reinforce their basic skills so they can better handle their pistol in a high-stress incident. Students will depart the course with a thorough understanding of the pistol and valuable knowledge of how to employ and maintain their weapon and how to conduct their own training in a safe, efficient manner.

Cost:
    $150

Course Content includes, but is not limited to:

Safety / Gun Handling
    Mental and Physical Conditioning
    Pistol operation
    Assembly / Disassembly
    Cleaning and Lubrication
    Function Check
    Load / Unload / Clear
    Ammunition
    Marksmanship Fundamentals
    Shooting Positions
    Reloading and Malfunctions
    Accessories (holsters, mag pouches, lights, magazines, etc)
    Single and Multiple Target Drills

What you will need for the course:
    Serviceable semi-auto pistol or double action revolver
    Three magazines minimum (5 is better, call before you buy) or two speedloaders
    Cleaning kit with oil (call before you buy)
    400 rounds of factory loaded ammo
    Ballistic Eye protection (clear and tinted) (call before you buy)
    Hearing protection (recommend foamies and muffs)
    Belt Holster made for your pistol (no shoulder holsters, cross draw holsters, or “universal” holsters allowed / call before you buy)
    Concealment Holster (optional) – the one you carry in every day
    Pouch for carrying spare magazines or speedloaders (call before you buy)
    Water, snacks, lunch
    Sunscreen (recommended)
    Bug spray (recommended)

It is recommended that you wear long pants, long sleeve shirt, ball cap or hat, and appropriate footwear for walking. A range bag or backpack will be helpful. Camelbacks are OK.

For more information contact Kenan at
    TELEPHONE: 979-224-3779
    E-MAIL: fast762@hotmail.com
    Guns International

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for posting it Joey. I've been dealing with some family stuff the past few days and have been scatterbrained.

I'm going to try my best to make this one. We NEED to get some more TGT members out to Kenan's classes. There is no better training deal around from a former military special operations member of this level of quality!

midnightyell

Makes Aggie Jokes Reality
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    Cypress
    I'll be out-of-state on the 23rd, but after reading that AAR, I think a day in Chappel Hill with the SGM is definitely in my future!

Would love it if I could get a couple (or 7) more TGT members to sign up for the same session!

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'd be interested in doing a course with some TGT members at some point if we could get a group

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    I will be out there for this class and would love to see some more TGT members. However, don't let others dictate you getting training or feel like you need to be part of a group to come out.

This is a great class, initial response has been very good and slots are filling fast. Please don't hesitate to sign up!

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I will be out there for this class and would love to see some more TGT members. However, don't let others dictate you getting training or feel like you need to be part of a group to come out.

This is a great class, initial response has been very good and slots are filling fast. Please don't hesitate to sign up!

TGT group would just be a plus, not a necessity. Unfortunately, I'll be busy that weekend.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    Short answer is no... RDS aside, this is the second one of these I've seen that has exhibited some reliability issues as well, but I'm a stock gun kinda guy and don't dabble too much into the Gucci gear.

Long answer:

He'd been running two of them since February, IIRC. A few students also borrowed his guns to try at the class.

He said up close, the guys that were fast with iron sights would still smoke him during presentation and target transitions.

For group shooting or shooting at distance, accuracy was slightly improved. If I had to put a number on it I'd say 10-25% depending on the shooter.

My take on the current popular RDS setups on pistols is that they aren't quite there yet. I do not like an optic without a quick detach capability. Period. If you've ever shot in the rain or land in the mud, you know what I mean.

The other issue with RMR and similar RDS is the way the LED module is exposed.... it can be blocked with a raindrop, snow, pocket lint, etc. and greatly distort or block the dot.

As far as the slow presentation goes.... I personally did not have that issue during my trial and error. If you have a consistent index on the gun, the dot will be there. If you don't, you'll spend a lot of time "fishing" for the dot and trying to track it. Kinda like shooting a small RDS on a carbine (Aimpoint t-1) vs having a wide window like the eotech.

I will say that the RDS seems to be a fantastic choice for shooters with bad eyesight or aging eyes, not having to focus on the front sight can be a huge advantage for them thus making THEM faster with it than they would be with irons.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Short answer is no... RDS aside, this is the second one of these I've seen that has exhibited some reliability issues as well, but I'm a stock gun kinda guy and don't dabble too much into the Gucci gear.

Long answer:

He'd been running two of them since February, IIRC. A few students also borrowed his guns to try at the class.

He said up close, the guys that were fast with iron sights would still smoke him during presentation and target transitions.

For group shooting or shooting at distance, accuracy was slightly improved. If I had to put a number on it I'd say 10-25% depending on the shooter.

My take on the current popular RDS setups on pistols is that they aren't quite there yet. I do not like an optic without a quick detach capability. Period. If you've ever shot in the rain or land in the mud, you know what I mean.

The other issue with RMR and similar RDS is the way the LED module is exposed.... it can be blocked with a raindrop, snow, pocket lint, etc. and greatly distort or block the dot.

As far as the slow presentation goes.... I personally did not have that issue during my trial and error. If you have a consistent index on the gun, the dot will be there. If you don't, you'll spend a lot of time "fishing" for the dot and trying to track it. Kinda like shooting a small RDS on a carbine (Aimpoint t-1) vs having a wide window like the eotech.

I will say that the RDS seems to be a fantastic choice for shooters with bad eyesight or aging eyes, not having to focus on the front sight can be a huge advantage for them thus making THEM faster with it than they would be with irons.

Great comments. I see some people claiming how the RDS on a pistol is the end all be all of upgrades, and I am kind of with you on your comments. If someone had been using one during that class in College Station, I highly doubt it would have worked as well as they do during the dry day time. I would still be interested in shooting a gun with one, but I am glad to see that it doesn't take an average shooter and move him to a superior level shooter. With all things there is a marketing angle involved one would have to assume...

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

This has been the number one thing I've found with RDS on handguns, and probably one of the biggest complaints or misconceptions people have. It further illustrates the importance of building that consistency and subconscious competence to the point of having a consistent index. I think a consistent index goes a long way towards maintaining accuracy even in less than perfect conditions as well. That ability to pick out a specific point/object, focus on it, and press the gun out to that exact point is hugely beneficial to speed, accuracy, and consistency.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Great comments. I see some people claiming how the RDS on a pistol is the end all be all of upgrades, and I am kind of with you on your comments. If someone had been using one during that class in College Station, I highly doubt it would have worked as well as they do during the dry day time. I would still be interested in shooting a gun with one, but I am glad to see that it doesn't take an average shooter and move him to a superior level shooter. With all things there is a marketing angle involved one would have to assume...

The best summary I can think of to make about RDS on pistols is along the same lines as using a thumbs forward grip versus other less effective grip methods: It allows you to shoot as well as you possibly can.

Note, I said "allows" instead of makes. Using a low, slide-mounted RDS on a handgun can allow the opportunity to maximize a person's ability to do certain things better. Whether a shooter has the level of subconscious competence, consistency, muscle memory, etc. to actually utilize those opportunities is going to depend entirely on the shooter. I would not say a slide-mounted RDS is the be all and end all, but the concept shows great promise for those that understand how to utilize it and especially when mini RDS technology gets where it needs to be from a durability/reliability standpoint.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    If someone had been using one during that class in College Station, I highly doubt it would have worked as well as they do during the dry day time. I would still be interested in shooting a gun with one, but I am glad to see that it doesn't take an average shooter and move him to a superior level shooter. With all things there is a marketing angle involved one would have to assume...

Absolutely. With downpour like that any surgical shot would be a no-go. Now, if we had some sort of quick release mount, it'd be ok.

I look for the one club that can play the whole course, in the end it is up to the shooter to decide if the pros and cons balance out.

Here's a short vid of a drill from the class, will have more up later: GTFO drill - YouTube

Top Bottom