DK Firearms

Farmers willing to let you hunt on their property - free of charge.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Okay, I know similar questions have been posted before. I just haven't found what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know of a farmer within 150 miles of DFW who allows individuals to come onto his property and hunt hogs or any other varmits for either free or a small fee? Does anyone know of a place, such as classified, where farmers might advertise this?

I'd like to learn how to hunt, and don't want to spend a ton of money to have someone drive me a round and shoot at unsuspecting animals.

I have known of farmers who have blinds built on their property and use these blinds for both hogs and deer. I also believe that if you hare on either your own private property or the owner has allowed you to hunt on his private property, you don't have to have a hunting license.

I think this might be a fun opportunity for those of us on TGT to get together and shoot at moving targets.

Hopefully I'm not chasing a dream. I have a brother out of state that found a farmer who would pay him $1/head for coyotes killed on his propety. So my brother would go hunt, have the time of his life, and make gas money while doing it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Guns International

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Hogs don't usually require a license......
    Right.

Excerpt from my link above...
    A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in this state (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license). No license is required for nuisance fur-bearing animals, depredating hogs or coyotes (see below). Non-residents under 17 years of age may purchase and hunt with the Youth Hunting License (Type 169).
    Exceptions: a hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

• Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl.
    • Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
    • Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    You're better off getting a license. They aren't that much. It makes Game Warden interactions go smoother, and then you have it in case you get an opportunity to hunt something you need it for.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Richardson
    I was wondering about this, I dont mine paying for the license, or a small fee to hunt hogs . Some ranch owners are making it a business out of it, with feeders and all the bells and whistle. I just want to go out in my truck, gun, and cooler to hunt some hogs no weekend retreat.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    That's a tough one leonidas. Too much liability for the landowner is usually what sours the deal. On any property in Texas, regardless of size, you are responsible for any projectiles you fire. Legally they become responsible for any stray bullets. That's always hard to monitor unless they also serve as a guide. Which is why most of them prefer to make it into a high-profit venture rather than "free" maintenance. One of these days, we need to pool some dough together and get a proper hunting lease for TGT members. I am lucky to have some life-long family friends that let me hunt on their property but even at that, we rarely travel down south(Pearsall) just to blast hogs. It's usually just a bonus during hunting season after we bag some deer.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I was watching hogs gone wild on discovery channel and was wondering why these "professionals" hunt them the way they do. I seems like they drive around in a gator looking for the pigs. When they see a pig, they turn their dogs loose. The dogs hold the pig while the guy runs up, tackles the pig, and then he stabs it with a knife. WTF are they doing?? Seems like they are unnecessarily putting their dogs and themselves in danger.

I've got a better plan... See pig. Shoot pig. You can shoot hogs with a suppressor so you don't even have to wake anyone up with the shot. I could see where dogs would still be useful to track or flush them out if you're having trouble finding them.

Those guys on TV are obviously being paid for hog removal. Seems to me some ranchers could stand to save some money if they could be redirected to this forum

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Having talked with land owners before I cant find any who don't have their hand out. Getting a free hunt is an impossibility. You want to
    Pay to play? Lets talk $200.00 a day and maybe throw In a kill fee. You will also fill out a waver. It's really sad. "help, help hogs are eatin' me out of house and home. But it's still a buck A pound and at $100 minimum. It Really sux! The worst part is farmer "a" is
    Hollering while farmers "b" and "c" are actively raising, breeding and releasing big hogs. The best or worst part is the extra trophy fee because you shot a rooshan boar. A tuft of hair at the shoulders does not mean owe some farmer an extra $100 as a trophy.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    That's a tough one leonidas. Too much liability for the landowner is usually what sours the deal. On any property in Texas, regardless of size, you are responsible for any projectiles you fire. Legally they become responsible for any stray bullets. That's always hard to monitor unless they also serve as a guide. Which is why most of them prefer to make it into a high-profit venture rather than "free" maintenance. One of these days, we need to pool some dough together and get a proper hunting lease for TGT members. I am lucky to have some life-long family friends that let me hunt on their property but even at that, we rarely travel down south(Pearsall) just to blast hogs. It's usually just a bonus during hunting season after we bag some deer.

Eye wuz a feared' of dat.... I'm not against getting a hunting license, at least there are public lands and seasons to use it.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Sorry, nothing is free these days. As already pointed out there are liabilities, and if the land owner doesn't know you the likelihood of them, just giving you unsupervised access to their land with a rifle is slim. If you were going to hunt archery, you'd have a better chance, as there's less risk, but I think you'd still need to buddy up a bit. Yeah they all complain about the damages hogs do to land, but it's just not in the cards..

On the other hand there are day hunts you can book that are in the $100 range... those cheap ones usually don't guarantee a kill, but it's called hunting not killing so you need to use your skills. If your new to hog hunting, the one of the guided deals is better. I know some think that's not sporting, but it really is. They just show you the good spots, and basically do the scouting that would take you a lot of time to do.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I was watching hogs gone wild on discovery channel and was wondering why these "professionals" hunt them the way they do. I seems like they drive around in a gator looking for the pigs. When they see a pig, they turn their dogs loose. The dogs hold the pig while the guy runs up, tackles the pig, and then he stabs it with a knife. WTF are they doing?? Seems like they are unnecessarily putting their dogs and themselves in danger.

I've got a better plan... See pig. Shoot pig. You can shoot hogs with a suppressor so you don't even have to wake anyone up with the shot. I could see where dogs would still be useful to track or flush them out if you're having trouble finding them.

Those guys on TV are obviously being paid for hog removal. Seems to me some ranchers could stand to save some money if they could be redirected to this forum

They're the smaller feral hogs on TV, not the big wild dudes. If you jump on a 400+ lb russian with big ass tusks you're more of a man than I. I'd go spear and stop there. But really, why waste a spear. I'm convinced God created hogs so that men can have fun with AKs.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Farming has always been a marginal business. If a farmer can make a few bucks leasing out his land - and if he's willing to put up with the potential liability of letting somebody on his land - then that's what he'll do.

Texas Parks & Wildlife has some very low cost hunting on public land. Check out their web site for details on what's available near you.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Farming has always been a marginal business. If a farmer can make a few bucks leasing out his land - and if he's willing to put up with the potential liability of letting somebody on his land - then that's what he'll do.

Texas Parks & Wildlife has some very low cost hunting on public land. Check out their web site for details on what's available near you.

Will do, thanks everyone!

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    You're better off getting a license. They aren't that much. It makes Game Warden interactions go smoother, and then you have it in case you get an opportunity to hunt something you need it for.
    Ran into that depredation question before. I was actually asked if all the hogs were causing depredation.
    " Well they damn sure wont now, I said". HeHe.
    I think it's really hard for them to do anything about it, but yes I agree the hunting license is way too cheap and just good insurance.

Top Bottom