• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Is not a good combo. On its face, cannot through-bolt the mount. Will probably run 2-part epoxy along the legs and use 1/4x1” wood screws to secure, but it’s awful close to the hardware that mounts the FA table platform to the support brace.

The end caps on the support brace are spot welded, so ripping the off isn’t the most efficient way to go about this.

Still, for a portable setup, it’s pretty sweet.

ee7539ffae952d2e5b56d4620d9f623f.jpg

Attachments

• ee7539ffae952d2e5b56d4620d9f623f.jpg
      ee7539ffae952d2e5b56d4620d9f623f.jpg
      77.5 KB · Views: 480

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I didn't even know FA made a table.

How sturdy is this setup? Was thinking of setting up the press in my office and something like this would make life easy.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I didn't even know FA made a table.

How sturdy is this setup? Was thinking of setting up the press in my office and something like this would make life easy.

The table is probably 30lbs. The mounting surface is on an H-brace to the stem and the legs spread the weigh pretty well. At this stage, it’s pretty sturdy.

I’m moving an RL550 onto it this weekend, will let you know the end result, but I think it’s going to work out pretty well.

The limit, I think, is going to be padded carpet. If it can spread the weight appropriately then now problem. If not, we’ll see.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Cool deal.

I just noticed the cutouts for Akro bins. That's really slick.

Are the horizontal supports solid steel or hollow? Wondering if you'd be able to drill through them and just run the anchor bolts all the way through?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Cool deal.

I just noticed the cutouts for Akro bins. That's really slick.

Are the horizontal supports solid steel or hollow? Wondering if you'd be able to drill through them and just run the anchor bolts all the way through?

Ships with 2x bins, to boot. One could drill thru the supports if so inclined. I’m still debating the epoxy vs drill through option, but I don’t have a press handy. Maybe time for a portable drill press.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ships with 2x bins, to boot. One could drill thru the supports if so inclined. I’m still debating the epoxy vs drill through option, but I don’t have a press handy. Maybe time for a portable drill press.
    The Chinesium metal used would be easily defeated by a cordless drill and half decent bit.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The saga continues. Mocked up the strong mount and clamped it in place to mark the holes for through bolting it, then pulled it off to see how close it was going to be.

Turns out really close. Had the remove the table’s mounting hardware to get a clean pass with the 5/16 bit. That was a good thing, because the lock nuts for the table were just barely snug.

Anyways, it looks like there will be washer overlap when it’s all said and done. I started with 2 1/2” 1/4 -20 through bolts and realized that I when it’s all assembled the lock nut for my thru bolts wasn’t going to fully engage. I like to see 3 threads or so exposed and the 2 1/2” bolts weren’t going to have any threads exposed at all. Will stop at Home Depot tomorrow and pick up 3” bolts to finish it.

9bfbd1251c942c7eb04dd2e609c94ddd.jpg

Attachments

• 9bfbd1251c942c7eb04dd2e609c94ddd.jpg
      9bfbd1251c942c7eb04dd2e609c94ddd.jpg
      153.9 KB · Views: 373

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’m considering removing the countersunk table thru bolts entirely and shifting the load to the strong mount thru bolts. If not that, then I’ll remove the washers for the table thru bolts since they won’t be taking the majority of the load.

I kind of wish FA wound have moved their table thru bolts another inch toward the center on all four corners. It wouldn’t have affected the load carried by those bolts.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Did you drill through the table mount washers already?

I'd just add your new bolts and washers and tighten them up. It may bend the new washers but should tighten down just fine.

I have no idea what the bottom looks like though.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Did you drill through the table mount washers already?

I'd just add your new bolts and washers and tighten them up. It may bend the new washers but should tighten down just fine.

I have no idea what the bottom looks like though.

I did not drill through the table mount washers.

In the end, I decided to remove the table mounting hardware and just use the strong mount hardware to secure it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Figured a final pic was due after I adjusted the dies and added a UFO light. It’s set up in my office in between my desk and my contemplating chair to show some perspective.

Adjusting height is really a two person job...one to lift to the preferred height, one to tighten the set screw. It meets my desire for a portable setup and that’s all that really mattered.

I can also see that use cases where having this stand with a quick change plate would be beneficial.

0871689eec46916f57ddc4ea4d0edd45.jpg

Attachments

• 0871689eec46916f57ddc4ea4d0edd45.jpg
      0871689eec46916f57ddc4ea4d0edd45.jpg
      77.1 KB · Views: 423

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    You get much wobble or flex with it?

I see the potential for it, but haven’t experienced any during the set up phase. Amazingly, it looks way less sturdy than it feels in operation; I think that has a lot to do with the footprint of the legs and the overall weight being spread out pretty evenly.

I’ll try to run a batch through this week to get a better feel.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Nice, looking forward to hearing what you think. As I mentioned, I'm evaluating options for setting up a press in my office. Might just build another bench in there but something less permanent would be ideal.

Top Bottom