• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Any chance its a salt water pool? Those are sooooo nice.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
    So interestingly enough I've talked to several pool builders about salt water and all of them advised against due to corrosion issues. These are well known builders in the area too.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    So interestingly enough I've talked to several pool builders about salt water and all of them advised against due to corrosion issues. These are well known builders in the area too.
    I've been in the pool business for 10 years now. Service/repair/install. I would definitely recommend against a salt pool. Every salt pool I've ever dealt with has been converted to chlorine. I'm sure salt pools work great in places like SoCal, but here where we have 100+ degree weather in the summer they won't keep up and will turn into a pond quick. As far as corrosion, chlorine is also highly corrosive.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Thanks for the confirmation.

What are your thoughts on ozone / uv systems used with chlorine?

Also if you don't mind sharing, are there any particular must haves or must avoids in building a pool? Gauge of rebar, size of water supply, etc.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    It has a pool with water in it? :) I have no idea, but I'll learn more on Thursday when we do the inspection. I've never owned a house with a pool so this is all new. I'll probably ask a lot of questions.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I've been in the pool business for 10 years now. Service/repair/install. I would definitely recommend against a salt pool. Every salt pool I've ever dealt with has been converted to chlorine. I'm sure salt pools work great in places like SoCal, but here where we have 100+ degree weather in the summer they won't keep up and will turn into a pond quick. As far as corrosion, chlorine is also highly corrosive.
    Have never owned a pool.
    Never considered corrosion.
    I was in socal when i swam in one. Amd it was super easy on the eyes under water, skin felt amazing.

If i were to install one id take your advice.

Do you do work in Houston?

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Thanks for the confirmation.

What are your thoughts on ozone / uv systems used with chlorine?

Also if you don't mind sharing, are there any particular must haves or must avoids in building a pool? Gauge of rebar, size of water supply, etc.
    UV systems where a joke a few years back, but have taken strides in development. I would recommend one now. We mostly use the aqualinks.

As for rebar it depends mostly on the terrain. Take ground saturation into account and plan accordingly. When you ask about water supply are you referring to a auto fill system? Or an initial start up?

One thing I would strongly recommend is the finish. A pebbletech finish will last much longer than a plaster finish. Plaster will degraded much quicker with the UV we have here. Also it will hide things like stains better.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Have never owned a pool.
    Never considered corrosion.
    I was in socal when i swam in one. Amd it was super easy on the eyes under water, skin felt amazing.

If i were to install one id take your advice.

Do you do work in Houston?

Unfortunately I don't. We have been pretty slammed for the last few seasons here in West Austin. Need some more guys!

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    By water supply I meant size of the supply pipe. One of the builders I'm talking to now has gone into a lot of detail about things like that, size of rebar, etc and another we have gotten a design and quote from hasn't mentioned anything about it.

Thanks for the info. Pebbletech was what we were going to do even though it was more than plaster.

Sounds like we're on the right track for equipment.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    By water supply I meant size of the supply pipe. One of the builders I'm talking to now has gone into a lot of detail about things like that, size of rebar, etc and another we have gotten a design and quote from hasn't mentioned anything about it.

Thanks for the info. Pebbletech was what we were going to do even though it was more than plaster.

If you're in a city proper check with your local building code enforcement. If so I'd be surprised if they didn't have code requirements which will not only cover diameter required but spacing as well.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central

Most of the autofills we install are 1 inch. I have used larger 1 1/4 for pools over 30,000 gallons. I'm sure your builder will know what best for the size pool you are building.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Speaking of thread derailment.
    Your comment made zero sense. So i kinda went a different way. And i did t even bring up pools! I just rolled with it.

You referenced 2 deputies in compton.

Im not familiar with the incident you were referring to, but i doubt those LEOs care that black people are legally buying guns, or ammo, or taking the bus to harbor freight. And i doubt they would want to investigate the missing catalytic converters.

Im sure they have their hands full in compton. Ive worked there myself, not a great place.

Top Bottom