• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Got another question for you all as I'm pondering an upgrade to my electrical generator for emergency use. Right now I've got a Coleman 4,000 watt generator for emergency use. I keep a minimum of 10 gallons of gas with Sta-Bil on hand at all times, which with this generator pulling an 80% load is about 40 hours of run time. I've also got heavy-duty cables with multiple outlets for plugging in refrigerators, freezer, microwave, etc. Anybody have their homes rigged to wire in their generator when needed? Is that difficult to do? Be interested to know the details of the generators you guys own and use.
    Lynx Defense

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    My last two houses were wired so I could flip a switch to generator power and plug the generator in outside. I could power all of the demand, just not simultaneously with a 5K. I also have a 6.5K. Back up to the back up. I am going to do the same with my new house. I may try some hydro and solar augmentation and see if I can't reduce my dependancy on the grid.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    My Home Depot stocks some transfer switches that will cover you for a very reasonable price. Here is one from their website: [url]http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgg/R-100151385/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053[/URL]

It's the easiest way to do it if your panel is convenient to where you will run your generator. If not, you can run your own 50A cable and have an electrician tie it all together using the transfer switch. That way you can have the receptical installed at the location you'll run the generator.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I just had a 20kW Generac generator installed this summer. We live way out in the woods and lose power a lot. This one runs off propane, and will power the whole house for about 8 or 9 days with a 250 gallon propane tank. It is hooked into an automatic transfer switch so that when the power goes out it will automatically start and take over the load. Also have a 32kW PTO generator that runs off my tractor that we used for years, lots of power but burns a lot of diesel.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I just have my little honda Eu2000 and it does a good job, but it doesn't power the AC.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    After Rita came through we went over a week with no power, hot as hell. Between that and the fact I work overseas and am gone a lot with wife and kids at home, the automatic generator that will run everything including the AC just made sense.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    My last two houses were wired so I could flip a switch to generator power and plug the generator in outside. I could power all of the demand, just not simultaneously with a 5K. I also have a 6.5K. Back up to the back up. I am going to do the same with my new house. I may try some hydro and solar augmentation and see if I can't reduce my dependancy on the grid.

If I remember correctly, Hawg, you've got a stream flowing through your new property. Any chance of setting up with a Pelton-type water wheel, or is there not enough gradient to produce much head?

My Home Depot stocks some transfer switches that will cover you for a very reasonable price. Here is one from their website: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053[url]http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgg/R-100151385/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053[/URL]

It's the easiest way to do it if your panel is convenient to where you will run your generator. If not, you can run your own 50A cable and have an electrician tie it all together using the transfer switch. That way you can have the receptical installed at the location you'll run the generator.

Thank you for the link. I'm seriously considering getting another generator in the 12,000 watt class and keeping my 4,000 as a backup. If I do get the 12,000 watt gen I'll certainly hook it up with a transfer switch like you and Hawg suggest.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Here you go, it comes with an automatic transfer switch. They have an 18,000 watt unit you might want to look at, too. You may find it's worth going up in generator capacity, when you consider that installation and hookup is almost as much (it doesn't cost any more to install a larger unit unless your natural gas supply line is too small).....the additional cost to get something that will run your entire home becomes less of an overall percentage cost once installation is factored in.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100628960

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We had a Powerline Technology program where I worked in Oklahoma. They stressed that a home generator unit must be isolated from the line as it will back feed through the transformers and smoke a lineman working on the distribution lines. Be very careful how you attach it to the home lines.

Just a thought.

Flash

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    We had a Powerline Technology program where I worked in Oklahoma. They stressed that a home generator unit must be isolated from the line as it will back feed through the transformers and smoke a lineman working on the distribution lines. Be very careful how you attach it to the home lines.

Just a thought.

Flash

This is the reason everyone is suggesting a transfer switch. I would feel comfortable backfeeding to the house in an emergency, but it is a less than ideal permanent setup if you plan on living in the same place for a while. If you have to backfeed into the house, use a 220/230 double male and doing you're own lockout at the main house disconnect is mandatory for your and lineman's safety.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Another question for you all. Are there any brands of generator, and/or are there "add-on" products like mufflers that can be added to them? My Coleman is called in the literature "the quiet power"-- yah, right!--and I'd definitely prefer something that runs quieter when buying a new generator in the 10,000+ watt class.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    That question will get on the long side of a google search. Essentially, the smaller generators are normally louder than the larger ones, it has to do with design, amount of insulation, muffler, and intended use. The larger ones tend to be quieter, but again, it depends on design. You'll want an engine w/overhead valves, not side valves. You will also find that most manufacturers offer a quiet version. If you went to the first link I provided to Home Depot, it took you to the Generac page. Well, they are not on the page, but Generac sells a QuietSource version which designed to be quieter. It is liquid cooled, only runs at 1800 rpm, is 70db @ 7' (vs 60db @ 23' on the standard 17kw Guardian), and the smallest one is 22,000 watts......it's also quite a bit pricier.

It's like everything else you buy, you have to balance your needs/wants with your budget. You can also dampen the sound by carefully designing it's location. You can install a brick wall mostly around it or something similar.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    All this generator talk got me to thinking. I currently have a set-up where in case of power outage I first turn off & lock out the main breaker at the electric meter pole and then turn off all breakers in my house. I unplug my dryer cord and plug in a 10 ga cord that runs outside the house. The end out side has a plug for the 220 side of my 8500 watt generator. Start generator.......go inside and turn on breaker for the dryer and then just turn on other breakers as needed to get my TV, refrigerator, freezer, gas heater etc going. Never try to run AC just fans in the house if the temperature is warm. Anyone see any problems? Keep in mind the main box outside is locked out off to prevent frying a lineman.

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    All this generator talk got me to thinking. I currently have a set-up where in case of power outage I first turn off & lock out the main breaker at the electric meter pole and then turn off all breakers in my house. I unplug my dryer cord and plug in a 10 ga cord that runs outside the house. The end out side has a plug for the 220 side of my 8500 watt generator. Start generator.......go inside and turn on breaker for the dryer and then just turn on other breakers as needed to get my TV, refrigerator, freezer, gas heater etc going. Never try to run AC just fans in the house if the temperature is warm. Anyone see any problems? Keep in mind the main box outside is locked out off to prevent frying a lineman.

This is backfeeding and it's what several posts in the thread were attempting to avoid with recommending a transfer switch. Like I said in my previous post it will do in an emergency, but isn't an ideal setup permanently. If you own your house and plan to live there for a while, I would recommend dropping the money on a professionally installed transfer switch.

Some problems with backfeed hookups:

-Backfeeding on to the grid (You have taken care of this when you pull your main disconnect, but you could forget or someone else could flip it back on. A transfer switch FORCES you to disconnect from the grid to run the house of a generator, it's one or the other.)

-Backfeeding that much load, even through a 220, can cause heat and possibly fire issues.

-As you know since you have this setup, the connecting cord is a double male. If it gets disconnected while the genny is running you have unprotected live male prongs. This pretty much = TOASTY DEATH. If you have family around this would be my most serious concern. What if you're not home and out of contact and a son, daughter, or wife tries to fire up the genny "cause it can't be that hard." The cord could also be accidentally knocked out. If you have to run a backfeeding setup, at least secure the cord into the socket with a screw hole strap attached to the bordering studs.

Bottom line, I wouldn't run this setup if there was even a remote chance of family members being around it.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    My father taught me to treat electricity with the same respect you treat firearms. With an uprated generator I'd most definitely have a professional do the installation for peace of mind. To coin a phrase from a movie, I don't mess with the Big E!

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    i have an 18000kw generac i have a 50 amp plug box on my meter pole wired in to the main 200amp service with a double 50 below the main breaker when the power goes out i plug in turn off the 200amp main turn on the double 50 fire up the gen and runs the whole house as before and no back feeding works fine.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Top Bottom