• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Ok, so I am much more of a deer and hog hunter than a bird hunter. However, I friend of mine lives out in Granger and has a decent sized pond out on the property. Every year we take down a few doves but never really see them in big numbers. It also seems that every time I gut one, it has a belly full of wild maize. Now, I know it is illegal to bait for migratory birds but I have also read that it is ok to plant seed bearing crops that serve a useful purpose. I was thinking sunflowers or maize. In the areas around the pond there are some open fields that are rarely planted on. I read that even disking an open field is legal and can attract birds but I was curious to see if anyone has been down this road before ? What is the best bang for your buck when it comes to planting to draw in birds ? I know I may have to PH test and/or condition the soil, but I am willing to put in the work to make it happen. Any advice is better than none,thanks guys - Texmex
    ARJ Defense ad

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Your onthe right track. A water hole and planting something to eat works well at bringing the birds in.
    Also, cover yourself. Have a blind to shoot out of. I noticed a long time ago the birds would turn if they see something abnormal.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    basically, put them in between a rock and a place to get shot. best set-up i've ever seen was a 30 acre plot with maze/corn depending on season across the fence, and a creek running through the plot. just set up hunters in parallel across the plot to keep flocks flying in the death zone.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You should become a Sunflower seed farmer. Doves love Sunflower seeds.

My uncle planted oats for his cattle and his deer population. When the animals ate all the oats, the Sunflowers moved in. We could have hunted Dove with a stick. All the neighbors hunted right on the fence line and thanked him when they saw him.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Also, other than opening day and maybe one or two days after, (they are very spooked after that) you need to time your hunts with cold fronts. A good front will drive them down from up north in large numbers. They fly just a little ahead of the front.

Top Bottom