• ...and so much more!
  • Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    3 of my 5 favorite places to dove hunt are now subdivisions, and a shopping mall. The other two are outside of Stamford and Megargel, a bit of a haul from here. Fence row to fence row farming has ruined a lot of historically good places. That and urban sprawl. Best ever was sitting on a line of mesquites between a tank and a field of sunflowers.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    Yes, they get eaten.
    There are many ways of cooking them.
    Breast wrapped in bacon w/cream cheese and jalapeno slice smoked/grilled is very popular. I've seen them used in gumbo.
    Cleaning them isn't difficult but makes a mess with the feathers. Takes just a minute or two per bird.
    The trick is to get the downed bird cooled asap.
    Dove hunting typically occurs during hot weather. A dead dove shoved in the back pocket of the hunting vest, left there all day, in high temps, tends to go rank.
    I like to have a small cooler nearby with some ice in it. Downed bird goes into a large ziplock bag on the ice as soon as possible. Prevents spoilage.
    Dove used to be all over the place. Last few years they seem to have changed their patterns. Places formerly covered with dove are now devoid.
    Probably has something to do with so much farmland now being sub-divisions.
    I'm more used to this-

View from my mountain cabin window
    20200109_133918.jpg

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Yes, they get eaten.
    There are many ways of cooking them.
    Breast wrapped in bacon w/cream cheese and jalapeno slice smoked/grilled is very popular. I've seen them used in gumbo.
    Cleaning them isn't difficult but makes a mess with the feathers. Takes just a minute or two per bird.
    The trick is to get the downed bird cooled asap.
    Dove hunting typically occurs during hot weather. A dead dove shoved in the back pocket of the hunting vest, left there all day, in high temps, tends to go rank.
    I like to have a small cooler nearby with some ice in it. Downed bird goes into a large ziplock bag on the ice as soon as possible. Prevents spoilage.
    Dove used to be all over the place. Last few years they seem to have changed their patterns. Places formerly covered with dove are now devoid.

<>

Do you keep your coldbeer in the same cooler ?

Have you found us a lease with birds ?

TPW is reporting more birds this year than last.

I’m too soon after surgery to have made opening weekend, but should be ready b/f end of 2nd South Zone split in October.

I have my little 20GA lubed & ready. Beau the Dog is ready, too.

leVieux

<>

Attachments

• IMG_4534.jpeg
      IMG_4534.jpeg
      42.2 KB · Views: 15

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    <>

Do you keep your coldbeer in the same cooler ?
    No. Just water.
    Drinking beer in the hot sun makes me sick as a dog.

Have you found us a lease with birds ?
    No. Not having any luck finding a lease.
    TPW is reporting more birds this year than last.
    TPW is on drugs. I have no idea where they’re counting birds but it sure isn’t around here.
    I’m too soon after surgery to have made opening weekend, but should be ready b/f end of 2nd South Zone split in October.

I have my little 20GA lubed & ready. Beau the Dog is ready, too.

leVieux

<>

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    What do you do with them? Are they eaten?
    Seems small; more work cleaning than meat gotten.
    They're not hunted where I'm from, but not prolific either.

As many have said, breast inside a a jalapeño with cream cheese, slice of onion, wrapped in bacon and then grilled.

My wife also deep fries them and makes dove nuggets for the kids. Those go great with mash potatoes and gravy.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    3 of my 5 favorite places to dove hunt are now subdivisions, and a shopping mall. The other two are outside of Stamford and Megargel, a bit of a haul from here. Fence row to fence row farming has ruined a lot of historically good places. That and urban sprawl. Best ever was sitting on a line of mesquites between a tank and a field of sunflowers.

I used to get to hunt on a place that had a pond which was about 400 yards from 500 acres of milo. We (4-6 guys) were done hunting in 45 mintues or less.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Places formerly covered with dove are now devoid.
    Same thing for pheasants back in the cornfields up north. Modern farming techniques, subdivisions, and coyotes have all taken their toll. Now they have "clubs" putting on "hunts" that you pay per bird. Birds are released into the fields after money has changed hands. Sad.

I used to drive a lot of gravel country roads for work. It was the highlight of the season to see a cock (ring-necked pheasant) flush next to the road. If I was lucky, I'd see one or two a year. Some years, I wouldn't see any.

Top Bottom