• ...and so much more!
  • dmwz71

Professional Retiree
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Crosby, Texas
    Dear Heidi,

Why am I NOT surprised that you buy gourmet coffee beans? HA!

Thanks kindly,
    GUNNER51

Dear sirs and madams,

Thieves are getting bolder and bolder! This just happened a few miles from me. Please lock your vehicles and do not leave guns in your car if they are not properly secured.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/thieves-target-dozens-of-vehicles-in-tomball-neighborhood

Do not arm the bad guys! If the gun gets used in a crime it will come back to YOU!

Thanks kindly,
    GUNNER51[/QUOT

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I am still trying to figure out what properly secured means. I doubt any normal attempts by joe public are good enough to stop someone from getting a gun out of a car.

So whose definition of enough do we use ? yours what makes you correct ? Its like all of the silly internet debates no one can define what it is gun owners are supposed to do above and beyond what the law says to keep the world safe from criminals.

If you really want to save the world then get into politics and get laws changed that will actually deter criminals from criminal activities and leave us law abiding citizens alone.

Dear sirs and madams,

Thieves are getting bolder and bolder! This just happened a few miles from me. Please lock your vehicles and do not leave guns in your car if they are not properly secured.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/thieves-target-dozens-of-vehicles-in-tomball-neighborhood

Do not arm the bad guys! If the gun gets used in a crime it will come back to YOU!

Thanks kindly,
    GUNNER51[/QUOT

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Shady,

Fwiw, a person could take a page out of USACIDC's technique to keep the criminals from stealing firearms that must be left in an unattended vehicle. = A .30 Caliber ammo can, bolted through the floor of the trunk/rear floorboard, with a hole drilled through the lid & locked with a good padlock will deter all but the most serious thief.
    (We found that to open the "cheap gun-locker" that it took a sledge hammer/cold chisel & considerable noise/time to break into the "gun-box".)

Presuming that you have a steel ammo can, the total cost, including the padlock, was <10.oo cash per POV.
    (All of our family's vehicles have "gun-boxes".)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    You don't think most guys busting into cars do not have a set of bolt cutters or now even a battery powered dremel ? not many padlocks can withstand a decent bolt cutter and its fairly silent. So about the only thing your can would stop is the same that locking the door would do.

I don't have a cheap gunlocker but I work in metal fabrication and can tell you the 16ga steel will not withstand a 12+" pry bar to move it enough to release the lock. And the pry bar would do wonders on a firmly mounted ammo can.

Shady,

Fwiw, a person could take a page out of USACIDC's technique to keep the criminals from stealing firearms that must be left in an unattended vehicle. = A .30 Caliber ammo can, bolted through the floor of the trunk/rear floorboard, with a hole drilled through the lid & locked with a good padlock will deter all but the most serious thief.
    (We found that to open the "cheap gun-locker) that it took a sledge hammer/cold chisel & considerable noise/time to break into the "gun-box".)

Presuming that you have a steel ammo can, the total cost, including the padlock, was <10.oo cash per POV.
    (All of our family's vehicles have "gun-boxes".)

yours, satx

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Alright I was curious what this thread is about so I clicked on view post since this guy is on my ignore list (best feature ever). FWIW, I actually have first hand experience in this topic. My firearms were stolen (out of my house) and then luckily they were recovered quickly after seeing who it was on my security tapes (the guy lived 3 houses down from me). They were used in a crime as well. No, I had no problems, the cops were mainly interested in talking gun stuff. Took me 3 weeks to get my guns back. Aside from my shit being stolen, not a bad experince at all.

Not sure where a jury or lawyer comes in as you aren't going to be charged for having your gun stolen?............whatever.

Anyways, back on the ignore list and I'm out.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You don't think most guys busting into cars do not have a set of bolt cutters or now even a battery powered dremel ? not many padlocks can withstand a decent bolt cutter and its fairly silent. .

As someone who has investigated car burglaries AND arrested burglars, no. Most guys breaking into cars have a screwdriver or a dent puller and most.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Shady,

NOPE. - In my 40 years of being "pinned to a badge" I've met few car burglars who even OWNS a big enough set of bolt-cutters that will defeat a GOOD padlock, much less carries one on a "rip-off mission".

The successful car burglar is "a quick in & out guy", generally LAZY, ill-equipped with tools & is often HIGH on dope.
    (Our "cheap gun-box" isn't designed to defeat a DETERMINED thief, though in nearly 4 decades the Command has lost exactly NO handguns out of one of our sedans, despite any number of our unmarked sedans being broken into & things like the tires/wheels being taken. = That should tell you that the boxes work.)

Btw, the "field expedient gun-box" was dreamed up by a SGT/E5, MOS 31B20 at Ft Gordon, GA.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Shady,

I'd like to see the fellow open a quality "circle lock" with that or any other technique that a car/house burglar is likely to own/have, including your 12" (or a 36") pry-bar.
    (Buy a CHEAP, poor-quality lock & you will likely, sooner or later, lose your stuff.)

Like I said, we got GIs to TRY to open a "gun-box" with ANY common/concealable tool & found that the successful "prescription" was attacking the hinges with a cold chisel/sledge-hammer & a LOT of NOISE & TIME.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I thought the point was a simple ammo can bolted to your car with a paddle lock was enough protection so now we have to move to a pick proof bust proof <LOL> specialty lock.

So even you a guy with a badge for 40 years <I am so sick of seeing you post that> cant say whats enough.

And I am sure any one with youtube access can watch multiple ways to pick a circle lock with a ball point pin

Shady,

I'd like to see the fellow open a quality "circle lock" with that or any other technique that a car/house burglar is likely to own/have, including your 12" (or a 36") pry-bar.
    (Buy a CHEAP, poor-quality lock & you will likely, sooner or later, lose your stuff.)

Like I said, we got GIs to TRY to open a "gun-box" with ANY common/concealable tool & found that the successful "prescription" was attacking the hinges with a cold chisel/sledge-hammer & a LOT of NOISE & TIME.

yours, satx

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Shady,

yours, satx
    It doesn't matter how nice the lock is when it is locked onto a sheet metal container.

Top Bottom