• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    So, I spend all day Saturday twisting rabbit wire on our fence to keep Houdini in. It worked Sat, sat night - it was pretty nice out - for a dog, all day Sunday and I let her in last night because of the cold. Let her out this morning with the intent of sticking her back inside at lunch - gone. 12:30, a lady rings the doorbell saying that they had the dog, but somebody else already had called animal control and wouldn't let her bring it to me. So, after work, I go to the dog hoosegow to pay my $80, but no - this time the animal control officer wrote me a citation also.

I have no problem with that, but even though my dog was in there about 10 days ago, he checks every box on the ticket - without checking any of them for the facts. "Failure to keep a current city license..." BS She's chipped (which was a law the city passed and rescinded because it made it expensive) On top of paying for that law-no-more, I already have a current city license. "Failure to have an animal vaccinated against rabies" BS^2 Her medical records are already with the city.

I have no issue with the "Failure to keep a dog under restraint" and some of the others, but I'm kind of pissed. Apparently I am guilty until proven innocent. Believe me, I don't want dogs running around loose, especially mine - I keep expecting to find some flattened fauna with black hair, blood, and my address and phone number on her collar around her neck. I also have to go in front of a judge in municipal court - and he sets the fees I have to pay. Not like "I was 15 over and it will be $75."

Two rants - #1, verify your facts, #2, dog is smarter than I am.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Electric cattle fence. Tractor supply or Gebo's. Worked for my escape artist. Don't buy the residential model. Get the honest to God version.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Electric cattle fence. Tractor supply or Gebo's. Worked for my escape artist. Don't buy the residential model. Get the honest to God version.

Where'd you put the wire? Maybe a foot or so from the fence and a foot or so from the ground. I'm talking about a 13 year old, supercharged, English Cocker I've had from a pup, who is a dove retrieving machine. I want a few more years out of her. The fence is from 4.5' to 6' high. I saw her climb up the damn thing to get out, after spending a couple of hours lying quietly next to me on the bed while I watched a movie. I can't figure her brain out - maybe that's why they call them bitches.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    So, I spend all day Saturday twisting rabbit wire on our fence to keep Houdini in. It worked Sat, sat night - it was pretty nice out - for a dog, all day Sunday and I let her in last night because of the cold. Let her out this morning with the intent of sticking her back inside at lunch - gone. 12:30, a lady rings the doorbell saying that they had the dog, but somebody else already had called animal control and wouldn't let her bring it to me. So, after work, I go to the dog hoosegow to pay my $80, but no - this time the animal control officer wrote me a citation also.

I have no problem with that, but even though my dog was in there about 10 days ago, he checks every box on the ticket - without checking any of them for the facts. "Failure to keep a current city license..." BS She's chipped (which was a law the city passed and rescinded because it made it expensive) On top of paying for that law-no-more, I already have a current city license. "Failure to have an animal vaccinated against rabies" BS^2 Her medical records are already with the city.

I have no issue with the "Failure to keep a dog under restraint" and some of the others, but I'm kind of pissed. Apparently I am guilty until proven innocent. Believe me, I don't want dogs running around loose, especially mine - I keep expecting to find some flattened fauna with black hair, blood, and my address and phone number on her collar around her neck. I also have to go in front of a judge in municipal court - and he sets the fees I have to pay. Not like "I was 15 over and it will be $75."

Two rants - #1, verify your facts, #2, dog is smarter than I am.

If you have the time you should file a complaint and take it to the city council. They are counting on, much like the police, that you will be a good boy and pay your tax. If you don't they will make your life miserable and draw it out as long as possible to teach you your lesson.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Damn.
    That sucks. I sure know the feeling. 'Cept for the citation part.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It is very apparent that you have much more patients than I do.

I think Tractor Supply sells an electric fence made for dogs. They work well.

When I used one I put it about three feet up on isolators mounted to the fence.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Where'd you put the wire? Maybe a foot or so from the fence and a foot or so from the ground. I'm talking about a 13 year old, supercharged, English Cocker I've had from a pup, who is a dove retrieving machine. I want a few more years out of her. The fence is from 4.5' to 6' high. I saw her climb up the damn thing to get out, after spending a couple of hours lying quietly next to me on the bed while I watched a movie. I can't figure her brain out - maybe that's why they call them bitches.

Mounted it about a foot up on 6" isolators. Don't buy the pet one, it's a waste of time. It won't hurt her, will probably piss her off the first time.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Thanks for the input gentlemen (well, some of you are gentlemen anyway.) The crazy thing is that her pup, who is ~5 years old now has never gotten out of our yard. I'm about 99% sure shithead is climbing the fence. I made it out of cattle panels and quickly found out she could get through. I've seen her climb up 3' and sneak through an opening - before I thought I shut that avenue down - or so I thought.

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    If she climbs, put the electric wire about a foot down from the top on insulators, that will keep her from going up and over. try to keep an eye out though one of mine got a paw caught in the hurricane wire, not sure if it was the shock or hanging from her paw for a minute while I got to her. if she jumps you have to put it inside the fence so that it interrupt the spring.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Gate is gonna ba a problem too.
    I'm trying to think through that.
    (Electric fence related)

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    I twisted a loop in the wire then used a piece of hose on the part that went around the metal post to hold tension. then just used a regular gate handle and length of wire to bridge.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I ran mine about a foot off the ground. Used a regular electric fence handle to cover the gate part.
    13e336762cc09a6092e3004093b4ac64.jpg

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I remember we had an escape artist dog when I was a kid. Grandpops did the electric fence and that worked. After a while, the dog learned and the fence could actually be turned off.
    No doubt. After the first two times he got hit, for the rest of his life my rottie wouldn't go near a bare piece of electric fence wire

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    No doubt. After the first two times he got hit, for the rest of his life my rottie wouldn't go near a bare piece of electric fence wire

That's what I'm hoping for. FIL gave me a 6' tall, 10' long, 4' wide kennel probably 20 years ago. I lined the bottom of it with the rabbit wire so she couldn't dig out - then the neighbors started complaining that she howled all day, which I'm sure were true. Put a bark collar on her, cranked it up, but I think the battery died.

Top Bottom