APOD Firearms

Does anyone watch the Personal Defense show?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I don't remember what channel it comes on but it is on Thursday nights on one of those random sports channels.

Anyways this Thursday's episode was about practicing the hard stuff or the unfun stuff.

It did a lot of focus on how would you draw your weapon from your holster would your draw arm be injured?

Shooting with your weak arm.

Reloading one armed with your weak arm (this was interesting).

Clearing a jam one armed with your weak arm, (hell this was interesting regardless if you had to do it weak or strong arm)

Then it went into loading a revolver one handed when an arm was wounded.

And finally uncomfortable shooting from different laying positions on the ground if you trip, fall, or just can't walk.

It was talking about practicing these a blue gun.

Anybody walked through any of these scenarios?
    Guns International

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    Yeah I watch it every week, along with the other show in the locked n' loaded lineup, there all good shows, sometimes it stuff u already know, but alot of it is really informative

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    Part of our qualification course of fire is "strong" hand only draw, fire, and reload. There is also "weak" hand only draw, fire, and reload. You are allowed to use whatever method you choose, as long as the range guys don't think it is unsafe.

I''ve got a runner's build (read: skinny), so weak hand draw is no problem for me... some of the guys with spare tires struggle a little.

Here's how I reload one handed... shoot until the slide locks back, then drop empty mag. Clamp slide between my knees (muzzle down pointed at ground, mag well pointed down range). Seat new mag and push pistol down to release slide stop. Back in the game. I like this method because it doesn't muzzle sweep anybody else on the line or any of my body parts. Plus, I've got the pistol in front of me to see what's going on with the reload and can keep an eye down range where the threat is.

I've never even thought about reloading a revolver one-handed... now you've got me worried!

-Randy

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Part of our qualification course of fire is "strong" hand only draw, fire, and reload. There is also "weak" hand only draw, fire, and reload. You are allowed to use whatever method you choose, as long as the range guys don't think it is unsafe.

I''ve got a runner's build (read: skinny), so weak hand draw is no problem for me... some of the guys with spare tires struggle a little.

Here's how I reload one handed... shoot until the slide locks back, then drop empty mag. Clamp slide between my knees (muzzle down pointed at ground, mag well pointed down range). Seat new mag and push pistol down to release slide stop. Back in the game. I like this method because it doesn't muzzle sweep anybody else on the line or any of my body parts. Plus, I've got the pistol in front of me to see what's going on with the reload and can keep an eye down range where the threat is.

I've never even thought about reloading a revolver one-handed... now you've got me worried!

-Randy

The loading a revolver one handed was actually not as surprising as some of the things they were doing with a 1911.

He just flips the cylinder out and barrel down the front of his pants and the cylinder on the outside (I can only imagine if you've just emptied your cylinder how hot this could be on certain elements). Then he took his speedloader, dropped it in, and then drew again.

I like the idea of doing it in between your knees. They shower doing it in a pocket and it required a couple extra steps. I'm a skinny guy too and I carry at 2 o'clock so reaching mine with my weak arm is not a problem at all. One of the tips they did show for the fellas that carry OWB and have a little something that gets in the way is to tug on the belt buckle and basically bring the gun closer to you...

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Anybody walked through any of these scenarios?

Yep. Some but not everything.

I have more recently spent time drawing my backup gun (in duty uniform) from multiple positions. I found out how my uniform could get in the way in certain positions.
    Once you have endlessly punched paper and have your draw down, practice all of the alternate positions. Since you have experience in those positions, when it comes time to use them you will probably save yourself a few seconds compared to if you had not tried them.

The time for figuring out how you are going to fire from the rollover prone or from your back, is not in the middle of a lethal encounter!

Remember the training axiom, "sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield".

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Yep. Some but not everything.

I have more recently spent time drawing my backup gun (in duty uniform) from multiple positions. I found out how my uniform could get in the way in certain positions.
    Once you have endlessly punched paper and have your draw down, practice all of the alternate positions. Since you have experience in those positions, when it comes time to use them you will probably save yourself a few seconds compared to if you had not tried them.

The time for figuring out how you are going to fire from the rollover prone or from your back, is not in the middle of a lethal encounter!

Remember the training axiom, "sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield".

I love your MANTRA... definitely something we can all live by...

When I was watching the guy shoot from the prone position the entire time I was thinking that with adrenaline pumping and sweeping, etc and then the fuzziness of a distant target if you had not practiced this it would be helluva easy to pop a round in your foot... JMHO

The other thing some chick came on and talked about was that most of us do our reloads for a pistol at our belt buckle, but if we create a habit of doing it in our primary zone (the zone where you are most dexterous and strongest between your shoulders, your chin and your belly button, about 6 inches from your body) then during the heat of a situation you will go to this spot... The advantage is if you need to clear a jam or do something that requires your vision you can give it to the weapon as well as assess the situation never taking your eyes off the area...

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Those are good things to practice. Basically, ask yourself, how will I run my gun if I become injured? How will I run my gun if I lose the use of either my right or left arm? How will I clear a failure to feed one-handed? How will I clear a double feed one-handed? How will I reload one-handed? Answer those questions and others, then practice it and you will be better prepared.

Just fyi, apparently there is a lot of BS on that show as well, so take everything with a grain.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Just fyi, apparently there is a lot of BS on that show as well, so take everything with a grain.

Oh I've watched a few episodes and this was the first I actually thought was worth a damn to mention... HAHAHA The world is full of bullshit it just takes a little weeding out so that we can find the legit information...

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    most of us do our reloads for a pistol at our belt buckle, but if we create a habit of doing it in our primary zone (the zone where you are most dexterous and strongest between your shoulders, your chin and your belly button, about 6 inches from your body) then during the heat of a situation you will go to this spot... The advantage is if you need to clear a jam or do something that requires your vision you can give it to the weapon as well as assess the situation never taking your eyes off the area...

I definitely am a strong proponent of doing reloads where you are still in the fight. We call it in our "work space", meaning chest to shoulder height so you can still scan in front and look for more threats or continue to survey your downed opponent.
    Something which helped me break my waist high level of reloading was repetition at shoulder height. I got to where I felt very comfortable reloading with my eyes closed. This gave me confidence and reduced my habit of looking at my gun to reload.
    If you train enough and are competent and comfortable with your battle gear, you do not need to look at your gun.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    If you train enough and are competent and comfortable with your battle gear, you do not need to look at your gun.
    If we could come up with another word to live by that starts with C we could make a slogan that is the three C's of gun fight preparation... Competency, Comfort, Caution perhaps?

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    If we could come up with another word to live by that starts with C we could make a slogan that is the three C's of gun fight preparation... Competency, Comfort, Caution perhaps?

Ha, yeah the 3 C's would be fantastic. Lets go with competent, comfortable and cool?
    Or crisp?

I was not trying to be an amateur rapper-just noticed it when you pointed it out.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom