• ...and so much more!
  • Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    So I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 174k on the clock no death wobble, but when going over speed bumps my right fron side seems to dive a little more than usual was told control arm? Been kinda looking at bushing kits on places like Summit and Jegs was wondering anybody had gone to Neoprene bushings on their Dodge and if so what did you think?
    Gun Zone Deals

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Since you said "dive more", what's the condition of your shocks?

I agree on new bushings for the front end will help overall feel. Installed a Hyperflex set on my Chevy back when. Use some good lube on the bushing when you assemble to stave off squeakies.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Probably original I know they need replacement I'm looking at the Bilstein 5160 series

2wd or 4? I take it you'll be able to tune those a little bit for the ride you want?

I'm using the 5100s on my Cummins 4wd 2500. They are firm and work better soaking up bumps at speed, the truck stays in better control and doesn't get as squirrelly.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You may notice a little more NVH with harder bushings. The reason rubber gets used is to dampen sounds and soak up vibrations and impacts. YMMV on that one.

How do you mean, "dive"? Is the front suspension compressing, rebounding and then compressing excessively afterwards? That would point to worn shocks. You don't have to go crazy with shocks, just get something good quality. I had Ranchos on my Bronco, and hated them. They didn't damp worth a damn. Put KYB GR2 shocks on it, everything was great.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Best way to describe it as I can feel the right front side compress a little more I agree it points towards shocks I'm looking at this as a overall upgrade as the truck is to my knowledge original besides the power train parts I've replaced.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ok. I doubt your control arms are causing much trouble. (I heard "control arm" and thought of the IFS old school A-arm. Those don't really dive, they rattle). More than likely its your shocks.

Dodge uses a four-link coil spring system on the front of these. They call the arms that locate the axle and control pinion angle "control arms", even though they're not what you typically think of as having that name.

It's like a scaled-up version of the suspension used on the front of a TJ Wrangler or a Cherokee.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Dodge uses a four-link coil spring system on the front of these. They call the arms that locate the axle and control pinion angle "control arms", even though they're not what you typically think of as having that name.

I know, I have one. I don't think of them as control arms though. I always think back to my Chevy Aarms when I hear control arms.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I miss the old Chevy leaf spring solid axle I grew up with lol

haha What'd kinda chevy? The Ramcharger I drove in HS was front leaf sprung...springed..sprang. That was a tank! But this coil spring stuff ain't too bad guess. Hard to compare that truck and this truck since the technology & creature comforts are different. I guess 20yrs ought to do that.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    y8enuqe2.jpg

uhejy6e8.jpg

This kinda Tank lol

Top Bottom