• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I just realized there might be an added benefit of open carry. With all of the Lefties moving to Texas (and unaware of our rights) perhaps the sight of open carry folks, might induce a heart attack or stroke.

you reminded me about an encounter I had with some Californians that took up residence and bought one of my favorite little convenience stores in the middle of no-where near the Oregon coast years ago.

My cousin and I used to go trout and salmon fishing quite often on this river that flowed from the coast range into the bay nearest where I lived. River had 28 miles of legal fishable water (a shit-ton of water is closed in Oregon to all fishing of any kind) - about 20 river & highway (highway paralleled the river all the way down from the top of the divide to the coast, pretty much) miles inland, there was this little convenience store. Mom & pop deal. Last working payphone I personally knew of in NW Oregon.

Anyway - one afternoon after many hours of wade fishing and hiking the banks, we popped in to the little store to grab some lunch, they had a hot case with typical convenience store fare and a hot meal sounded great. Neither of us stripped out of our waders (most fisherman didn't, we just tried to make sure the boots were dry before walking in) and we were both open carrying. I think at the time I was toting a Glock 21 or a Glock 17, cousin was toting a CZ-75 full size.

Unbeknownst to us, the ownership had changed hands recently, and these two women from some fuckin' place in Cali were now owner-operators. We get up to he check out with our stuff, the lady realizes we've got hardware. Her eyes get big, her voice kind of goes up and she snorts "What, are you gonna shoot the fish?" I said "No, not unless they try to stab me, its more for the tweakers that like to prowl this highway" - which shut her up. That store folded not long after - either they sucked at running literally the only store for about 25 miles in any direction, or they gave up on the locals. Was kinda bummed either way, because that meant we had to drive aaall the damn way into the town of Tillamook to get lunch if we didn't bring our own, or we wanted hot food and didn't want a sit-down meal (there was a lovely little diner a few miles down the road from the store right on the water)

That's the only "negative" OC experience I've ever had, and for a year before I got around to getting my CHL, I open carried everywhere from my 21st birthday on. I open carried all he time fishing, camping, hiking, or of course hunting. Open carried on days when I just didn't feel like throwing on a shirt. I found if you're dressed alright and have a positive vibe, people either don't "see" the gun, or they don't see you as a danger, or just assume you're a cop.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    you reminded me about an encounter I had with some Californians that took up residence and bought one of my favorite little convenience stores in the middle of no-where near the Oregon coast years ago.

My cousin and I used to go trout and salmon fishing quite often on this river that flowed from the coast range into the bay nearest where I lived. River had 28 miles of legal fishable water (a shit-ton of water is closed in Oregon to all fishing of any kind) - about 20 river & highway (highway paralleled the river all the way down from the top of the divide to the coast, pretty much) miles inland, there was this little convenience store. Mom & pop deal. Last working payphone I personally knew of in NW Oregon.

Anyway - one afternoon after many hours of wade fishing and hiking the banks, we popped in to the little store to grab some lunch, they had a hot case with typical convenience store fare and a hot meal sounded great. Neither of us stripped out of our waders (most fisherman didn't, we just tried to make sure the boots were dry before walking in) and we were both open carrying. I think at the time I was toting a Glock 21 or a Glock 17, cousin was toting a CZ-75 full size.

Unbeknownst to us, the ownership had changed hands recently, and these two women from some fuckin' place in Cali were now owner-operators. We get up to he check out with our stuff, the lady realizes we've got hardware. Her eyes get big, her voice kind of goes up and she snorts "What, are you gonna shoot the fish?" I said "No, not unless they try to stab me, its more for the tweakers that like to prowl this highway" - which shut her up. That store folded not long after - either they sucked at running literally the only store for about 25 miles in any direction, or they gave up on the locals. Was kinda bummed either way, because that meant we had to drive aaall the damn way into the town of Tillamook to get lunch if we didn't bring our own, or we wanted hot food and didn't want a sit-down meal (there was a lovely little diner a few miles down the road from the store right on the water)

That's the only "negative" OC experience I've ever had, and for a year before I got around to getting my CHL, I open carried everywhere from my 21st birthday on. I open carried all he time fishing, camping, hiking, or of course hunting. Open carried on days when I just didn't feel like throwing on a shirt. I found if you're dressed alright and have a positive vibe, people either don't "see" the gun, or they don't see you as a danger, or just assume you're a cop.
    Yeah sounds about right. I remember one time in Albany a younger fellow walked into a Carl’s Jr. and open carried a full size revolver. Employees and some customers started whispering and giving him dirty looks. I laughed and when they turned and looked at me I gave the guy a big ol thumbs up, smile, and nod of encouragement.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Yeah sounds about right. I remember one time in Albany a younger fellow walked into a Carl’s Jr. and open carried a full size revolver. Employees and some customers started whispering and giving him dirty looks. I laughed and when they turned and looked at me I gave the guy a big ol thumbs up, smile, and nod of encouragement.

Was that the CJ's right off I-5 in north Albany, or the one closer to the core of the city? I'd carried open in the one right off I-5 a few times without observing such behavior.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

To be "Biden approved", doesn't it mean that we citizens all have to start carrying a DOUBLE-BARREL SHOTGUN everywhere??

What an UTTER DUNCE is "LOONY JOE" Biden. - IF he is actually sworn in as POTUS, you can say, "ADIOS" to me & my family, as we've been planning to retire OCONUS anyway.
    (All that him as the possible POTUS will do is speed up our departure.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom