Do you guys like Kel-Tec? My wife wants a PCC and I was contemplating their folding 9mm, but I’ll go with a better option if one is recommended.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShmeatDealer

World-Class Hunter
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2024
    Canyon, TX, USA
    Title says it all. My wife shot her friend’s Hi-Point (I know, grody) 9mm PCC at her lady’s gun club range day last week and said that she really wants a similar product. I’m not entirely sold on the idea, but her birthday is approaching and she seems to be ecstatic about it.

You guys know a primo option or is the kel-tec nice?

justmax

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have owned every version of the sub 2000 folding rifle since the days when you could buy another grip assembly for $55 to change magazine compatibility. Currently, I have the latest generation (I think) for the Glock 19 with the threaded muzzle I’ve never had a problem with any of them that I did not cause.
    Metal receiver 9 mm in Glock and a 40 caliber in Glock in a non-humidity proof case. One of the bolts actually rusted shut. I sent them both back to Caltech and for $100. They totally refurbished both of them and returned them to me as new.

I’ve also had the Ruger PCC. The Ruger seem to be more accurate, but I believe it was simply because of the configuration of the rifle not the rifle itself. They both performed well off sandbags at the range.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    all the BS on the internet about KelTec may have been true 20 years ago. I have a ton of the new stuff they have been putting out and have had no issues I could not resolve myself and those were few and far between.

Idiots hold on to the past and miss out on all the good stuff that has been developed.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    all the BS on the internet about KelTec may have been true 20 years ago. I have a ton of the new stuff they have been putting out and have had no issues I could not resolve myself and those were few and far between.

Idiots hold on to the past and miss out on all the good stuff that has been developed.

I think you're right about that. But the only Kel-Tec I have ever owned, a P3AT, is one I still own because I deem my only option is to either use it as a paperweight or destroy it. I'd never sell a known lemon. Thing went back to Kel-Tec two different times--both at my FedEx shipping expense--and twice it was returned as "fixed." It wasn't, either time. Never got more than about two dozen rounds in total through that thing because of firing pin issues. Gun was simply too inexpensive to start with to justify me spending any more money--in shipping or 3rd-party gunsmithing--to try to get it so that it would actually do its one job and send projectiles out the muzzle.

So, yeah. Once burned and all...and it was almost 20 years ago. I'm certainly an idiot, just ask any of my friends, but that experience left me with no hankering to take a chance at buying Kel-Tec again. Kel-Tec products may be absolutely stellar now, but there are always other options. I don't go back to the restaurant where I got food poisoning.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

I've got a PF9 in my pocket right now. It has only ever failed me with Monarch range ammo - the primers were dented but not detonated. Every other round I've fed it (particularly my SD ammo) has worked flawlessly, and it's surprisingly accurate for a subcompact. After my friend tried it he compared the recoil to catching a sledgehammer, but it's a super-light polymer subcompact so it stands to reason that it's mostly your hand that'll absorb the recoil.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I’ve had the Kel-Tec folders and they are easy to pack and fairly accurate. The 2-3 I’ve owned over -the-years were dependable, but I seem to remember them being difficult to clean.

I opted to go with the Beretta carbine and haven’t looked back. To me, it’s perfect in size and it uses the same mags as my 92’s. I bought it when prices were still reasonable.

In fairness, I’ve never tried the Ruger PCC.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I think you're right about that. But the only Kel-Tec I have ever owned, a P3AT, is one I still own because I deem my only option is to either use it as a paperweight or destroy it. I'd never sell a known lemon. Thing went back to Kel-Tec two different times--both at my FedEx shipping expense--and twice it was returned as "fixed." It wasn't, either time. Never got more than about two dozen rounds in total through that thing because of firing pin issues. Gun was simply too inexpensive to start with to justify me spending any more money--in shipping or 3rd-party gunsmithing--to try to get it so that it would actually do its one job and send projectiles out the muzzle.

So, yeah. Once burned and all...and it was almost 20 years ago. I'm certainly an idiot, just ask any of my friends, but that experience left me with no hankering to take a chance at buying Kel-Tec again. Kel-Tec products may be absolutely stellar now, but there are always other options. I don't go back to the restaurant where I got food poisoning.

I am glad for you.

All the new stuff they put out is like gold plated unobtainium so one less person I have to fight to get hold of it :)

Top Bottom