Patriot Mobile

Do not joke about your chili ingredients...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    When asked about his chili or gumbo ingredients, my former manager in Houston would say he used whatever was available.
    Was he from China? That seems to Be their mentality.
    PS, someone needs to update the location in their profile to be more forward looking. Just sayin.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    My chili, or chili with beans, or not hot dog topping, recipes are posted several places.

The more meats the better. Lots of spicy veggies and all the fat from everything goes into the chili pot.

I like to add thinly sliced sausage links, instead of cubed meats, to my chili along with ground beef, ground sausage, sweet sausage and even ittalian sausage.

As always season to taste but first make sure the Jalapeños are in there along with the garlic and Lots of red onion. Then add the chili seasonings and finally chili powder and let cook for a few hours.

You need Lots of corn bread of some variety and a fork. Won't be no need for any spoons.
    Ever make chili-corn bread pie?

Where are you getting your cats?

Oh, it was a joke!

The easiest way to get a pride of cats is to leave empty cardboard boxes sitting outside.
    I'm not sure if it's legal to bait them with cat treats...

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    I’m working on chili with no tomatoes. My daughter is allergic. It is a challenge but I’m getting close. Ground chilis, paprika and chili powder plus all the other usual stuff. And some sugar to counter the bitterness of the ground chilis. Still a experiment

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Was he from China? That seems to Be their mentality.
    PS, someone needs to update the location in their profile to be more forward looking. Just sayin.
    Other than a year in Vietnam he has spent his life in Houston. Played college football for Houston before becoming a Marine.

PS - Finally took time to update my profile and order new QSL cards. Getting a TX DL won't be that quick!

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I’m working on chili with no tomatoes. My daughter is allergic. It is a challenge but I’m getting close. Ground chilis, paprika and chili powder plus all the other usual stuff. And some sugar to counter the bitterness of the ground chilis. Still a experiment
    Look at Meat Church. (meatchurch.com) They have a recipe for Texas Red that has no tomatoes.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Decades back, I was taught to cook ’’Real West Texas Chili’’ by the late R. Paul Ricker, Son of the U of Texas ‘’Santa Rita #1’’ icon, Rupert Ricker.

The rules were rigid. IIRC, the meats were 4 parts lean beef & 1 part young goat; diced not ‘’ground’’.

The grease was freshly rendered beef suet. At least half the meat was to be ‘’browned’’ in the suet FIRST.

Freshly ground chili colorado was needed.

Any beans were to be kept separate during cooking and were served in a different bowl.

No tomato of any kind was allowed.

Paul used a bit of ‘’Magi’’ & 1 tbsp flour or mole’. (Jar roux is the same thing and is easier to find.)

Onions, of course. Garlic was variable.

Way back in the late 1970’s or early 1980’s, Texas Monthly magazine ran an article on ‘’Things which DON’T go into real Chili’’.

leVieux

Last edited:

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    <>

Decades back, I was taught to cook ’’Real West Texas Chili’’ by the late R. Paul Ricker, Son of the U of Texas ‘’Santa Rita #1’’ icon, Rupert Ricker.

The rules were rigid. IIRC, the meats were 4 parts lean beef & 1 part young goat; diced not ‘’ground’’.

The grease was freshly rendered beef suet.

Freshly ground chili colorado was needed.

Any beans were to be kept separate during cooking and were served in a different bowl.

No tomato of any kind was allowed.

Paul used a bit of ‘’Magi’’ & 1 tbsp flour or mole’.

Onions, of course. Garlic was variable.

Way back in the late 1970’s or early 1980’s, Texas Monthly magazine ran an article on ‘’Things which DON’T go into real Chili’’.

leVieux
    So, where is the recipe?
    Are you going to share it or just tease?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    So, where is the recipe?
    Are you going to share it or just tease?
    >
    Sadly, it was in ‘’Paul’s Four Letter Word Cookbook’’, my only copy was borrowed-away years back.

I recall that Paul, who grew up on a cattle ranch in Reagan County, always used cast Iron Dutch ovens and let the pot sit stovetop overnight to cool.

Our new computer arrives on Wednesday & I’ll look for a recipe thern.

Last edited:

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Is anyone willing to share their chili recipes here?
    fe106953-81f3-4009-8c5c-64975f1d2a83_1.1f8a1008a03c2bd216745ef1135ffe14.jpeg.jpg

Top Bottom