• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Is there a way I can find out before his court date? As the person prosecuting the case?
    For Class C stuff youwill usually have an opportunity to meet with the City Attorney on your court date for a few moments. You can explain the circumstances and work something out right then in most cases.
    Texas SOT

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Sure you can find out. Just call up whoever issued the ticket and ask them for the number of the City Attorney or DA who is prosecuting the case. For the most part they try and force people to deal with them on the day of their hearing. If worse comes to worse, show up for the initial hearing, plea not guilty, and request a jury trial. This ought to buy you additional time to strike up a deal with the City Attorney/DA. If not, show up the day of your next hearing and observe whats happening. In Dallas when I did this for myself, I quickly realized there 300 people there that day for jury trials. So I told myself, there is no way in hell the DA would chose me over some of these other idiots. Sure enough, after a wait of a few hours, they came in and released almost 90% of the people who plead not guilty and demanded a jury trial(either because they couldnt get the officer there testify or b/c it wasnt worth it). I have been to traffic court twice in Houston and pretty much the same story.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Slightly off topic, but on that Jeep - check the metal ports coming off of the radiator for corrosion. I used to own a Jeep and some of the metalic components of the radiator became corroded and the metal took on a consistency of paper and it began to leak antifreeze which meant my Jeep had no coolant and it began to overheat. Just a thought.

As to the main topic - I wouldn't bother with costly lawyer fees and the like. He's obviously not the sort of person that does this on a regular basis by your own admission and still a minor. Making mistakes when you're still a kid is nothing more than a lesson that prevents you from making the same mistake when you're an adult. It's okay to mess up when you're young so long as you learn something from it. :)

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I agree - skip the attorney and sit down w/the DA. I wouldn't worry much about doing it in advance - generally speaking, if you go in there hat in hand (or your son does with you at his side), he'll likely chuckle to himself, remember how stupid HE was as a kid, and realize that there's not much point in pushing the issue. He'll likely offer to downgrade the charges. If he doesn't, then suggest it to him by asking if your son can plead "Guilty by Youthful Ignorance" and then laugh lightly. Bring the letters, etc., bring his grades (if they're even halfway decent) - anything to show that your son is REALLY a good kid, just guilty of making a dumb choice that he'll NEVER repeat. Point out to the DA that the fines, etc., are going to be paid by your son, NOT by you - because you DO believe in there being consequences. Suggest that Community Service might be a more appropriate consequence.
    Bottom line is this - these guys spend their days listening to folks denying their guilt, trying to blame everyone BUT themselves - it's a breath of Fresh Air when they have someone coming in, saying "Mea Culpa", and simply asking for mercy. Our local county is known for being pretty harsh on speeders - coupla years ago, Schoolmarm got tagged in her new Caddy CTS for like 90 in a 65. Did a nice letter and faxed it over in advance, basically saying "I'm sorry", and pointing out that she was a teacher of many years with direct family in LE, and that she simply messed up by not paying attention as she should have been. They dropped the speeding down to like 75, gave her a hundred-dollar fine and 60 days deferred adjudication.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I agree - skip the attorney and sit down w/the DA. I wouldn't worry much about doing it in advance - generally speaking, if you go in there hat in hand (or your son does with you at his side), he'll likely chuckle to himself, remember how stupid HE was as a kid, and realize that there's not much point in pushing the issue. He'll likely offer to downgrade the charges. If he doesn't, then suggest it to him by asking if your son can plead "Guilty by Youthful Ignorance" and then laugh lightly. Bring the letters, etc., bring his grades (if they're even halfway decent) - anything to show that your son is REALLY a good kid, just guilty of making a dumb choice that he'll NEVER repeat. Point out to the DA that the fines, etc., are going to be paid by your son, NOT by you - because you DO believe in there being consequences. Suggest that Community Service might be a more appropriate consequence.
    Bottom line is this - these guys spend their days listening to folks denying their guilt, trying to blame everyone BUT themselves - it's a breath of Fresh Air when they have someone coming in, saying "Mea Culpa", and simply asking for mercy. Our local county is known for being pretty harsh on speeders - coupla years ago, Schoolmarm got tagged in her new Caddy CTS for like 90 in a 65. Did a nice letter and faxed it over in advance, basically saying "I'm sorry", and pointing out that she was a teacher of many years with direct family in LE, and that she simply messed up by not paying attention as she should have been. They dropped the speeding down to like 75, gave her a hundred-dollar fine and 60 days deferred adjudication.

Super advice Texas Redneck. This +100...

Believe me, the DA has bigger fish to fry than your son who goofed up. Last time I went to traffic court, there were people in there busted for going 100+ on a motorcycle, etc.(which was one of the cases the DA ended up taking to jury trial).

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

".....................there were people in there busted for going 100+ on a motorcycle, etc.(which was one of the cases the DA ended up taking to jury trial)."

The guy on the motorcycle was probably just drying off his fairings! IBTL

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX

".....................there were people in there busted for going 100+ on a motorcycle, etc.(which was one of the cases the DA ended up taking to jury trial)."

The guy on the motorcycle was probably just drying off his fairings! IBTL

Lmao...I've been that guy.. I just didn't get caught..

Top Bottom