• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Ok, so my 16 yr old was meeting me yesterday for a doc appt after school. On his way to the apt his jeep began overheating (been having this problem for a while now) so he pulls off the road. In an attempt to get it under some shade he pulls off a few dozen yards off to get under some trees to pop the hood and let it cool down. He is along side RR tracks. After it cools down a little he proceeds to pull forward instead of going back the way he came, realizing can't go any farther due to a large ditch, he proceeds to cross the tracks, gets the jeep stuck on the tracks about a 100 yards from the road. Needless to say by the time I arrive I am furious. 2 police officers, and 6 metro guys, and we can't clear the tracks. They call in a tow truck to pull it off the tracks. After holding up trains for close to 2 hours, we are finally on our way. $185 tow charge, a ticket for parking on the tracks, and who knows what kind of bill from the metro people, I was fit ti be tied. Now, he is normally more responsible than this, so just another reason I was Hella pissed. My question is for law enforcement, and any attorneys on the board. Do I need to hire an attorney when we go to court? I believe this is a class C violation, and he is 16, so I don't want one stupid mistake to haunt his record. Any chance for community service, or whatever? Gonna get a couple of his teachers to write letters on his behalf, one of which is a vertern APD officer. Anything else I should do. Isnit too late to drowned them at birth? That was a joke, as he knows how to swim now...

TIA for any help...
    Guns International

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Judges are generally pretty understanding as long as parent and child acknowledge the mistake and agree to make things right. I don't think a lawyer will change the outcome. The bill from metro will be separate civil issue.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    You're in Williamson County. If you don't want the class C on his record, I would get an attorney.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    You're in Williamson County. If you don't want the class C on his record, I would get an attorney.

My daughter had her traffic ticket dismissed by participating in Teen Court. It didn't cost any money, but she had to do community service imposed by jury of her peers (teens on a power trip). Upon completion, she had no record of the event on her driving record. Ask if his high school has Teen Court, most do.

Tatsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Arlington, TX
    No, you dont need an attorney.
    A. Its a Class C
    B. Its a non moving violation
    C. He is only 16
    I would not sweat it too much. Just pay the fine and go opn with your life.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Agree with the others. Traffic tickets are nothing, unless he really piles them up.

Dont be too hard on him. Part of growing up is doing dumb stuff. If he has a job he can pay all fines and fees. If he does not have a job, well he should now.

Thank goodness no one was hurt.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Seeing as how both my "step-daughters" are out of the house now, that is similar to the story the youngest one gave me about how she bent a rim....

Not really similar, but it was the best "story" she could come up with to try to keep herslf out of trouble in her first car at 16.

Claimed she was run off the road by a truck in a turn, in reality she was trying to do a "burnout" by putting the car in neutral, giving it alot of gas, & then slamming it into drive.
    Shot her clean across the intersection & into & over the curb across the street.....tricked her into "fessing up".

I sold that car shortly thereafter......

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Thanks for he responses, I'm not too worked up, but his driving privileges have been suspended by me. The plan thus far is to gather a couple of letters and ask for mercy from he judge. He does have a job, and he will be paying all fines and fees on his own. Hard lesson, but hopefully one that will serve him well. I must admit I am getting tired of being a parent! LOL..2 more years...2 more years.. Not that it will be over by any stretch...

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    As an attorney, I doubt you would need to hire an attorney with these facts(But Williamson County is VERY aggressive as someone else pointed out). Skip all this advice about "talking to the judge", etc., that's not accurate. Find the City Attorney or whoever is PROSECUTING the case and pitch your deal/sob story to them. Usually they are pretty understanding and more than willing to work out a deal. They may also be able to put in a good word with Metro for you and save you some restitution.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Thanks for he responses, I'm not too worked up, but his driving privileges have been suspended by me. The plan thus far is to gather a couple of letters and ask for mercy from he judge. He does have a job, and he will be paying all fines and fees on his own. Hard lesson, but hopefully one that will serve him well. I must admit I am getting tired of being a parent! LOL..2 more years...2 more years.. Not that it will be over by any stretch...[/QUOTE]

Very accurate ...............

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thanks for he responses, I'm not too worked up, but his driving privileges have been suspended by me. The plan thus far is to gather a couple of letters and ask for mercy from he judge. He does have a job, and he will be paying all fines and fees on his own. Hard lesson, but hopefully one that will serve him well. I must admit I am getting tired of being a parent! LOL..2 more years...2 more years.. Not that it will be over by any stretch...[/QUOTE]

Very accurate ...............

+ a Bazillion!

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I was just thinking jury trial.
    He held up a train? How many hours have trains held us all up?
    They won't find a jury that will convict him.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    As an attorney, I doubt you would need to hire an attorney with these facts(But Williamson County is VERY aggressive as someone else pointed out). Skip all this advice about "talking to the judge", etc., that's not accurate. Find the City Attorney or whoever is PROSECUTING the case and pitch your deal/sob story to them. Usually they are pretty understanding and more than willing to work out a deal. They may also be able to put in a good word with Metro for you and save you some restitution.

Is there a way I can find out before his court date? As the person prosecuting the case?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Grendor
    Top Bottom