• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dermako

Semi-Retired of that
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    Had a lot of errands to do yesterday and was kinda all over southwest metroplex (DFW).
    I saw diesel prices just below $3.00 at numerous places.
    Think the highest I saw was $3.05.
    I don’t drive the diesel trucks much anymore so don’t pay that much attention to prices but don’t remember it being that cheap in along time.
    Regardless, think both of them need be topped off.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Fuel prices are dropping for the election, but don't forget.
    biden-i-did-that-stickers.jpg

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Had a lot of errands to do yesterday and was kinda all over southwest metroplex (DFW).
    I saw diesel prices just below $3.00 at numerous places.
    Think the highest I saw was $3.05.
    I don’t drive the diesel trucks much anymore so don’t pay that much attention to prices but don’t remember it being that cheap in along time.
    Regardless, think both of them need be topped off.
    I filled up at Murphy's today for $2.92 per gal

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I remember when diesel fuel was cheaper than gasoline.
    I paid .11 cents per gallon for diesel over in Mexico back in the late 70s.
    Use to piss me off to no end when I was paying 4.50 plus per gallon in the US and the local El Paso refinery was shipping truck load after truck load to Juarez and it was selling for 2.00 to 2.20 in Mexico. Same diesel that was refined here locally in the US. Fuel prices are a scam.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Diesel prices bounce up and down all the time, sometimes 20-30¢ a gallon overnight!

I'll enjoy the temporary relief, but won't forget how much higher diesel will go if I don't cast the right vote in November!

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I remember when diesels were simple, reliable work horses, too bad those days are gone
    With the end of Chevron Deference, I expect a class action suit or few against the EPA and the return of Diesel reliability. The ridiculous emissions standards imposed in Diesels since the '90s weren't based on environmental science, they were based on the whims of bureaucrats and the obviously false belief that elemental carbon is harmful to carbon-based lifeforms.

Eli

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I was paying 4.50 plus per gallon in the US and the local El Paso refinery was shipping truck load after truck load to Juarez and it was selling for 2.00 to 2.20 in Mexico. Same diesel that was refined here locally in the US. Fuel prices are a scam.

In case you did not know ... Fuel prices are highly influenced by tax. And ... this is a big reason that we hurt less in Texas than in other Union States.

Diesel has always been cheaper to refine. It carries a higher tax burden because politics and trees need hugged.

Diesel taxes are spread across consumers because diesel is an upstream cost of BUSINESS that shows up in pricing of everything transported. Politics goes lighter on gas 'cause voters see and feel that burden directly which directly affects votes.

Edit to add:
    So, this post got me thinking ... you've been warned. But ...

Legislation demanding gas stations post actual prices instead of tax included pricing would be transparency at its finest. Fuel is taxed at a minimum of three levels - Fed, State and Local. Disclosing the rates to the general public would be awesome. Yes, it would be hard on the math challenged. But, buying 10 gallons at $2 per gallon would have you running the pump to $20 and once stopped the pump adds $10 to $20 in tax for a payment due of $30 to $40 with tax. Surely this is beyond the grasp of our public education standards. But if pricing per gallon was reported at the pump like $2 for gas, 50% Fed Tax, 25% State Tax, 10% local tax so the total pump price for that $2/gal gas accumulated at $2 + $1 + $.50 + $.20 or $3.70 per gallon ... consumers would know their posteriors were bleeding. This might lead to a better understanding of the cost, waste and corruption in government. This would result in serious growth in the number of conservative focused voters once media started investigating and reporting on how these entities are manipulating and allocating these tax revenues.

I know ... but.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I remember when diesels were simple, reliable work horses, too bad those days are gone
    Yep, 200 HP, 500 lbs of torque, and highway speeds up to 60mph in a pick up truck were great.......

I fully agree that they are overcomplicated these days but the numbers they put out are very impressive.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I'm trying to remember but diesel prices were once about 70% the price of gas. When did that last occur, back in the 80's?
    My friend bought a van with the first real diesel Chevy made. ( not the converted 350) 6.2 liter in 82 if I can remember that far back. The month after he bought it gas and diesel prices flipped.

Top Bottom