• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terran2k

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    San Antonio
    I went to buy my 1st gun at Acedemy this week, but my background check is delayed; it's been 2 days and still delayed. I don't have any warrants or anything, never been arrested or accused of any crimes. Should I be concerned that its been a couple days already and it's still delayed? the guy who was buying a gun at the same time as me got approved almost immediately.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Most likely it's an issue where you have a name that is associated with someone that has a record, etc., and they're checking to be sure it's not them. Stuff like that happens from time to time. Generally speaking, nothing much to do about it unless it happens regularly. Things like that is what makes having a CHL worthwhile!

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    By law, you're NOT required to be called in for "approval" if you have a CHL. Raise a stink if they try to!

Oh I'm fully aware of that and have raised a stink but its the same b.s. "it's store policy" but that's why I don't like buying stuff from corporate owns stores. Having a chl is awesome though, I bought a m1a from Bachman pawn at a gun show and there was 30-40 people in line for their nics checks and I just cruised to the front of the line thanks to the ole chl. People in line were pissed "why does he get to skip the line?"

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    When I bought my RIA1911 Sunday, the guy I bought it from said he had 15 sales/possible sales and all were delayed. Mine was delayed when he first called the operator, but was told to Proceed by the 2nd lady they transferred him to. I was the first one he had all week that got the gun the same day.

As he explained it to me, was how TRN explained it. It goes thru the database and if you're name is close to someone who has had background issues you get delayed. But like myself, got cleared by the 2nd operator that can take a closer look than the 1st one.

I read somewhere the other day that if the FFL doesn't hear back from the NICS after 3 days they can sell the weapon? Wondering if this is true, not trying to give off false information, simply questioning what I read the other day.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    And if you continue having issues being delayed and decide not to get a CHL, there is a form somewhere in the ATF internets that's intended to stop that from happening.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I read somewhere the other day that if the FFL doesn't hear back from the NICS after 3 days they can sell the weapon? Wondering if this is true, not trying to give off false information, simply questioning what I read the other day.

This is true. After 3 entire business days have passed the FFL holder may sell the firearm.

terran2k

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    San Antonio
    Thanks for all the replies, I am not sure Acedemy follows the 3 day rule. I'll have to keep calling them 2x a day until I get a yes or no. Don't know why, but it sure is stressful waiting....

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I believe You can get a pin number through any ffl to avoid the delay. It helps id You quicker. I have got the delay a few times. They will never call You with a proceed. You just go in after 3 business days, and pick up Your gun.

michael e

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Houston
    I got Denied before, that was a hassel. Took 27 days for them to say it was a mistake, you get a letter from them that is only good for 30 days from the start, so really only 3 days, it's only good at the dealer you got denied at. I went and got my CHL after that, now no more waiting or wondering if they can figure out I am not the person in prison.
    As for Academy, picked up a mp 15-22 saturday. Gave him CHL and he didn't call it in.

rebelguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    carrollton
    I've gotten denied every time I bought a gun before I got my CHL and when I called they said it had something to do with the security clearance I have. I dont know if you have anything like that but I found it extremely frustrating that those of us that have had a WAY more extensive background check have to go through this process then get delayed because of it.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've gotten denied every time I bought a gun before I got my CHL and when I called they said it had something to do with the security clearance I have. I dont know if you have anything like that but I found it extremely frustrating that those of us that have had a WAY more extensive background check have to go through this process then get delayed because of it.

That's kind of weird because I've never had any problems with the NICS or other "checks" when buying a handgun. I have a Top Secret clearance and the gun store employee is on the phone for less than 5 minutes. It takes longer to read off all my information than to get the OK. Maybe going through the TS/SSBI (Top Secret/Single Scope Background Investigation) for my clearance took care of most of the shit.

And, if I would get off my old ass
    oldfartanimated.gif
    and get my CCW (CHL), I wouldn't even have to wait for the phone call and could save the $25 charge.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    A security clearance has nothing to do with your denial. The FBI NICS database does not query for that. There is no reason for it to.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dom765
    Top Bottom