• ...and so much more!
  • mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    I went into Academy yesterday to purchase a firearm. After about a 30 minute wait the guy told me my background check was delayed. I'm a little bit curious. I have a LTC, my job requires a pretty strict bg check (I'm a teacher). I've got a clean record (one dwi over 20 years ago in college). I've purchased firearms from that location before with no problems. I'm wondering if it's due to it being 4th of July weekend? Any of you have any ideas on what could cause this?
    Venture Surplus ad

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    That is Academy's policy..............

Another policy they have concerning being delayed......if the NICS never gives them an answer.........they will not transfer the firearm even after 3 business days which is Federal law........

When they don't give a yes or no, it just appears as "open" when I check status. After 3 business days I may still transfer the firearm.....Academy won't...

There is legislation in Congress trying to change it 7 or 10 days, I don't remember which...

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I got delayed once and I've passed an NSA background check. Probably someone with a similar name. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

pbratton

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Sugar Land, Tx
    That is Academy's policy..............

Another policy they have concerning being delayed......if the NICS never gives them an answer.........they will not transfer the firearm even after 3 business days which is Federal law........

When they don't give a yes or no, it just appears as "open" when I check status. After 3 business days I may still transfer the firearm.....Academy won't...

There is legislation in Congress trying to change it 7 or 10 days, I don't remember which...

ATF Guideline says that after three days and no notice from the ATF, the DEALER has the final say to complete the transaction or not.

Academy has chosen to be extra cautious with regard to their ATF interactions.

You always have the choice to go somewhere else.

mavs

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2021
    Texas
    What others have said. Texas LTC bypasses NICS. One of the reasons is needs to be renewed every 5 years.
    I would not buy a gun from a FFL that still did BG checks for a LTC holder.
    Why not ? If they have the gun you want and at a price you like, and you can't find it for the same deal somewhere else, what's the BFD ?

Top Bottom