• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I have seen that clip. I think the book is worthy of a full length movie. How about you?

Is that the one they've been working on for years but can't get the funding to finish it? I remember reading that certain donation amounts would get you dinner with the director in San Antonio or something? I guess it's dead now.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Wish they would make a movie out of "One Second After". But it would be kind of a dark movie. "Lights Out" was another post-EMP book, but it was more G rated and didn't devolve into cannibalism like "One Second After" did. I guess "Lights Out" could be a made-for-TV version.

Interesting bit. I grew up in a town mentioned in "One Second After", and the MUCH better half in one mentioned in "Lights Out".

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Wish they would make a movie out of "One Second After". But it would be kind of a dark movie. "Lights Out" was another post-EMP book, but it was more G rated and didn't devolve into cannibalism like "One Second After" did. I guess "Lights Out" could be a made-for-TV version.

Interesting bit. I grew up in a town mentioned in "One Second After", and the MUCH better half in one mentioned in "Lights Out".

I just finished One Second After about 20 minutes ago. It's great book to open naive minds, that's for sure.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I just finished One Second After about 20 minutes ago. It's great book to open naive minds, that's for sure.

Yep. Couple places mentioned in there. Marion (mentioned toward the end) was a little town I grew up in. And I knew a few people that worked at the Broughton hospital mentioned as the birthplace of the cannibals.

I think you can still download a copy of "Lights Out". It's a bit more sanitized version of the same thing. But it does mention a few things not discussed in "One Second After". Biggest issue is the dogs. When food becomes scarce, a lot of people will put their dogs out on the street and they'll become feral. Don't think they touched on that in OSA.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Don't think they touched on that in OSA.
    Been awhile since I read the book, but I remember the main character's dog dying of starvation and they made soup out if it. They gave the soup to the neighbors because they couldn't bring themselves to eat it.

I see my dog as a very valuable resource that I wouldn't want to eat, but sorry doggie... you're the last part of my emergency food rations ;)

I can't see things ever getting so bleak it would come to that, tho. Maybe if there was a nuclear winter or similar...

Last edited:

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Been awhile since I read the book, but I remember the main character's dog dying of starvation and they made soup out if it. They gave the soup to the neighbors because they couldn't bring themselves to eat it.

I see my dog as a very valuable resource that I wouldn't want to eat, but sorry doggie... you're the last part of my emergency food rations ;)

I can't see things ever getting so bleak it would come to that, tho. Maybe if there was a nuclear winter or similar...

I recall they did eat one of the dogs. I think it was shortly before the end of the story. But I don't think they addressed any of the strays becoming feral. In rural areas (and Black Mountain isn't exactly urban) I could see that as a problem.

And I've read that during the time before the start of the Berlin airlift (as the Ruskies had blockaded off West Berlin) that they referred to dachshunds as "blockade mutton".

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I recall they did eat one of the dogs. I think it was shortly before the end of the story. But I don't think they addressed any of the strays becoming feral. In rural areas (and Black Mountain isn't exactly urban) I could see that as a problem.
    If people are that hungry, I'm pretty sure strays won't be an issue.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    I love my pooch (I'd have to to put up with her destructive nature) but if it came down to keeping her around as a companion, or keeping my family from starving it's quite obvious what I would do. You'd think this would be everyone's response, but it's incredible how many people would say they would rather eat their own arm than their dog in a situation like that. Priorities: some people don't have them straight.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Yep. Couple places mentioned in there. Marion (mentioned toward the end) was a little town I grew up in. And I knew a few people that worked at the Broughton hospital mentioned as the birthplace of the cannibals.

I think you can still download a copy of "Lights Out". It's a bit more sanitized version of the same thing. But it does mention a few things not discussed in "One Second After". Biggest issue is the dogs. When food becomes scarce, a lot of people will put their dogs out on the street and they'll become feral. Don't think they touched on that in OSA.

They did discuss that actually. John the main character, refused to eat his dog and vote not to in the community . He ended up having his mother in law shooting one of his dogs after a marauder broke into his house wounding it. He gave it to his neighbors to consume because he couldn't do it. The second of his dogs, he killed after his daughter died after dying from type 1 diabetes when the meds ran out. The dog was bones and only kept it to keep his daughters spirit up. He gave that one to a neighbor too, I believe.

It was open season on ferrel dogs or released dogs.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Read Founders along with Patriots, they are intertwined. Allot of good info in Patriots.

Finished "Patriots" over the weekend. A lot of similarities to "Lights Out" with a dash of "One Second After". IMO, it was heavily gear-centered. Talked about all the gear prep the group had done before TSHTF. Could have done with a little less of that and a little more story. Still, a decent read. Just put "Day of Wrath" on the Kindle.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Finished "Day of Wrath" over the last weekend. It was, to say the least, a dark book. But if people knew of the reality of the mindset of ISIS, they wouldn't be shocked by it. If you've seen any unedited video of ISIS dirty work, you could easily see something like this taking place. Though I believe if they were to attack, it wouldn't be a pattern. Random violence would cause more panic.

I can see this leaving an opening for a sequel. But also see a good reason just to leave it be and let it just stand on its own.

Will Beararms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    North Texas
    You read alot about prepping these days and alot of folks are doing it. The thing I see alot is most folks are all about going it on their own and think they will be able to get out of the city they live in.

We believe prepping should be a neighborhood thing and that entire blocks should get to know each other now and band together.

You cannot help but think about this with all the very stupid moves our politicians are making with regards to our border security and international diplomacy.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    You read a lot about prepping these days and alot of folks are doing it. The thing I see a lot is most folks are all about going it on their own and think they will be able to get out of the city they live in.

We believe prepping should be a neighborhood thing and that entire blocks should get to know each other now and band together.

This. Lights Out did focus on a neighborhood banding together to repel the BG's. So did One Second After to a lesser extent. OSA was more of a township banding together out of necessity than anything else.

But the main thing that will help getting through something like a major SHTF scenario would be reliance on one another. You may be prepared with lots of food and ammo. But even though you have 100 guns and a million rounds of ammo, you can't fend off a large gang by yourself. It would take teamwork. Which would be more effective in defending a location, one guy with 100 guns, or 50 people with one each? And a team of people could put together an organized defense, including construction of trenches, barricades, etc. A single individual would be better at evading a gang, but not at fighting one. And if you're evading, you can't carry but so much food and water with you.

Top Bottom