• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10-96inTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    HK USP40 V1 (DA/SA) I've had it for going on 30 years and it's one pistol I'll never let go of. I don't carry it as much as I used to but it's a great pistol.

image0(8).jpeg

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    DA/SA w decocker, ie, no safety.
    <>

I was taught for 1911’s, to carry fully cocked.

To store w/round in chamber, one must disengage “safeties” and press trigger while maintaining manual control of the hammer, going to “half-cock”.

I’ve always done that pointed to soft earth or to very thick telephone books, etc.

Never an “AD”, but it is a time for great concentration & caution.

Is there a better way ?

(I’ve only got one 1911 remaining)

<>

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Many years ago I tried an EAA Witness .40 that had a DA/SA trigger.... didn't like it.

1911 SA for me!

But my current EDC is striker fired.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Drop the mag, cycle the slide to eject the round, pull the trigger to drop hammer.

"Shooter unload and show clear"
    <>

No, that is standard for range & some military, but around the house, I WANT a live round in the pipe. For decades, our “bedside” or under-the-mattress weapon was a loaded 1911.

<>

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    <>

No, that is standard for range & some military, but around the house, I WANT a live round in the pipe. For decades, our “bedside” or under-the-mattress weapon was a loaded 1911.

<>

It was intended as joshing you.

I agree about a round in the chamber. That is the reason I chose not to use my 2011 as a nightstand drawer gun "cocked and locked" (eta: and rattling around in a drawer with other items), which IMO is the only way to use a 1911 platform handgun.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    It was intended as joshing you.

I agree about a round in the chamber. That is the reason I chose not to use my 2011 as a nightstand drawer gun "cocked and locked", which IMO is the only way to use a 1911 platform handgun.
    <>

Yes, growing up we had a PPK, 2 revolvers, an extra .22 revolver, and Dad’s WWII Colt 1911.

But I had loads of spare bbls, mags, springs, ammo, etc. for the .45. So, that was my EDC for everything over .22LR. Was in an “O C” State, and carried frequently, no one ever paid attention to it back then.

Back around 1993, there was a brouhaha about the GLOCK supposedly being invisible to X-Ray. I was a Radiologist in Austin at the time, someone brought us a loaded GLOCK 17 to X-Ray, just to see.

The X-Rays destroyed that myth, as they clearly showed a big pistol full of cartridges.

I was a bit curious & bought two, but they just sat in safe for about 10 years, unfired. I was carrying a Smith 3913 w/ some custom work.

A Son (Not the ATF one) took my 3913 to New Orleans and got it stolen.

So I bought a GALCO Scout for the G19, have been carrying one of those since. We now have a bunch of GLOCKS and find them reliable & easy to understand. Getting older, with arthritic hands & wrists; the 9mm’s are used mostly.

When out in wilderness or on a hog hunt, I still carry .45’s.

<>

Top Bottom