• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I would notify law enforcement. My use of force would be reserved for when it was actually justified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I would notify law enforcement. My use of force would be reserved for when it was actually justified.

Younggun,

How do you KNOW when the use of force is "actually justified"??
    (Speaking only for myself, I have NO crystal ball.)

yours, satx

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    easy rider,

So you wouldn't be at all concerned if some obviously "unbalanced" person like the woman, who reportedly threatened the Cruz family, threatened your wife/children??

Having been shot, stabbed, bludgeoned with a club & intentionally run-down with a PU after having had those criminals threaten me, perhaps I take what TX law calls "terroristic threats" more seriously than a civilian does.

yours, tex
    First of all, if someone was threatening a loved one of mine, I probably put myself between and let whomever is doing the threatening know, in no uncertain terms, that they would have to go through me. If they were to take a swing at me, then of course, I will defend myself in any way appropriate to the situation.

If I felt that a threat was made in such a way that I was certain they would follow up on it, then I would have to inform the authorities and take whatever measures I deem suitable. If I get myself thrown in jail, then I most certainly won't be there to defend my loved ones.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    First of all, if someone was threatening a loved one of mine, I probably put myself between and let whomever is doing the threatening know, in no uncertain terms, that they would have to go through me. If they were to take a swing at me, then of course, I will defend myself in any way appropriate to the situation.

If I felt that a threat was made in such a way that I was certain they would follow up on it, then I would have to inform the authorities and take whatever measures I deem suitable. If I get myself thrown in jail, then I most certainly won't be there to defend my loved ones.

easy rider,

While I applaud your determination to protect your loved ones & yourself from harm, I doubt that you can protect your children at all times at school & to/from playtime & to/from school.
    (Obviously, notifying LE is a good plan but the local PD/SD is NOT going to monitor your children until/unless there is an attempt to actually harm them.)

yours, satx

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Younggun,

How do you KNOW when the use of force is "actually justified"??
    (Speaking only for myself, I have NO crystal ball.)

yours, satx

When the threat was eminent. Not just a mouthy snowflake virtue signaling.

For example: “I’m going to kill you” then picks up broken bottle and advances. The words alone are not justification.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Younggun,

So a threat against your wife/kids from a mentally unbalanced person from the large group of HATE-FILLED Anti-Trump LEFTISTS wouldn't concern you??

yours, satx

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My experience and training have taught me that the combination of words, deeds, and mental attitudes present in each situation are unique. We have no choice but to suss them out in the moment and cope as best we can.

I've been kidnapped by someone who held me for a day, all the while telling me he wanted to kill me. I listened a lot and talked only a little. He eventually felt a bond with me and let me go. The situation was ultimately so non-threatening that I didn't bother to call the police and let my agency Inspectors handle it.

OTOH, someone once offhandedly threatened to burn down my house. I knew he came from a family in which one member had committed arson and another had done prison time for arson. Arson, I knew, was, in his mind, a reasonable way to handle a dispute. That earned an immediate call to uniformed law enforcement and I made a report of a terroristic threat.

Whether it's Cruz, me, or anyone on this board, when someone says they know where I live or where your kids go to school, it falls on each of us to make a unique, useful-only-in-that-particular-place-and-time judgement call. No one can predict in advance what it will be. We just have to understand the principles under which we live our lives, act accordingly, and hope we make the right call.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Seems there is a lot of inconsistency in this discussion.

A: “Cruz got thrown heckled by a bunch is snowflakes”

B: “We need to start getting physical with these bastards”

A: “That’s not a smart way to deal with snowflake hecklers”

B: “So if someone came in your house and tried to rape your wife for supporting Trump you would just stand there.”

A: “No, I’m saying we need to be smart about dealing with these snowflakes”

B: “So you’re saying I’m a lobster.”

Look, squirrel! I don't see a correlation btw post disaster SD and stopping these crazy nuts intent on dismantling our laws and the Republic.
    Honestly, I doubt my suggestion will materialize. I see too many elected officials and citizens on the right content to compromise with the left.
    I see a far greater threat to the Republic and citizens' liberty than ever before. It is death of the nation by a thousand cuts and decay and decadence will be our downfall before ISIS ever will. There is no changing of the minds that will take place. Right does not capitulate with wrong if right is to overcome. We use to vanquish our enemies, now we are content if they don't bother us too much.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    easy rider,

While I applaud your determination to protect your loved ones & yourself from harm, I doubt that you can protect your children at all times at school & to/from playtime & to/from school.
    (Obviously, notifying LE is a good plan but the local PD/SD is NOT going to monitor your children until/unless there is an attempt to actually harm them.)

yours, satx
    You're right, I can't. I also can't say that I won't get struck by lightning, but I'm not going to stay inside to avoid that from ever happening, nor shoot at the clouds to chase them away. It's been my experience that if someone was actually out to kill me, they probably aren't going to threaten me about it first.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    easy rider,

Once more (SIGH), I am NOT talking about threats against you or me, as we are both adult males but rather about explicit threats against CHILDREN at school & at play.

Had anyone made a threat concerning my daughter (when she was school-aged), I would have taken ANY such a threat VERY seriously, regardless of any other incident or lack thereof. = CRAZY people often do VIOLENT, horrid, things to children.
    (In my years as a LEO, I witnessed/investigated the aftermath of terrible crimes that were visited upon unsuspecting/innocent children.)

yours, satx

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    easy rider,

Once more (SIGH), I am NOT talking about threats against you or me, as we are both adult males but rather about explicit threats against CHILDREN at school & at play.

Had anyone made a threat concerning my daughter (when she was school-aged), I would have taken ANY such a threat VERY seriously, regardless of any other incident or lack thereof. = CRAZY people often do VIOLENT, horrid, things to children.
    (In my years as a LEO, I witnessed/investigated the aftermath of terrible crimes that were visited upon unsuspecting/innocent children.)

yours, satx

And if you react in a way that is inconsistent with current law you will be arrested and charged. How will you protect your family from a jail cell?

People often make terrible mistakes when emotions are running high. People often present a much more aggressive posture when giving their opinions online. And people often talk very tough when in a crowd.

If someone makes a threat against my children I will notify law enforcement. Taking other steps at that time, under many circumstances, would only put me in a position where I would not be able to provide for or protect my family.

As Ben said earlier, threats can be made with very little need to be concerned, or with an incredible need for concern. I’ll bet Mr Cruz has a file cabinets worth of similar threats made via emails, letters, and phone calls. If twitter or FB were counted they would probably need a new server to store them.

Words are not violence. They are often stupid, mostly meaningless, and sometimes worthy of reaction.

The left does these things in hopes that someone will over react. They need to be attacked in order to justify all the violence and attacks they claim to endure. T Cruz was perfect in his reaction. I’m sure LE were notified, and hopefully some of the harassers were picked up. In the mean time, more people were drawn away from the left due to the childish tantrum of the protesters and the calm and collected demeaned of Cruz. This is how the right will win the culture war. And being that politics is downstream of culture it’s a war that must be won.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    easy rider,

yours, satx
    I take threats against those I love as personal threats, I thought I made that clear. If you go around hitting or shooting people for what they say, what are you going to do from a jail cell?

Kingarthur777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2018
    Livingston
    My experience and training have taught me that the combination of words, deeds, and mental attitudes present in each situation are unique. We have no choice but to suss them out in the moment and cope as best we can.

I've been kidnapped by someone who held me for a day, all the while telling me he wanted to kill me. I listened a lot and talked only a little. He eventually felt a bond with me and let me go. The situation was ultimately so non-threatening that I didn't bother to call the police and let my agency Inspectors handle it.

OTOH, someone once offhandedly threatened to burn down my house. I knew he came from a family in which one member had committed arson and another had done prison time for arson. Arson, I knew, was, in his mind, a reasonable way to handle a dispute. That earned an immediate call to uniformed law enforcement and I made a report of a terroristic threat.

Whether it's Cruz, me, or anyone on this board, when someone says they know where I live or where your kids go to school, it falls on each of us to make a unique, useful-only-in-that-particular-place-and-time judgement call. No one can predict in advance what it will be. We just have to understand the principles under which we live our lives, act accordingly, and hope we make the right call.

Here is the thing. People are creatures of habit. I did surveillance many years ago on a drug dealer's wife dropping her kids off at school. If I was a rival drug dealer, I could have done tremendous damage. Then I caught the husband taking off to the middle dealer we wanted in the first place.

Here is my point. If someone wants you dead, you are dead. If they are willing to trade their life for yours, there really isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Fortunately, for these drug dealing schmucks, I was the good guys and not the bad guys. Why did Cruz do what he did. He knows what I know. No one is untouchable, no one.

Top Bottom