Creative Ideas For Inherited Reloaded Ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    Long story short: my Dad passed away several years ago, he did a lot of reloading, and I have several thousand rounds of ammo he reloaded complete with his reloading notes. I can't bring myself to shoot any of it because it's basically priceless to me. Right now it sits in ammo cans surrounded by large amounts of silica gel. I am looking for something creative I can do with this ammo to honor my Dad. Any ideas?

Hello,

Condolences to you on the LOSS of your Father.

I mean NO offense to you but if you honored your Dad and what he gave you, you should SHOOT IT!

What good does a bunch of STUFF including reloaded ammunition that you do TRUST and is SAFE TO SHOOT that he made while he was in GOOD HEALTH, etc. do sitting there PILED UP?!

And what does CREATIVE mean in your last sentence?

How can you be CREATIVE with ANY AMMUNITION other than shooting it? Eventually shooting it.

If you want to KEEP HIS OLD RELOADING NOTES and ONE as in 1 Cartridge of EACH CALIBER that he reloaded for... you could put that in some sort of a MEMORY BOX or stick it inside of a glass case or put those FEW CARTRIDGES INSIDE of ONE AMMO CAN and stow it away with his notes.

Again, I am sorry for your LOSS but think about what your DAD would want you to do with HIS STUFF.

I will read the rest of this thread since I ONLY read your post here and decided to reply to you.

Please do not take offense and if you think or KNOW that the ammo was made properly while he was in GOOD HEALTH and STORED PROPERLY all of this time, SHOOT IT UP, ENJOY YOUR TIME and memories of your LOVING FATHER.

Sincerely,

Old Lady Cate

PS: I have heard horror stories and READ stories of 'reloading ammunition' where the surviving WIFE, children, etc. had a PILE OF AMMO that was reloaded and it could not be sold of course.

The WIDOW did not know if the dead husband was reloading some of the ammo while he was still in good health mentally/physically and could not SORT OR DETERMINE the time frame since there were NO DATES on the cans even though he had reloading notes scattered about.

So someone in the END bought it for the COMPONENTS DIRT CHEAP with the stipulation that it ALL BE TAKEN APART FOR SAFETY REASONS, powder dumped, etc. and since HE was not licensed to 'sell ammo' and it was NOT FACTORY ammo - it was a PAIN.

The dead man had reloaded TONS of ammo in one main caliber which I can't remember now. The one man who BOUGHT IT ALL SAVED the BRASS, BULLETS and PRIMERS (?). My husband even remembers this story from an OLD long gone forum and some other situations like it too. WE are discussing this right now over coffee.

MY own husband reloads (Since the early 70's.) and HIS NOTES are INSIDE and on EACH green reloading plastic box with DATES. He saves his targets too.

He USED TO RELOAD a LOT at a time since he used to compete often and shoot a LOT more than now. He NO LONGER reloads large batches at a time. AMMO cans and MORE ammo cans of reloaded ammo on hand with NOTES IN EACH CAN and stored properly. ETC! I know because I helped him with ALL OF HIS STUFF and CANS (!) when I built this house and right BEFORE he started to downsize, consolidate calibers, etc. BEFORE, during and after his retirement. Plus him moving and lifting ALL of that where I could only lift and sort some items one at a time. HE DID THE CANS.

THAT IS ALL SHOT UP NOW too! He no longer competes too.

IF my DEAR husband died before me, his 1 to 3 close friends would get ANY reloaded ammo even with his SPECIFIC notes for FREE FROM ME with the agreement that they would TAKE IT APART for safety reasons even though they have shot each others ammo in the past. HE ONLY WILL SHOOT ammo from those 1 to 3 men and one of them does it for a LIVING being LICENSED to do this.

WE already GAVE AWAY a BUNCH OF GUN STUFF and books from a to z.
    What they do not want, which most likely, they would want it ALL, would go to the LIBRARY BOOK WISE. I do NOT want it and will I NOT use it.

I gave HIM my special books from a MI CABELA'S STORE on reloading that I bought with my late husband before his cancer discovery/death. We were on a trip there with friends many YEARS AGO. When I knew that I would NOT reload, after he died, eventually - I gifted him that BIG HORNADY 2 VOLUME SET that was very nice with pictures, history, reloading stats, etc.

One BOOK was for handguns and one book was for rifles.

Even though my husband gave a LOT of reloading stuff and reloading and other GUN books AWAY, he still has a BUNCH of the RELOADING BOOKS on hand from different authors and companies. OMG!

HIS BOOKS - his choice!

Typos!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom