• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kalena

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland
    I may be selling one of my dad's guns to my ex-husband, I'm not particularly looking forward to it, but if he's not smart enough to price check and offer me $50 more than buying a new one, yeah I'll totally take his money :what:

I have never sold a gun in Texas, do I need to do a transfer of ownership? Is that even a thing? From what I can gather, a bill of sale will do the trick, unless I wanna mess with going thru a FFL. I'm not even sure if it's in Dad's name at the moment.
    ARJ Defense ad

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Get a hold of this guy. He was the FFL I used when I lived in Midland. He also helped me in getting my License and I trust him.

Terrance Ohlmann
    Action Sporting Arms

1309 Cotton Flat Rd
    Midland, TX 79701
    (432) 528-9902 (Phone)

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Are you helping your mom sell the guns, as in she actually owns them now?
    Does she live here in Texas?
    She could sell the guns herself without going through the FFL, if selling to other Texans.

Kalena

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland
    Yep, I'm just helping/doing the leg work on selling them, we're both in Midland, she never did any transfer of ownership or anything when Dad died.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yep, I'm just helping/doing the leg work on selling them, we're both in Midland, she never did any transfer of ownership or anything when Dad died.

No transfer of ownership required, as I presume she inherited them from your father.

ETA: Marital property may be a more correct term.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Maybe I'm different but what happens between 2 people is no damn concern of the governments. I don't car where they live. Her mother is selling the guns, not her. They belong to her mother unless mom gives them to her and again that's none of the governments business. Guns don't have titles like cars that have to be transferred. If she feels her ex is setting her up for an "illegal out of state sale" it's simple, work out the deal and have him pay and pick it up from mom. Problem solved.

BOS my ass.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    No transfer of ownership required,

What he said. They aren't like cars. They aren't in anybody's name. As long as they aren't restricted items like machine guns, short barreled rifles or suppressors. Those are a horse of a different color but it seems you don't have any of those to deal with.

Many (most?) on this forum hold a BoS in dim regard. They are pretty much worthless IMO and not legally required.

If your mother is a Texas resident then the guns are now hers and she can do a private sale face to face without involving an FFL. Can only sell to a Texas resident and you cannot knowingly sell to a prohibited person.

Bears saying but I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice and is worth what you paid for it. :)

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    No transfer of ownership required, as I presume she inherited them from your father.
    I agree, however, being as how they are "moms" but you (from OOState) are selling them off (maybe without her being present?) I feel you are really walking the Thin Blue Line. Wouldnt hold up in court.

Not worth it to avoid a 25 dollar FFL fee.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I guess some folks are just paranoid. A DEALER can't sell to OOS. Show me where that applies to an individual? I thought ATF regulated dealers, not individuals.

Top Bottom