• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've had one for a few years, and love it! I consider them to be some of the best AKs on the market!

First, if it's a Century build (which most likely it is), then make sure the front sight isn't canted. If it is, they will fix it if it is but you'll have to send it back to them.

Otherwise, they are great AKs! Some people don't like the folding stock, but do the paracord mod (wrap it on the side your cheek rests on, Google or ask if you have questions) and shoot the heck out of it! They're built like tanks with the 1.5mm thick receiver which adds rigidity but still allows some flex.

They'll accept all standard AK magazines, and I've run a Bulgarian drum on mine without a problem. Polymer mags are light but they don't hold up well; but if you really want them than I recommend the TAPCO ones. They don't always work as well as the metal mags, but they are lighter.

Also, if you want the infamous Yugo "bolt hold open" (BHO) option, you'll need to get Yugo AK mags. The only difference is that the follower comes all the way to the top and has a back portion that catches the bolt after the last round is fired. Once you remove the magazine, the bolt goes forward so the only benefit from this feature is being an indicator that the magazine is empty. They do not help in magazine changes, as you'll still have to cycle the bolt to load the first round. I've got one, but don't use it any more than any of my non-BHO magazines.

The same goes for ammo, they'll eat anything; just remember that the barrel is not chrome-lined so you'll want to clean it after shooting it. I just picked up a 1260-round can/case of Romanian ammo at the gun show, I don't expect any problems with it as I've run Tiger, Bear and many other brands of 7.62x39 through my Yugos without a problem. It is an AK, y'know, well known for it reliability!

Many (myself included) aren't big fans of the black polymer furniture that comes on them. It was cool at first, but when I picked up my Arsenal Saiga SGL20 I realized who ugly it was in comparison. Contact Steve at Two River Arms, they get in some nice handguards on occasion and sell them at a pretty good price. Pics (to include mine) can be found in this thread.

The best forums for the AK are The AK Forum and The AK Files, but there are others. I've just found those two to be the most informative.

Hope that helps, and congrats on that new Yugo!

Cheers! M2

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Great post and info...Theres more AK brands out there than you can count on fingers and toes, both stamped and milled receivers, and a world of acessories to go with them for they who like add ons. Some owners play the "my dogs bigger than your dog" game and avow everything besides their particular AK is junk but reading the different forums tend to hint toward the better of the rifles. Some folks claim a WASR is junk, mine is a dandy, no problems, accurate per AK specs and keeps my happy. Then there is the reknowned Saiga, Russian made that can be turned into a AK47 near look alike for a few bucks.

Due to the loads of cheap ammo for them, the AK-74 has become quite popular but I have passed on those as most of the ammo on the market is corrosive and weapon cleaning following firing is definitly called for. I don't think most owners have any problem with this, however.

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    Thanks. First one and from my understanding probably lead to more. I dont plan on cluttering it up with extras, I like it just the way it is. I think the polymer furniture might be the only change, maybe green if not the wood. Cant find a pic of one with green furniture and mags with the underfolder anywhere, I can't be the first to wonder about it. When you used the drum, did the weight of 75 rds help balance or no real difference? It sure feels like a well built rig and bulkier than other ak's but not in a bad way if that makes sense. It is built on the Global Machine and Tool receiver, and the sight looks perfectly aligned. However I think the front flip sight is supposed to be night sight, looks like its missing or something, and the back are also(just the paint not the actual sight). Was going with an ar but 22 vs 30 and here I am. Really am a fan of the 7.62x39, and the price I got, feels like I stole this one. $350 otd. Wasr 10 at the last show I was at was $400, and I believe this Yugo to be a little nicer. Now just need to get out and run trough some rounds.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The drum is about 5 lbs loaded, and considering it's location it doesn't really do much for recoil given that it puts the weight on the COG. If anything, it just adds weight, and I use it more on my M72 (Yugo RPK with a bipod) than with my AKs. Still, I've used it on a Draco, just for shits and giggles; but honestly they aren't a viable replacement for the traditional 30-round magazine if you ask me.

It sounds like you've scored a good M70 at a great price, I prefer the Yugos over the WASRs but to be honest either can be quite sweet or a real PITA!

Arsenal does sell some AK models in OD green, here is a SGL20 just to give you an idea of what it looks like...

0129891.jpg

You can also see why I prefer the handguards on my SGl over the plain black polymer ones.

As for the 5.45 vs 7.62, I still prefer the latter for the larger size and rumor is that some Russian units are going back to it. The AK-74 does have a flatter projectory and higher velocities due to the smaller bullet, but they are finding it just doesn't perform like 7.62. Sure, it's a little more costly; but I prefer the round that's "traditional" for the AK. YMMV.

My only warning is how addicting AKs can be. I've been lucky and found a few great rifles at decent prices, but I could easily spend three times what I do on them! As cuate said, there are many variations out there to suite anyone's needs; right now I am debating SBR'ing my Draco but I almost hate to do it as there's nothing cooler than an AK pistol. Maybe if I can score another one for $350 delivered, but for now it's gonna stay as it was built.

Cheers! M2

mito

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Great find on your rifle. So how are you liking your AK after a few months of ownership?

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    anyone have first hand experience with the yugo m70ab2? Best mags to operate with, drums, ammo? pros or cons versus all the others out there?

When you're discussing the AK platform, there are no "best mags". The communists didn't play "The capitalism game", and they made sure that all the mags produced for the AK were able to work in any other AK.

So long as you use milsurp/milspec mags produced by a communist country for issue, it's a good mag.

It's when you go for commerical-quality aftermarket mags that problems can arise. . .

mito

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Truly sad to report that I have yet to fire the weapon. I know, I know but I have been extremely busy with work. I'm sure I will enjoy it...eventually.

burden come on brother!!!?!?!?!? Get out to the range shoot that bad boy!!! Let us know how you like it. I love mine!

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    Finally made my way to the range today after (during) work. This m70 is sweet. I must admit the underfolder buttstock didnt look like it was going to be to pleasant at all, but all concerns were gone with the first shot. Its length of pull is as perfect as I can get even with adjustable stocks. I dont see any G2 markings, but the trigger is smooth and crisp with absolutely no trigger slap. I only managed 250 rounds down range at 50yds (the place was full, no open lanes at any 100 yds or pistol range) I was about 6" high at 50. I really wish I hadnt left my sight tool at home :/ The only thing I noticed was how f'ing hot the plastic stock and handguard got, I will be tracking down some wood replacements. All in all I think its a great rifle. Made the guy next to me with an sks with every accessory known to man flinch when he paid $100 more for his than I did for mine.

mito

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Now thats a happy ending to a story. Glad to hear you finally made it out and its all you expectations are filled.

Top Bottom