• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    How precise is that?

I don't recall what the circular error of probability is, but it's pretty accurate. I'm guessing, but I'd say within a mile which is close enough for SAR teams. Perhaps not for government tracking.

Even so, I seem to recall that with location service, GPS, wifi, and Bluetooth off, android phones store location data and report it back later. So, you're still being tracked. I don't recall the source of that info and I could be wrong.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I don't recall what the circular error of probability is, but it's pretty accurate. I'm guessing, but I'd say within a mile which is close enough for SAR teams. Perhaps not for government tracking.

Even so, I seem to recall that with location service, GPS, wifi, and Bluetooth off, android phones store location data and report it back later. So, you're still being tracked. I don't recall the source of that info and I could be wrong.

So then obviously, it's tracking some other way?
    I could understand reporting back later, if that stuff was still on, but not if off.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I do wonder if cell towers can triangulate a position though.
    Yes, they can. They use a mode called time difference of arrival (TDOA) to triangulate. It will not be as accurate as if they had your GPS data, but it gets them close. I agree with the statement that if you turn OFF location, WiFi, and Bluetooth you should be good FOR NOW. Do I think they cannot turn on a "stealth mode" on your phone when they want to? No.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Your cellphone can be tracked even when it's turned off. It's like a computer is never really off just asleep, mostly. Some things can be active even when off IF programmed that way.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Your cellphone can be tracked even when it's turned off. It's like a computer is never really off just asleep, mostly. Some things can be active even when off if programmed that way.

Same question....

"So, does one need to be being "investigated" to be followed like this, or could it happen on a "whim", say 3 weeks later?"

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    So, does one need to be being "investigated" to be followed like this, or could it happen on a "whim", say 3 weeks later?

I'm not sure what you're asking. From what I understand, the data is stored and then uploaded when you connect to wifi/mobile data/etc. I know in SAR, old data has been used to find missing persons. While I would think it would take a warrant or probable cause for "officials" to access that data, I wouldn't be money on that requirement.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'm not sure what you're asking. From what I understand, the data is stored and then uploaded when you connect to wifi/mobile data/etc. I know in SAR, old data has been used to find missing persons. While I would think it would take a warrant or probable cause for "officials" to access that data, I wouldn't be money on that requirement.

Sorry, wondering if the info could be gleaned if needed at a later date, if the individual was not being investigated at the time?
    Just that it's there forever, if needed to be found?
    But I reckon your last post covered that.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Same question....

"So, does one need to be being "investigated" to be followed like this, or could it happen on a "whim", say 3 weeks later?"

If your on the latest build of iOS or Android, then the API hook is built in for contact tracing. Theoretically what is needed next is an app that you load to set the hook and reels you into the contact tracing net.

https://www.apple.com/covid19/contacttracing

Having said that, both the phone companies and the OS maker for your device can find your phone’s fairly quickly once the appropriate warrants are served.

I’m not going into how easily .gov can find you, but if there’s an aviation department in your local LE agency, it’s pretty easy for them, too (at least on the technical side).

To any entity wanting to find you, unless the battery can be physically removed, a phone is always on whether you think it is or not.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    A number of years ago I sold a lot of analog cell phones that my son gave me when he worked for a major carrier. I read that people who did not want to be tracked paid top dollar for analog phones so I put what I thought was a ridiculously high price on the Nokia phones on eBay and sold them all the same day.

For some folks, old tech is best

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That's about all I have to say myself.

Not sure if it would help, but maybe the cheap flip phone from Walmart I have might need to be my regular phone. I don't think it is "smart" in any way, but I could be wrong.

Did you pay cash for it?

Do you only use cash or minutes cards to replenish?

Have you ever used the number for anything connected to your name or address?

Top Bottom